Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #1

Back to Film for Awhile

We have a Pentax Spotmatic with a 50 mm lens in very fine working condition. I want to shoot film for a while. Can anyone recommend a good lab to for developing and prints? Also, is there anything I should keep in mind when shooting film? I used to use film when I was a kid to shoot the cowboy and indian fights, as well as the dinosauers.

10-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome back to film!
Keep in mind that while you can still take film to your local Walgreens, Costco, CVS etc for processing, they only process C-41 color film. That means no true Black and white or slides. Just color negatives. The alternative to true black and white is Kodak BW400CN that is actually a C-41 process film.
Their automated process is far from optimal. The C-41 developing process is very automated and it should be relatively good. But the printing process is horrible. Today, these fast machines scan the negatives very fast and automated, with pre-set parameters. Then they oversharpen for printing. The result is a print that most times doesn't make justice to the image recorded in the negative.
I haven't used them, but there are several mail order labs that are highly regarded in processing film like Dwayne's photo in Kansas. (dwaynesphoto.com)
In my case, I take film to my local Walgreens for developing only and I do my own negative scanning at home, but that's another story...

Hope you enjoy film like we do and help us keep it alive!

Thanks,
10-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the information. Is Dwayne's fanatical about avoiding smears and other distortions, changing to fresh chemicals, etc.? I'm definitely not taking my film to Walgreen's, etc. after taking the time to, I hope, get some good shots. Ken Rockwell recommends a lab called North Coast Photographic Services.
10-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
B + W Developing

I don't know about any of the online services, but you might not have to go that far.
Many camera stores still process B + W. Here in Denver, there's two companies, Denver Pro Photo and Mike's Cameras (Mike's has three stores, two in Denver and the original store in Boulder, that's the one that does the film processing) that handle pretty much any type of film. If you're in or near a large city, chances are you can get it done locally.
Most also offer a scanning option for a small fee ($4.00 per roll here, when it's done at the time of developing) so you end up with the film developed, negatives and a CD with the positive images. Think of it as a digital contact sheet.
Put the disc into your computer and Voila! Your B +W images, ready to process on your PC.
If you Google "B + W developing" for your area, you should find some choices.
Good Luck and welcome to the Forum!
Ron

10-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks. Can my Spotmatic use a lot of lenses, or should I get an adapter of some kind to broaden my reach?
10-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your Spotmatic can only use 42mm screwmount lenses, also known as M42 (42mm).
The adapters in the market are to make these lenses compatible with later mounts like K mount, but as far as I know, there are no backwards compatible adapters that will make newer lenses fit screwmount bodies.
But that is not a bad thing, since quality m42 lenses are very plentyful and affordable for the most part. Many aftermarket companies built lenses for m42 long after the bodies were discontinued.

Thanks,
10-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I have used The Darkroom Film Developing at The Darkroom | Develop Film by Mail for $10 for some of my 120 and 35mm film as none of my local places do Slides anymore.

I have no complaints about their service.

10-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Mass. Wine Guy Quote
Thanks for the information. Is Dwayne's fanatical about avoiding smears and other distortions, changing to fresh chemicals, etc.? I'm definitely not taking my film to Walgreen's, etc. after taking the time to, I hope, get some good shots. Ken Rockwell recommends a lab called North Coast Photographic Services.
I've used North Coast Photographic Services (NCPS) and they do very good work. If price is an issue you may want to take Corto-PA 's recommendation and try the darkroom, the darkroom provides prepaid mailers, which NCPS doesn't supply.

Edit: To get a pre-paid mailer from the Darkroom, visit their website, somewhere (I don't remember where) they have a link to request a pre-paid mailer or print out one of their pre-paid shipping labels to put on your own box/shipping envelope.

Good luck
10-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #9

As Croto does, I also use The Darkroom in California. For 10 usd you get processing and low res scans on CD. For $5 more, you get prints. And for another $5 you get higher res scans. The scans are not that great, but with some post processing you can make them look pretty good. One thing I like is they email your files to you, lo res of course, soon after they're processed. So you get to see your stuff before it gets back to you in the mail.
10-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LightMeter Quote
As Croto does, I also use The Darkroom in California.
Who the hell is Croto?
10-21-2012, 10:17 PM - 1 Like   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
Who the hell is Croto?
Oops, sorry CORTO.
10-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LightMeter Quote
Oops, sorry CORTO.
Love you too
10-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mass. Wine Guy Quote
Dwayne's does outstanding work and I highly recommend them. However, if you're as serious about your film as your questions above imply, then I would suggest you look for a local lab you can build a relationship with; or do your own processing so you can have 100% control.
I process all of my own B&W. I send my "serious" C-41 out to Dwayne's. And, I use the lab here in town for wet prints.
10-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #14

Something else I'd like to mention is I've been sending my B&W to DR5 in Colorado for transparency process. It's kinda expensive, but black and white slides are awesome, especially in med format. Ilford HP5 is the most popular film for that and that's what I use.
10-22-2012, 04:05 AM   #15

Original Poster
I'm not the type who has much extra cash for dabbling back into the quaint age of film. WIsh I did, believe me. I was never any good at processing my own film. I couldn't even remove the film from the film canister without botching it up. But if I wanted to set up a minimalist home lab, what would I need and how much would it cost?