Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2008, 02:14 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, Monochrome...and me with an old 600 LMS in the closet and only two more packs of film in the freezer...gotta lay in a few more when the tax return cometh!

03-03-2008, 11:05 AM   #62
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
So now I want to hear your story.
Hey Jim... actually, as the owner of an Asahi "S," I'd like to hear how you came by yours... do you use it? Mine needs a little work. Do you have any recommendations in terms of someone you might use for such work? I do have a reliable person, but always looking for further references...

Best,

woof!
03-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #63
Veteran Member

In USE:

Pentax K10D ...................................DSLR (ca 3500 photos)
Canon IXUS 75 + OW housing...........P&S (ca 600 photos)
Sony T20 ........................................P&S (ca 1200 photos)
Panasonic FZ5 .................................Super Zoom (ca 7500 photos)

On the shelf:

Ricoh Singlex TLS ............................ SLR My first camera (ca 1200 photos)
Asahi Pentax ME Super ..................... SLR (ca 600 photos)
Minolta 5000 SLR ............................. SLR + AF using this one for over 15 years (ca 4000 photos)
Sea & Sea MX 10 + flash .................. UW Camera (ca 500 photos)
Minotla Highmatic G ......................... P&S (no estimate)
Canon Canonette 28 ........................ P&S (no estimate)
Box camera 6x6 cm film ................... NA (belonged to my grandmother)
Folding camera 6x6 cm film .............. NA (belonged to my mother)

The cameras that I appreciate the most are:

1. The FZ5, wonderfull lens!, so small and light. SR works at 432mm! Almost always good pictures. Maybe I'll replace it with a FZ18 soon.
2. K10D SLR and digital. Great pictures. Too bad it is so heavy....
3. My 35 year old Ricoh Singlex TLS. With a darkroom at home, I discovered photography.
4. Canon IXUS in the UW house. You should see some of the UW pictures we made.

- Bert
03-03-2008, 01:46 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Hey Jim... actually, as the owner of an Asahi "S," I'd like to hear how you came by yours... do you use it? Mine needs a little work. Do you have any recommendations in terms of someone you might use for such work? I do have a reliable person, but always looking for further references...

Best,

woof!
I found it on a web auction a few years back. Not sure if the seller knew that it's is a collector's camera. I don't use it right now, have big plans though. No but it has some problem with the shutter curtain, seems like it's become stiff with time. Slow times do not work well, faster times seems to work well but I haven't tested it with film. I have many times planned to test it with film but have never come to do so...

I have no idea about service in the US, I just know of one or two local small shops that have a good reputation. You'll have to ask people living closer to you. What's the problem with your "S"?

-Jimfear

03-03-2008, 05:03 PM   #65

Pick this one up last night at a Cash Convter Store. Came with a 50 1.7, 50 1.4, a Tamron 71-210 with the P/KA mount. It was dusty and had no batteries.

03-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #66
Inactive Account

I have no idea about service in the US, I just know of one or two local small shops that have a good reputation. You'll have to ask people living closer to you. What's the problem with your "S"?
Sorry, didn't realize where you are...

Not all that much wrong with mine. Every once in a while it throws a "wind up" where the shutter releases basically in an unregulated fashion. This happens about once in 25 shutter actuations. A CLA and a tune up should fix matters. I have a working parts camera that should stand in in the event that any parts are needed. Other than that it's Mint-.

I got it for a song... the guy I bought it from did not know what it was. No excuses, as he was a camera dealer.

Until I got this one I was afraid to use my 1957 Asahi AP (forerunner of the "S" with funky shutter speeds 50/100/200/500). Now I use my AP a lot. They are nice cameras. That f/2.2 55mm has beautiful color rendition. I highly recommend getting it fixed.

Kind regards,

woof
09-03-2008, 03:09 AM   #67
Inactive Account

Pentax S

Hello all. I just found this site, and my interest was piqued by the posts on the Pentax S that a couple of you have. I just picked one up from a thrift store, with the 55mm 2.2 lens - in nearly perfect condition. Does anyone know how many of these are around now? I've read on several sites that these were uncommon to rare to begin with - how desirable are they?

My cameras:

Asahi Pentax S
Pentax Auto 110
Voiglander Bessa II
Rollei 35
Tessina L
Minolta Autocord LMX
Exakta VX II
Zorki 4
Zeiss Contaflex
Olympus XAs (XA, XA4 Macro, XA2, XA2)
Kodak Stereo
Kodak Retina IIS
Kodak Vest Pocket
Kodak Panoram

Which ones do I use?
The Rollei 35, XAs, and I've used the Zorki & Exakta. The S only came to me this week, along with the Tessina L.

