Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2012, 03:07 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
I measured all the pieces at my house, the list is quite long. . .

Are you saying that with the MZ-S you are limited to using the aperture ring on the lens and that the camera body doesn't have an aperture control option?

Great information @monochrome & @Lowell Goudge I really appreciate the input. I'll likely start looking around for the PZ-1 for my next adventure. I was too young to really shoot film. I had some fixed lens 35mm cameras but nothing that really taught me the art like some of you that were slightly older than me.
Yes I am, the MZ-S does not have a aperture controling body, it is controled through the lens. It is a pretty ingenious system, as you can go from Av to manual setting very quickly and back to Av again.

10-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The PZ-1p does the same thing, but one step above with the ability to control aperture from the body. With the PZ-1p's mode set to Hyper Program the camera will adjust shutter speed and aperture automatically. Move the aperture ring from the A setting and the mode changes to Av and the selected aperture is shown on the LCD. Additionally, rotate one dial and the camera is immediately in Av, controlling aperture from the body, rotate the other dial and the camera changes to shutter priority.
10-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
Yes I am, the MZ-S does not have a aperture controling body, it is controled through the lens. It is a pretty ingenious system, as you can go from Av to manual setting very quickly and back to Av again.
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Move the aperture ring from the A setting and the mode changes to Av and the selected aperture is shown on the LCD. Additionally, rotate one dial and the camera is immediately in Av, controlling aperture from the body, rotate the other dial and the camera changes to shutter priority.
Sounds like this is going to take some getting used to since I've not had the pleasure of shooting film thus far.
10-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Sounds like this is going to take some getting used to since I've not had the pleasure of shooting film thus far.
The PZ-1/PZ-1p bodies will work just like a K10D or any other digital bodies with 2 control dials. In M mode, front dial selects shutter speed and rear dial selects aperture, assuming aperture ring is set to "A".
In Av mode, rear dial adjust aperture, front dial adjust exposure compensation when used with the +/- button.
Hyper Program works the same as well.

With the MZ-S, Av mode is only available with the aperture ring set to a numeric value. Aperture selection is done with the ring (with F, FA lenses, aperture value is shown in finder), if the aperture ring is set to "A", only Program and Tv modes are available. If you're in P mode and you turn the main control dial, camera switches to Tv mode, pressing Green button returns camera to P mode. If you're in Av mode and you turn main control dial, camera switches to M mode instantly, pressing Green button returns camera to Av mode.
If you haven't shot much with film cameras, the PZ-1/PZ-1p bodies will be much more intuitive IMO.

10-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
the PZ-1/PZ-1p bodies will be much more intuitive IMO.
Thanks Colton, I must say your MZ-S looks very tempting though!
10-07-2012, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter

Thanks Colton, I must say your MZ-S looks very tempting though!
It should. In many people's minds, the MZ-S was the pinnacle of Pentax AF film camera design.

Steve
10-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm with Lowell, If you are only going to own the one film body it's tough to beat a PZ-1p (though i really like the Lx, KX,MX bodies as well but they of course are less automated)