Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #1

Different Black MX:s?

Hi

Just won a bidding on a black MX in like new condition with an A 50 1.7 for $130.

But compared to my old black MX the rewinding knob is silver and not black?

Are there different versions of these black MX:s?

10-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Odd since even my chrome MX has a black rewind but chrome handle?

10-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Black On Black?

My black MX has a black rewind knob and handle, same for all-black Me Super. Could be a different version, but my guess is that sometime in the last 30-40 years, it's been user-replaced. Silver knobs are much easier to come by.
Ron
10-20-2012, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's what I was thinking. Camera went in for repair and they just didn't have a black part...

10-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This reminds me that I must send my black MX for a CLA. I've had it for years and never used it! K.
10-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #6

Original Poster
Oh that sucks.

Anyone know how to change the rewind knob? i want the better looking version to be more original.
10-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
Giveaway winner!

The knob is easy to twist off... chances are that the person who swapped it didn't put thread lock on it either.
From the film compartment, wedge the prong that normally fits inside the cartridge to hold it stationary and spin the knob in the direction of counter-clockwise.

10-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks that was super easy.

now it looks absolutely fantastic!

the next step is to get an M 40mm pancake in mint condition to pair it with my MX toy.

edit:

ive found another "problem".

When closed and i try to wind it and take a picture (i dont have film rolls) the old one counts 1,2,3 etc. but the new one just goes one step and then back to start?

Last edited by striker_; 10-20-2012 at 12:49 PM.
10-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
Giveaway winner!

QuoteOriginally posted by striker_ Quote
...the new one just goes one step and then back to start?
Check the light seal in the area where the film door's tab goes into the counter reset. If the seals have degraded a lot and the gunk is easily pushed inside and will gum up the counter... otherwise the tension spring for it is detached.
10-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #10

Original Poster
The spring have tension but when I try pushing with a toothpick but it doesnt hold.
10-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
Giveaway winner!

Then it is further upstream. A ratchet has to engage to hold the counting wheel. It could be that something is up with that part of the system. Seeing as your MX had been worked on, it would seem that the counter was tinkered with and not properly reset.
10-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #12

Original Poster
Do you know how to fix that? How to dismantle the top?
10-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
Giveaway winner!

QuoteOriginally posted by striker_ Quote
How to dismantle the top?
1. Some proper size and type of tools... you'll need a set of cross tipped drivers and JIS type is best, but Wiha 8-in-1 set is nice too. If you end up with a common small Phillips type drivers then be aware that depending on quality that the fit might be a little rough on the center most portion of the screw. Pin spanner or pin device to remove the small screw of the shutter speed knob and the advance lever as well as the small retention ring under the rewind knob. I have a modified jeweler's pliers with sharpened tips.

2. Remove the rewind knob

Wedge a tool into the prong of the cartridge end of the spindle and turn the knob counter-clockwise.

3. Remove the slotted ring nut

You could find a set of scissors or fine grounded tip priers.

4. Remove the small double pin hole screw from shutter knob

If you don't have one, try a paper clip adjusted to the size and tape into position of holes and grasp with pliers... keep the length short.

5. Remove the advance lever

The paper clip trick might not work as well here given the distance of holes. Try a spring clip tool or two small nails set up between two sticks clamped together. It must be turned Clockwise to remove.

6. Once inside...

Note the GREEN-BLUE-RED arrows indicate... your MX should be very much as this with the film door open. The blue arrow is the place the spring is attached the red arrow is the ratchet lever that must engage to allow to count up. YELLOW is the other lever that engages and note the fine spring that puts tension on it.
10-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for that.

I have a set of JIS screwdrivers I bought a while ago to fix some lenses.

When something messes up I think I have to bother you once more.
10-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #15
Giveaway winner!

Not a bother. Good luck.