09-03-2008, 03:24 AM   #68
Banned

Spotmatic ESII
Spotmatic F
KX
K1000
MX
ME-F
K110D

I use both the MX and K110D on a regular basis, though recently I have been grabbing the ME-F a lot (its a recent acquisition). I want to use the Spotmatic ESII more but for some reason never get around to it.
09-03-2008, 03:58 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Just got back this workhorse that was on long term loan to a friend.
Time to work those arm muscles...

09-03-2008, 04:48 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Own a KM (recently found after almost 10 years being lost in a box of my son's stuff), an MX (with winder) and a Program Plus. All are going in for CLA this fall and will see periodic use. The MX was my workhorse and I expect it will see the most 35mm use.

I'm looking for an LX and am considering picking up a 645NI to replace my Bronica ETR...

I also soooo want an Auto 110... I have a lead on a 95% complete set (camera and all lenses in original box just missing a few of the filters) for $250.... very tempting but after spending $1400 on Alien Bees last week my wife won't open the bank account.
09-04-2008, 02:41 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by quanto Quote
Hello all. I just found this site, and my interest was piqued by the posts on the Pentax S that a couple of you have. I just picked one up from a thrift store, with the 55mm 2.2 lens - in nearly perfect condition. Does anyone know how many of these are around now? I've read on several sites that these were uncommon to rare to begin with - how desirable are they?
I have no idea how many there are left of them but I think I have read somewhere that under 5000 were made all in all so there can't be to many in circulation.

According to this page the Pentax S is the least produced standard camera from AOC.
09-04-2008, 07:49 AM   #72
Inactive Account

M42 mount
H1a*
S1a (just CLA'd and new curtain) *
H3 (currently inop)
H3v (works but needs CLA)
Spotmatic II *

K mount
K1000 (needs CLA and new curtain)
KX *
Super Program (wife's camera) *
ME *
2 MX *

Digital
K100D Super *

Parts bodies
H3v
SV
MX (with working Data Back)
Program Plus

Anything with a * beside it I use.

CW
09-04-2008, 09:12 AM   #73
Veteran Member

That I actually use, a K10D and a SuperProgram.

I don't see that many people around here with SuperPrograms, why is that? I just shot a roll of Kodak BW400CN through it and am quite impressed with the results. I got it in a bundle that had a lens I was after and I thought I would test it before selling it on. But now I don't want to sell it

LBA is hard enough to deal with, I don't want to add CBA into the mix too

Last edited by Miserere; 09-08-2008 at 07:55 AM.
09-04-2008, 10:15 AM   #74
Inactive Account

I have no idea how many there are left of them but I think I have read somewhere that under 5000 were made all in all so there can't be to many in circulation.

According to this page the Pentax S is the least produced standard camera from AOC.
I read that too. Also read that the total production of the original AP series (AP, S & K) were less than the Nikon SP. Early Pentaxes aren't as rabidly collected as are Nikons or early Canons, from what I gather. If the S was one of those, it'd be worth a mint.

Forgot to add a Mamiya Magazine 35, another oddity, and a Voigtlander Bessa 46 to my list......
12-14-2008, 09:15 AM   #75

Digital

Canon D60
Pentax K100D

Film

Rangefinder
Fed 3B
Kiev 4A
Kiev 4
Voigtlander Bessa 2A
Voigtlander Bessa 4A
Leica M6
Leica M7

SLR
Canon EOS 5QD
Canon EOS 300
Minolta X-300
Minolta XG-M
Minolta X-700
GAF (Chinon clone) LC-S
Ricoh XR-10M
Ricoh XR-20 Super
Ricoh XR-X3PF
Praktica TL-1000
Praktica MTL5
Praktica BCS
Praktica B-100
Praktica BX-20s
Pentax Spotmatic F x2
Pentax ES
Pentax K-1000
Pentax ME Super
Pentax P3N
Pentax P5
Pentax SF-1N
Pentax MZ-6 (ZX-L)

120 Format

Non-SLR
Moskva 5
Seagull 104A
Seagull 203-II
Rolleicord Vb
Rolleiflex T
Rolleiflex 2.8D

SLR
Bronica ETRC
Bronica ETRS
Bronica SQB
Bronica SQA
Bronica SQAi
Bronica GS-1
Mamiya RB 67 Pro-S
Mamiya RB 67 Pro-SD
Hasselblad EL-M
Hasselblad 500C/M x2
Pentax 67

I try to circulate in usage of all these fine cameras.
Unfortunately, I must have never touched some of these during the past year! Photography can be very addictive!!!!

Last edited by silverliner; 12-15-2008 at 06:03 AM.