Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
the LX which makes a very distinct kerr-chingggggg
...sort of like an old-fashioned cash register....$$$

Steve
10-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #33
Site Supporter

I just listened to my Minolta srT201 at 1/1000. It went, shlinka. Generally, I like the sound of the pre-spottie bodies, especially the K.

Last edited by Blue; 10-08-2012 at 10:52 AM.
10-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #34
Inactive Account

If you want something for candid shots, get a rangefinder with a leaf shutter. My Yashica Electro gives off a faint click and that's it.

10-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
stonk, slap, flip, clang, ring, snap, plop, shhhaaamff, shhaaamff...riki...riki..riki, clunk, kerr-chingggggg!
I'm glad Car Talk is on radio.

Chris
10-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by samtr87 Quote
If you want something for candid shots, get a rangefinder with a leaf shutter. My Yashica Electro gives off a faint click and that's it.
Exactly. If shooting 35mm film and wishing to be unobtrusive, a leaf shutter is the way to go. Any of the various Yashica, Minolta, Canon, or Ricoh rangefinders will do quite nicely.

Edit: Forgot to add Olympus to the list...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-27-2012 at 04:16 PM.
10-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Exactly. If shooting 35mm film and wishing to be unobtrusive, a leaf shutter is the way to go. Any of the various Yashica, Minolta, Canon, or Ricoh rangefinders will do quite nicely.

Steve
Even so! Of my Pentax gear my K-5 is the quietest, but it ain't film. For the sneaky stuff I go to my Vitessa L with the f2 Ultron. Barely audible even to the shooter.

10-31-2012, 10:54 AM   #38

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hilo Quote
Perhaps someone here can compare the MX to the ME Super?

Btw, could new mirror shocks lead to a quieter camera?
I can answer these.

The ME Super is much quieter than the MX, but still a bit loud (compared to modern film SLRs and any copal-leaf shutter camera) . I had the ME Super for several years before acquiring an MX. When I got the MX, I was shocked at how loud it was.

I also just got my MX Cla'd by Eric, and a new shutter bumper did nothing to make it quieter. Interestingly enough, however is this: having a roll of film loaded does make the MX significantly quieter. There are several resonances that the MX makes when fired empty. As an audio engineer, I notice these kinds of things...
10-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #39
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jakeblues Quote
I can answer these.

The ME Super is much quieter than the MX, but still a bit loud (compared to modern film SLRs and any copal-leaf shutter camera) . I had the ME Super for several years before acquiring an MX. When I got the MX, I was shocked at how loud it was.

I also just got my MX Cla'd by Eric, and a new shutter bumper did nothing to make it quieter. Interestingly enough, however is this: having a roll of film loaded does make the MX significantly quieter. There are several resonances that the MX makes when fired empty. As an audio engineer, I notice these kinds of things...
Thanks, yes the film changes the sound, I have noticed this too. With some cameras more than with others. I still find the ME Super totally acceptable when I don't want to be heard. Rangefinders are great soundwise. Unfortunately my brain and my eyes don't get along with them, never have . . . I need to see that in & out of focus stuff