Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #1

Pentax ME Super auto-release problem

Hi there,

I bought myself broken copy of ME Super because I wanted to replace my broken counter dial in my other ME Super. It was sold as broken, but it seemed to work for me very well until I attached the lens and set higher apperture. If I leave my apperture at the lowest value, it works great, but when you try some higher number, it will advance the film and cock the shutter for just one photo. Then if you want to cock it again, it autoreleases when the winding lever is at its end of rotation. I tried to somehow inspect all the levers and elements inside the mirrorbox but I didn't find any problem. Is there any way how to solve this problem, without complete dissasembling my ME Super?

Thank you for your ideas and replies.

10-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fandart Quote
Then if you want to cock it again, it autoreleases when the winding lever is at its end of rotation.
The effect of releasing or no resetting the shutter while advancing is more than likely the bumper inside need replacement. The gummed up rubber part has a way of making all the surrounding parts work slow... so slow that the recovery arm that provide the reset to the sequence will be stuck in the unlocked position allowing the cranking sequence to only be partially complete. I will be necessary to clean out that area to allow it to work reliably. The fact it works depending on aperture is odd, but could be that a loose part is being tensioned at higher apertures to cause alignment issues.
10-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #3

Original Poster
Wow, Mystery Onion himself, I read a lot on your blog about ME Super repairs. I read all the parts about disassembly of ME Super and have to thank you, because it was very very useful when I was changing the counter dial. I didn't want to disassembly the camera more, because it begun to be more challenging and I was not sure, if I am able to assemble all these tiny parts back. I will probably dedicate this camera to my pinhole experiments and leave it for spare parts for my working ME Super. But thank you anyway for your response. Glad to see you here at PentaxForums.

See You.
10-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fandart Quote
...I was changing the counter dial. I didn't want to disassembly the camera more..
Well, sorry about the "ME Super Project" or the "Onion Patch" had been slow to cover the new areas... I'll make a note the winding assembly as a suggestion for next time. I get very few to none in the way of questions about projects... just lots of folks looking and being quiet.

When tinkering with a camera and for the first time, I employ a technique of having a wide area covered with paper and as I remove parts I keep note of the where and what on the paper, then tape the part down in the note. After a while, I have a very clear step by step bread crumb trail of reassembly.

Good luck with the pinhole experiments.

Oh... forgot this...

http://mysteryonion.blogspot.com/2011/09/coming-up-me-supers-other-issues.html

Does not cover the entire thing, but is part of the dial.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 10-23-2012 at 12:08 PM.