Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Neveready cases

I've about a dozen screw mount Pentaxes and I have lost track of which case goes to which camera.

Outstanding are two cases marked Honeywell Pentax and one is a soft "wrinkled" leather case with a metal "eye" on the upper right. The other is a hard leather case with chrome trim.

Where is the definitive eveready case webpage? Can anyone give me any help? I suspect that at some point in time both cases were available as choices.

Any help?

10-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If I remember correctly, my S3 came with a brown hard leather case, while the Spotmatic F came with a black soft eveready case. Assuming AOC didn't provide options (I'm fairly sure the SP-F one came as standard, new) then this suggests an age-based relationship. Come to think of it, I'm also fairly certain my father's SV came with a black hard leather case.

Although the eveready case has fallen from favour, except I note that Pentax markets one for the Q, I prefer them to the newer padded shoulder cases, because they're lighter, less bulky, more easily accessible and mask shutter noise (not that the K-5 needs much, but the LX certainly does).
10-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's no reference page because "real" photographers disdain eveready cases.

The Dimitrov Pentax K website includes fitted case models for some camera bodies.

Chris
10-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The soft one with the eye came with my first Pentax Spotmatic. That's the old logo an eye and a crown. My SPII had one also, but the logo badge had fallen off. Later models I have the case seems stiffer to me and instead of the logo the word Pentax or Honeywell is imprinted on the case front.

"Real" photographers" be darned. I like my Spottie's old leather case, particularly the little metal logo. No doubt they'd disdain my love of colorful old hippie straps too, but I don't much care, sniff. Three things I still covet for my old Spottie kit. A genuine canvas rainbow strap circa the early 70's, an old hard sided leather kit case like those that you used to see with the Spotties, and a working Pentax Asahi black SPII.

Yes, I know I have a black Spottie F and a KX so what do I need with an Asahi black SPII? There is no justifying it. It's a total SPII obsession thing, what else can I say? My black Honeywell turned out to be a dud. I still haven't forgiven it yet. For one brief shining moment there I thought I finally had it, a working black SPII, sigh. As much as I love my SP-F and my KX, that's still like the "holy grail" of old SLR cameras for me a black Asahi SPII.

Well, okay, that's not all I want. I still want the 28mm, 85mm and 300mm M42 Taks too, but one can't be *too* greedy, lol. Yeah, I still have my 5 other Taks. Haven't sold them as yet. Must be fate for me to keep them because I honestly did try on CL and they just sat there. :P

Anyway, metal eye logo = early Spottie, I'm pretty sure....

Last edited by magkelly; 10-15-2012 at 04:39 PM.
10-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
There's no reference page because "real" photographers disdain eveready cases.

The Dimitrov Pentax K website includes fitted case models for some camera bodies.

Chris
'Emmms fighten' words...

I have at least half-cases for all of my film bodies and full cases for most. The way I look at it, the reason why so much of the vintage gear we use today is in such good shape is that the cameras and lenses were kept in the leather cases that they were sold with.

Now, that being said, I do have my issues with my cases:
  • I like hoods...most cases are not too compatible with most hoods
  • Unless they have a long snoot, they work poorly with zooms and longer lenses
  • I like working with a tripod and it is a pain to have to find someplace to stow the case when working in the field

Steve
10-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

BTW...The vintage pebble-grain Spotmatic cases fit all versions of that model as well as most of the K-series bodies. My KX is a little taller than a Spotmatic II, but the same case fits. The snoot is a little tight for the K 55/1.8, but still worth using with my compatible bodies. If it gets a little barked up, a little black paste shoe polish is good to make it look good as new.

My only disappointment is that the Spotmatic case will not fit my SV. The SV body is a little too short to clear the advance lever.

I have been tempted for some time to start making custom half-cases to fit these vintage cameras similar to the Zhou case that I have for my Canon P, only in padded ballistic nylon.

Steve
10-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As for which cases for which bodies...the camera manuals for many models have sections detailing the available accessories. That might be a good place to start.

Steve