Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some Film Shots from a Wedding

Shot's from my wife and I. We were both shooting on Pentax ME Supers. From this weekend

M 50 1.7 Fuji 400H

M 150 3.5 Fuji 400H

M 50 1.7 Fuji 400H converted to B/W

M 50 1.7 Fuji 400H

M 50 1.7 Fuji 400H

M 50 1.7 Fuji 400H

M 50 1.7 Fuji 400H

M 50 1.7 Fuji 400H

M 50 1.4 Delta 3200

M 50 1.4 Delta 3200

M 50 1.4 Tri-X 400

M 50 1.4 Tri-X400

M 50 1.7 Tri-X400

M 50 1.7 Tri-X400

M 50 1.7 Delta 3200

M 50 1.7 Delta 3200

M 50 1.4 Fuji 400H

10-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #2

I'm one for color, and the ones I like most are 4th, 5th and 6th.

By the way, the idea of shotting wedding with film still sounds kinda amazing to me. You do really how to bring out your personality during a job.
10-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love the kissing one from above... Very creative, and nice tones!
10-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter

This couple has every right to be thankful for your work! You must be quite familiar with using film for such a important occasion. I know before digital it was the most normal thing in the world but to do it in this digital age... No criticism intended!

10-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #5

Very good pictures ! Beautiful ! The pastel colors and the atmosphere are well shot !!!
Lately I have been looking at some wedding pictures, shot with film only (Jose Villa, Jonothan Canlas, Elizabeth Messina, Tanja Lippert to name a few) and all pictures were stunning!!! I have to say the colors are amazing. That is why I might buy a ME Super just to have some aperture priority settings. The question I have is though, if its possible to shoot with fully manual cameras such as KX or MX? Might be a hassle but to capture "that moment" I guess a ME Super is more sophisticated ??? What do you think?
Oh by the way Im just an enthusiast and no semi pro photographer
10-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
You must be quite familiar with using film for such a important occasion. I know before digital it was the most normal thing in the world but to do it in this digital age
Using film for a wedding makes a lot of sense inasmuch as the exposure latitude of negative film is huge. You can expose for deep shadows and still get detail in the Bride's dress.
10-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow, thanks everyone! Just to be clear, my wife and I also shoot digital but we keep a film camera on us as well. Though during certain parts of the wedding sometimes I just shoot film. We just got into film the beginning of summer and love it! I have always wanted a full frame Pentax and I finally got one
johnyates: the latitude of film is insane and perfect for shooting bright white dresses, I love it!!!
frogfrogy: Those people are amazing and I hope in another ten years I can achieve half of what they have! Also even with the ME Super my wife and I only shoot in manual, same with our digital cameras. If you are using a film camera in AV mode you really need a meter lock, otherwise it's really hard to expose properly in AV mode unless your subject is in the center of the frame.
Fries: Still a lot of missed shots, manual focusing is kicking my butt.
Ubuntu_user: Thank you, I am still trying to figure out how to scan it in correctly, can't really get the greens where I would like them.
10-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Nice work Montman. I think that film is perfect for weddings.
My sister's wedding was yesterday and I did a portrait shoot of her and the groom. I shot a roll of TMAX 400 with my 67 and a roll of New Portra 160 with a borrowed 645n.
I should get the New Portra back today.

10-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Nice work Montman. I think that film is perfect for weddings.
My sister's wedding was yesterday and I did a portrait shoot of her and the groom. I shot a roll of TMAX 400 with my 67 and a roll of New Portra 160 with a borrowed 645n.
I should get the New Portra back today.
Mmmm!!!! The Portra 160 is insane with 67. Zero grain and crazy good skin tones. Grate combo, love some TMAX 400 grain!!! I am in the middle of selling all my medium format gear, two Mamiya 645AF's, just to much of a hassle to scan in large quantities.
10-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #10

Nice shots, special the 'preparing for the wedding' pictures gives a good impresion of the ethos

Henk
10-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by montman Quote
Mmmm!!!! The Portra 160 is insane with 67. Zero grain and crazy good skin tones. Grate combo, love some TMAX 400 grain!!! I am in the middle of selling all my medium format gear, two Mamiya 645AF's, just to much of a hassle to scan in large quantities.
I don't think anything could make me get rid of my 67.
As it is, I have to ask friends/family to load it, change lenses, mount it on a tripod, (sometimes even fire the shutter), and then unload it and load film in my scanner etc., and if I had to choose 1 camera and give up the rest, I would keep the 67.
I don't really shoot 120 in large quantities though.
10-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by henkvanzuylen Quote
Nice shots, special the 'preparing for the wedding' pictures gives a good impresion of the ethos

Henk
Thanks! I always look forward to scanning in my wifes film, I love her getting ready shots. That is the very reason we only offer all day coverage for weddings. There is just something to be said for capturing the whole day.
10-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I don't think anything could make me get rid of my 67.
As it is, I have to ask friends/family to load it, change lenses, mount it on a tripod, (sometimes even fire the shutter), and then unload it and load film in my scanner etc., and if I had to choose 1 camera and give up the rest, I would keep the 67.
I don't really shoot 120 in large quantities though.
I will say, one of the Mamiya's will be funding a RZ67 Pro ii, mainly for my personal family shots and to shoot Polaroids at weddings. The 67 us a brick, it's awesome to see you rock it. Can't wait to see some pics.
If interested you can check out the rest of the wedding here. It's a mix of digital and film. The film is Pentax but the digital is either the Canon 5D Mark II or 5D Mark III.
Captivated Studio | Santa Barbara | Telluride | California & Colorado Wedding Photographer
10-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by montman Quote
I will say, one of the Mamiya's will be funding a RZ67 Pro ii, mainly for my personal family shots and to shoot Polaroids at weddings. The 67 us a brick, it's awesome to see you rock it. Can't wait to see some pics.
If interested you can check out the rest of the wedding here. It's a mix of digital and film. The film is Pentax but the digital is either the Canon 5D Mark II or 5D Mark III.
Captivated Studio | Santa Barbara | Telluride | California & Colorado Wedding Photographer
I checked out the link and you guys do great work. It definitely takes a lot of skill and hard work to be a good wedding photog and you guys do great work.
You should bring that RZ out to a shoot
10-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Swift1: Thanks! I might have to bring it along for maybe a roll. I have a 35mm auto carrier for my scanner, and my scans come out dust free and it takes me about 15 min to do one roll. But the 120 is all manual and I get a tone of dust on them.