Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2008, 09:40 PM   #91
Inactive Account

I own a K200D and a Spotmatic F and use both, however I'm going to be selling my K200D. I like using my Spot better, and would prefer to put the money into Takumars and perhaps other film bodies to play with.

01-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #92
Forum Member

I use all of my cameras. None sit for more than a week.

K10D
IstDS2
K20D

Spotmatic
ZX-M
LX
ME Super
SF1

Looking for:

GrandPrix K10D
Black LX
01-02-2009, 11:19 PM   #93
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxperson Quote
Looking for:

GrandPrix K10D
Black LX
Why are there so few classic Pentax bodies out there in black? Don't get me wrong, the silver/black is timeless, and definitely gets it's fair share of looks from passerby where I don't think the black ones would today, being as though most camera equipment is black now. But frankly, the Spotmatic in black is a hot looking camera.
01-03-2009, 08:47 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drewdlephone Quote
Why are there so few classic Pentax bodies out there in black? Don't get me wrong, the silver/black is timeless, and definitely gets it's fair share of looks from passerby where I don't think the black ones would today, being as though most camera equipment is black now. But frankly, the Spotmatic in black is a hot looking camera.
I didn't actually know they *made* the LX in chrome.

I tend to prefer the black, myself, though some chrome ones are really beautiful, especially from way back in the day.

My active film stable is mostly Canon; I've got a 'New F-1,' and an A-1, classic combo, and an FTBn and a chrome AE-1P (the latter two are slated for some well-deserved and long overdue maintenance before they're really back in service. Also a couple of chrome FT's that are sort of up on blocks in the backyard, metaphorically-speaking. (they have different metering faults, so I'm hoping to combine them into a fully-working camera (and also they're one of those custom-color projects waiting to happen) )

Also a Canonet G-III awaiting field testing (for the lens, mostly, there's some damage to the coating which may or may not be a problem in my intended use) and also slated for some custom color work cause that's just too much fun. Also a Kodak Signet 35 which finally needs some shutter lube (If you don't know about these, fun-fun old school mini-rangefinder, beautiful little lens for B&W and still cheap, unlike Canonets)

And my old Mamiya 645 which has shiny chrome-chrome and keeps being mistaken for a Hassie at quick glances.

And, of course, an ME Super I just got to go with the Pentax glass that's coming along bit by bit.

01-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #95

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I tend to prefer the black, myself, though some chrome ones are really beautiful, especially from way back in the day.
After many years out of photography I bought a Lumix FZ30 in May of 2007. About a year later I upgraded to an FZ50 and then a few months after that I bought a Nikon D60. But I missed film, so after keeping an eye on Ebay I found a good deal on a Pentax MX with three lenses. My second SLR, and my first really serious camera was an MX which replaced the somewhat less than perfect Vivitar I learned on. Oh how I missed that camera. I sold it when I finally gave up on ever being able to afford my old addiction. Before I got married, I had a job that provided access to a darkroom. Then I got laid off, and being young newlyweds, the apartment we shared did not have room for a darkroom, and I could not begin to hope to afford decent processing without doing it myself. My camera sat unused for some years, and during a financial crisis I sold it at a terrible loss.

So, years later, divorced, relocated across the country, and in a well paying job, I decided to stick my toe back in the water. Oh well, now photography once again eats up a part of my paycheck. I do mostly digital, but I plan to start doing more film with my Pentax.

My only regret is that I still can't seem to afford a black MX body. Thirty years ago they cost too much, and the ones on Ebay go for a premium as well. So, I once again have a chrome MX. And once again, I am still thinkng I might, eventually, when I can afford it, get an LX. But my "new" MX does a nice job. But now I have to learn all the new films. The ones I knew are mostly gone, or have changed significantly.
01-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #96
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Akkkk!! CBA attack...

I bought a chrome KX on eBay last week (BIN for $105). I didn't need another film body, but wanted a K-mount backup for my Ricoh XR7. So the roster currently reads (in order by age):
  • Ricoh Singlex TLS
  • Pentax KX
  • Olympus XA
  • Ricoh XR7
  • Canon G2
  • Pentax K10D

The worst part is that I am watching yet another body auction...

Steve

(I just love to hold those old bodies...umm, I mean cameras...)
01-05-2009, 05:49 PM   #97

Photos: Gallery
I have an Asahi Pentax S1A(my first camera I bought in 1968), Spotmatic II, 2 Me Supers, 2 ZX-5N's,K100D, and K20D. Also, an Olympus C 2000z and a Canon Mk IIN.

