Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
Forum Member

Please choose a lens for my ZX7, please ?

Hi everyone! I am on overload a bit w researching, so I am hopeful someone here can help me. I have a ZX7 with a Tamron 75-300 tele- macro and a Tamron 28-80.
My issue is that they are both very slow indoors. I wanted to get a prime lens 50 mm and have looked at The SMC 1.4 50 mm http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00005ABC5/ref=aw_d_detail?pd=1
Is this the lens to get? I shoot mostly my children, along w some action shots of fishing (bass) but I am doing that in manual with the tele lens as I am usually in another boat.

Anyhow, I had saved and sold items for a K5 and decided to stick with film. I put away right at 400 dollars for film and etc and think I "need" a prime. I am definitely a beginner here! So all help is welcome.

10-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Find one of the programs that analyze your shooting focal length preferences. One which also includes analysis of the aperture and other parameters is ExposurePlot, a freeware program. I've used it and it works. What I did was export really tiny jpegs (8x8 pixels) of every photo I took with the lens into a temporary hard drive folder, and then ran exposure plot against the images.

Take every image where you used your 28-80 and put jpegs in a folder so you can run the program without confusing yourself with more than one lens. You will see that you prefer to use the lens at a particular focal length more than the rest. Go to the lens reviews on this forum and look up all the lenses with a focal length close to that. Close means only one or two millimeters difference, not six or seven. You might find that 50mm is your preferred focal length, and you are then in luck, because you can find many not overly expensive 50 mm lenses, including the f/1.4 that you mention above. You might, however, find that working indoors you prefer a somewhat shorter focal length. 35mm would be common for general indoor shooting on 24x36. The 50 might be a bit longer than you like indoors.

Another more time consuming method would be to set your 28-80 at 28 and walk around indoors pointing the lens at potential subjects to see if that is too short for you. Then try it at 35 and 50. Which one felt better? Only you can say that xxx mm is the length you really want.
10-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by haycyn Quote
Hi everyone! I am on overload a bit w researching, so I am hopeful someone here can help me. I have a ZX7 with a Tamron 75-300 tele- macro and a Tamron 28-80.
My issue is that they are both very slow indoors. I wanted to get a prime lens 50 mm and have looked at The SMC 1.4 50 mm SMC Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4:Amazon:Camera & Photo
Is this the lens to get? I shoot mostly my children, along w some action shots of fishing (bass) but I am doing that in manual with the tele lens as I am usually in another boat.

Anyhow, I had saved and sold items for a K5 and decided to stick with film. I put away right at 400 dollars for film and etc and think I "need" a prime. I am definitely a beginner here! So all help is welcome.
The FA 50/1.4 is a great lens, can't really go wrong with it. Every 35mm shooter should have a fast fifty. You can often find nice, clean used ones for around $275.
Also check out the DAL 35/2.4, works well on film and much more affordable.
10-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
+1 for the DA35mm f2.4.

Great focal length on 35mm (and APSC, as it happens!) - works fully with your ZX7 or any DSLR which the future has in store for you. It's a classic 'environmental portrait' focal length on film.

50mm is also a good idea - there are good used options such as the F50/1.7 (and many manual focus versions) as well as the 50/1.4. They are ALL excellent.

10-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Pentax F SMC 50mm F 1 7 AF K AF with Original Caps Super Clean Mint | eBay

This is what I bought. I came across the auction with about an hour to go, so I didn't have time to pop in here and ask. I did some research on the boards, and did the best I could. I hope it goes well and is what I need/want.

Thoughts?
-------------------

I record the settings in a notepad for about 80% of my shots. Almost all fell in the 45-65mm range while indoors. Outdoors I am continually reaching for telephoto lens, of which they are all over the board about 45% in the 250-300mm range with the remainder mostly in the 150-250 range. I didn't realize that I am hardly ever in the 75-150mm range. This was great to analyze as I had thought I "needed" a 85mm fixed rather than a 50mm.

I am hoping to see how the AF goes on this lens. Mine are insanely slow, so much that manual is all I can shoot in indoors with the 28-80mm lens. This lens (the 28-80mm) has about a 6.75 rating here with the telephoto Macro having around a 7.5. So not the best of the best, but for where I am in photography they are just right...if that makes any sense

Last edited by haycyn; 10-21-2012 at 04:48 PM.
10-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
Inactive Account

The 50mm 1.7 has the speed

Hi Haycyn!! The "nifty fifty" will give you a lot of flexibility - especially indoors. You will be able to take photos of the children without flash in many cases. Really good for head and shoulder shots.The autofocus on a K5 is insanely fast. You will love it. Keep us posted with a 50mm gallery!!