Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #31
Forum Member
poppaneedsanap's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 71


10-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #32
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,483
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
the LX which makes a very distinct kerr-chingggggg
...sort of like an old-fashioned cash register....$$$


Steve
10-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #33
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
I just listened to my Minolta srT201 at 1/1000. It went, shlinka. Generally, I like the sound of the pre-spottie bodies, especially the K.

Last edited by Blue; 10-08-2012 at 10:52 AM.
10-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #34
Inactive Account




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 246
If you want something for candid shots, get a rangefinder with a leaf shutter. My Yashica Electro gives off a faint click and that's it.

10-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #35
Pentaxian
ChrisPlatt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 4,865
QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
stonk, slap, flip, clang, ring, snap, plop, shhhaaamff, shhaaamff...riki...riki..riki, clunk, kerr-chingggggg!
I'm glad Car Talk is on radio.

Chris
10-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #36
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,483
QuoteOriginally posted by samtr87 Quote
If you want something for candid shots, get a rangefinder with a leaf shutter. My Yashica Electro gives off a faint click and that's it.
Exactly. If shooting 35mm film and wishing to be unobtrusive, a leaf shutter is the way to go. Any of the various Yashica, Minolta, Canon, or Ricoh rangefinders will do quite nicely.

Edit: Forgot to add Olympus to the list...


Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-27-2012 at 04:16 PM.
10-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #37
Site Supporter
grhazelton's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jonesboro, GA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,829
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Exactly. If shooting 35mm film and wishing to be unobtrusive, a leaf shutter is the way to go. Any of the various Yashica, Minolta, Canon, or Ricoh rangefinders will do quite nicely.


Steve
Even so! Of my Pentax gear my K-5 is the quietest, but it ain't film. For the sneaky stuff I go to my Vitessa L with the f2 Ultron. Barely audible even to the shooter.
10-31-2012, 10:54 AM   #38
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Photos: Albums
Posts: 167
QuoteOriginally posted by Hilo Quote
Perhaps someone here can compare the MX to the ME Super?

Btw, could new mirror shocks lead to a quieter camera?
I can answer these.

The ME Super is much quieter than the MX, but still a bit loud (compared to modern film SLRs and any copal-leaf shutter camera) . I had the ME Super for several years before acquiring an MX. When I got the MX, I was shocked at how loud it was.

I also just got my MX Cla'd by Eric, and a new shutter bumper did nothing to make it quieter. Interestingly enough, however is this: having a roll of film loaded does make the MX significantly quieter. There are several resonances that the MX makes when fired empty. As an audio engineer, I notice these kinds of things...

10-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #39
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 161
QuoteOriginally posted by jakeblues Quote
I can answer these.

The ME Super is much quieter than the MX, but still a bit loud (compared to modern film SLRs and any copal-leaf shutter camera) . I had the ME Super for several years before acquiring an MX. When I got the MX, I was shocked at how loud it was.

I also just got my MX Cla'd by Eric, and a new shutter bumper did nothing to make it quieter. Interestingly enough, however is this: having a roll of film loaded does make the MX significantly quieter. There are several resonances that the MX makes when fired empty. As an audio engineer, I notice these kinds of things...
Thanks, yes the film changes the sound, I have noticed this too. With some cameras more than with others. I still find the ME Super totally acceptable when I don't want to be heard. Rangefinders are great soundwise. Unfortunately my brain and my eyes don't get along with them, never have . . . I need to see that in & out of focus stuff
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
contax, pentax, pentax film
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Pentax ZX-7 (same as MZ-7) film camera khaangaaroo Sold Items 2 09-08-2012 10:12 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax ZX-5 film camera photolady95 Sold Items 3 02-13-2012 06:24 PM
The K5 is quiet, very quiet compared to my Kx! VoiceOfReason Pentax K-5 12 01-11-2012 04:04 PM
QUIET, so QUIET!!! K-5 was delivered today!! luke0622 Pentax K-5 8 10-18-2010 08:59 PM
Quiet film SLR - can take DA lenses too? dugrant153 Pentax Film SLR Discussion 19 11-14-2009 02:38 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:48 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top