I use the 2 digital Pentaxes, the Canon(for sports),a ZX-5N and believe it or not the S1A. It requires no batteries. It always works and with a 50mm lens fits in my coat pocket.
T
I have 35-40 Pentax lenses from Tak's to DA's, as well as the odd Sigma, Tamron,
Tokina, Vivatar, Zeis, And Contax. After all, I"ve had 41 years to do this.

01-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #98
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Akkkk!! CBA attack...

I bought a chrome KX on eBay last week (BIN for $105). I didn't need another film body, but wanted a K-mount backup for my Ricoh XR7. So the roster currently reads (in order by age):
  • Ricoh Singlex TLS
  • Pentax KX
  • Olympus XA
  • Ricoh XR7
  • Canon G2
  • Pentax K10D

Steve

Update:

The KX arrived today with the packaging in good condition. Unfortunately, despite a reasonably clean exterior, the camera is not completely functional. The aperture coupler is sprung (will not allow apertures wider than f/8) and the mirror lock-up is broken along with the flash synch. The mirror is also deeply scratched and the battery cover is both jammed and damaged so that I could not get it off to assess the meter.

I was expecting to have to spring for new seals, but damage to the mirror box or lens coupling usually means the cost to repair is far beyond the value of all but a collector camera.

Bummer.

With any luck, the seller will honor his promise of 100% functionality.

Steve
01-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Now I thought I was overdoing it a little with two K10D bodies ... as I am only a basic amateur photog.

Now I come across a Spotmatic SP from my Mother-in-law that I saved from going in the garbage ... and I am purchase a pristine Spotmatic SP from a fellow forum member in Australia (100% working everything and immaculate).

So now I pretty much have:

K10D = 2
Spotmatic SP = 2

I guess I have to even it out ... just so there is balance.

I think I might look for some more M42 lenses to share around my bodies.
01-05-2009, 10:19 PM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
KX
MX
LX
Super-A
Program-A
MZ-5
*istDS
K20D
all in black except the MZ-5

MX was even used today, KX last week, Super-A used in summer last year, *istDS not so much since I got the K20D, the LX was used until a few weeks ago when it got the sticking mirror syndrom for the first time so it is up to be sent for service as soon as the weekends are over. The bodies that gets the least use is the Program-A (because the Super-A is better) and the MZ-5 that are not entirely relyable in that it sometimes doesn't wind the film a full frame forward (a common error with some of the MZ bodies). I'm definitely in a trend of shooting more film without shooting less digital, especially drawn back to real black and white film work .
01-06-2009, 01:24 AM   #101
Veteran Member

Akkkk!! CBA attack...

• Ricoh Singlex TLS
  • Pentax KX
  • Olympus XA
  • Ricoh XR7
  • Canon G2
  • Pentax K10D

Steve

Yup, I'm finding myself afflicted with CBA, too, much more than LBA. No worries, friend, you have company in your sickness.

$105 for a KX ain't bad at all. Congrats.
01-06-2009, 10:16 AM   #102
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Yup, I'm finding myself afflicted with CBA, too, much more than LBA. No worries, friend, you have company in your sickness.

$105 for a KX ain't bad at all. Congrats.
It would not have been too bad if it was operational. It looked good, but had fatal problems with the aperture coupling, mirror, flash synch, and battery cover. I am sending it back to the seller today.

Steve

(KX has been going at $65 - $125 at auction. This one was BIN and was advertised as 100% operational. Teaches me to ask the basic questions before laying down the bucks...)
01-06-2009, 02:20 PM   #103

K200D
Spotmatic F
Pentax 67
LX
Yashica Mat 124G
Minolta 7000
Minolta SRT201

Which camera I use depends on what I feel like shooting...but I tend to not let more than 3 weeks go between uses. I'm working more with my K200D right now, trying out different screw-mount lenses and pin-hole shots. By doing so, I can use more accurately use my manual lenses (IMO).

Vincent.
01-06-2009, 11:46 PM   #104
Veteran Member

It would not have been too bad if it was operational. It looked good, but had fatal problems with the aperture coupling, mirror, flash synch, and battery cover. I am sending it back to the seller today.

Steve

(KX has been going at $65 - $125 at auction. This one was BIN and was advertised as 100% operational. Teaches me to ask the basic questions before laying down the bucks...)
Oh, that's too bad. I do hope you get your money back.
01-07-2009, 12:34 AM   #105
Inactive Account

Film:
K1000
MX - I use this more than the K1000 a lot lighter and smaller

Digital
K110D

(planning to buy a K20D this year)