Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2008, 05:20 AM   #1

Pentax MZ60 problem

A funny thing on the above camera - I took a roll of 36 exposures, only 24 came out. Looking at the negatives there is nothing on some of the frames - as in blank (Not darkened but the same colour and transparency of the part of the film where there is no picture)

Could this be a shutter problem?? - the blanks are random along the film - some were taken with flash indoors and some outdoors without flash. The pics were taken in one go.. i.e. one after the other on the same day - same subject matter..

The film is quite old but the prints that came out are perfect - no discolourization or anything (the film was kept in a cooler)

Any ideas as to how I can check to see what the problem is - the camera has also been shelved for quite a while before I started using again. It has only had one roll of film in it from new. The film was stored in the camera before I rewound it and took it out and put a unused roll in with new batteries.

Any assistance would be appreciated....

02-06-2008, 06:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Take the lens off and look into the camera while you fire off a few dozen shots. You should be able to see if the shutter is operating consistently or not.
02-06-2008, 08:28 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Take the lens off and look into the camera while you fire off a few dozen shots. You should be able to see if the shutter is operating consistently or not.
I have done that just this afternoon, seems to lift the mirror properly and I can see the rear door thru the lens opening - I am a bit stumped on this - will run another film through it and see what happens - maybe it was a bit "stiff" from not working for a few years.

On another point - will an Pentax 50mm A lens F1:1.7 not work in the camera? If I put it on the AV LCD flickers all the time even though the aperture ring is on A. It works fine on my K100D Super.
02-06-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

MZ60 Problem

I had a ZX60 (the US version) for a short while. I bought it on eBay from one of those liquidator companies. Big mistake.

The camera came with the 28-80 kit lens. It worked well for a little while, but then I started noticing the same thing you're seeing. More and more exposures came out completely blank.

I did what Mike suggested; remove the lens and fire the shutter. You can even open the back and do it. There is a little microswitch in the latch area that you have to defeat, or the shutter won't work.

It seemed to me that, intermittently, the closing shutter blade was closing too early. It seemed like it actually got ahead of the opening blade. This meant that there was no opening for light to pass through.

The odd thing was that I had one other AF lens, a Sigma 70-210 zoom, which worked fine on the camera. When that lens was on the camera, every shutter actuation was perfect. Put the kit lens on and fewer than half worked okay.

I did not have any other AF lenses to try and I had no other AF camera to try the kit lens on. For this reason, I was never able to determine, for sure, if it was the camera, or if the lens was somehow causing the shutter to fail. I really don't know how the lens could cause this, but the fact remained that it worked fine with the 70-210 zoom, but failed with the kit lens.

The thing I found really odd about the ZX60 was that it will operate with NO LENS AT ALL on the camera, but it will absolutely refuse to fire if you put a non-AF lens on it, or move the aperture ring off the "A" setting.

I never resolved the problem. I ended up selling it on eBay, with full disclosure of the problem, for about half what I paid for it. This doesn't help you much, I know.

Paul Noble

02-06-2008, 10:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I had a ZX60 (the US version) for a short while. I bought it on eBay from one of those liquidator companies. Big mistake.

The camera came with the 28-80 kit lens. It worked well for a little while, but then I started noticing the same thing you're seeing. More and more exposures came out completely blank.

I did what Mike suggested; remove the lens and fire the shutter. You can even open the back and do it. There is a little microswitch in the latch area that you have to defeat, or the shutter won't work.

It seemed to me that, intermittently, the closing shutter blade was closing too early. It seemed like it actually got ahead of the opening blade. This meant that there was no opening for light to pass through.

The odd thing was that I had one other AF lens, a Sigma 70-210 zoom, which worked fine on the camera. When that lens was on the camera, every shutter actuation was perfect. Put the kit lens on and fewer than half worked okay.

I did not have any other AF lenses to try and I had no other AF camera to try the kit lens on. For this reason, I was never able to determine, for sure, if it was the camera, or if the lens was somehow causing the shutter to fail. I really don't know how the lens could cause this, but the fact remained that it worked fine with the 70-210 zoom, but failed with the kit lens.

The thing I found really odd about the ZX60 was that it will operate with NO LENS AT ALL on the camera, but it will absolutely refuse to fire if you put a non-AF lens on it, or move the aperture ring off the "A" setting.

I never resolved the problem. I ended up selling it on eBay, with full disclosure of the problem, for about half what I paid for it. This doesn't help you much, I know.

Paul Noble
Thanks for the info - just to add, I have used the Kit lens (35 -80mm) on my K100D super and have not picked up any problems with it on the digital.

This is however very disappointing... Reviews on the camera are not so hot anyway...

I really enjoy using film as the camera is about half the weight of a digital and one tends to spend more time in setting up a shot as you know there is no review of what you have taken....

Will visit the camera shop later today... they have some very nice 2nd hand Pentax SLR's with good lenses at good prices...!

But then again - maybe I should cut my losses and stick to digital.
02-07-2008, 06:58 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
That MZ/ZX-60 is a POS, in my opinion. I had a shutter problem with mine too - the curtains had misaligned and only opened half way. It was an easy fix, but ruined 3 rolls of film while travelling.

Get rid of the camera, and pick up an MZ-5, MZ-6.

Mike
02-07-2008, 11:04 AM   #7

Original Poster
Pity I only found this out now - what about the MZ30 - can get one with the AA battery pack and a 28 to 80 lens. Good news is it works with my 50mm prime A lens. Its spotless

Last edited by pentaxing; 02-07-2008 at 11:17 AM.