Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Robrocker Quote
Hi everybody!

I have a nice black MX together with the 50mm f/1.7 lens, great combo but I think it would be fun with more options.
I know that I can mount the Pentax-M lenses and Pentax-K lenses on my camera but what other lenses can I get for it?

Can I, without any problem, mount Pentax-A lenses on my camera aswell?

Sorry if this is a common uestion..
you can actually even mount AF lenses.

the only ones you will have issue with are FA-J lenses and DA lenses as these lack aperture rings, and can only be effectively used on program plus and later A bodies. I say effectively because the FA-J lenses actually have a link for the aperture coupling so that the camera can meter, but you only shoot at minimum aperture (like F22) so use is pretty limited

10-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
you can actually even mount AF lenses.

the only ones you will have issue with are FA-J lenses and DA lenses as these lack aperture rings, and can only be effectively used on program plus and later A bodies. I say effectively because the FA-J lenses actually have a link for the aperture coupling so that the camera can meter, but you only shoot at minimum aperture (like F22) so use is pretty limited

Thank you Lowell! Good information.
10-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
There are a lot of good suggestions here and I agree with them. However I'd like to cover another angle. Do you plan to try other Pentax bodies?

Not knowing how familiar you are with Pentax I thought I'd give you something else to consider. One of the greatest things about Pentax is lens compatibility, meaning you can use your 50/1.7 on the newest DSLR offered without any adapters. You can also use any newer lens, as long as it has an aperture ring, on your MX.

If you'd like to use other newer Pentax cameras, such as auto focus bodies (film or DSLR), you may want to look at the F- and FA-series lenses. They'll work great on your MX too and be completely compatible with manual and auto focus cameras. The price will increase a bit with auto focus, but there are lenses in the 28, 50 and 135 range in those series.
Hi,
I am intending to go for K5 or K5IIs. I am not really familiar with moire problem and how to solve - means shoot without moiree. I do not have enough experience to exactly know what is the limitation of the camera.
EG. shooting in the city -scapes, sea, shooting people whom has a dress with patterns etc. I also do not know where is the limit of 16MP in terms of resolution.
I suppose Lightroom will do in case of moiree.
Greets.
10-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm fond of neither 50mm nor 28mm focal lengths for my 35mm film SLRs.

My Pentax film SLR has a 35mm (M35/2.0) "normal" lens mounted most of the time.
I also carry a short telephoto "portrait" lens (M100/2.8) which I use occasionally.

To me WA is 24mm and below. I have a 24mm lens which I seldom carry.
The same applies to my telephoto lenses (M135/3.5 and M200/4.0).

Chris

10-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by em-tx Quote
Hi,
I am intending to go for K5 or K5IIs. I am not really familiar with moire problem and how to solve - means shoot without moiree. I do not have enough experience to exactly know what is the limitation of the camera.
EG. shooting in the city -scapes, sea, shooting people whom has a dress with patterns etc. I also do not know where is the limit of 16MP in terms of resolution.
I suppose Lightroom will do in case of moiree.
Greets.
Sorry, I can't help you here. I don't know anything about the K-5 cameras or moire.
10-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I'm fond of neither 50mm nor 28mm focal lengths for my 35mm film SLRs.

My Pentax film SLR has a 35mm (M35/2.0) "normal" lens mounted most of the time.
I also carry a short telephoto "portrait" lens (M100/2.8) which I use occasionally.

To me WA is 24mm and below. I have a 24mm lens which I seldom carry.
The same applies to my telephoto lenses (M135/3.5 and M200/4.0).

Chris
I can understand the above comments as I believe 35-40mm film equiv is a great walk around fov. I therefore like a 28mm prime on APS-C as it equates to 42mm on FF. A 24mm would also do this job but are less common than 28's.
10-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
I can understand the above comments as I believe 35-40mm film equiv is a great walk around fov. I therefore like a 28mm prime on APS-C as it equates to 42mm on FF. A 24mm would also do this job but are less common than 28's.
Yes, 35mm makes a great walk-around lens. I shoot my FA 35/2 on my K-mount cameras and the Jupiter-12 35/2.8 on my FSU rangefinder cams.

Steve