Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K1000, light leak around the prism?

I've known for a while that when shooting at some angles, my light meter tends to ride high, & wobbles a bit when I put my hand up over the front of the camera. Noticed it again yesterday, shooting not-quite-into the sun, & it seems to be affected by putting my hand over the top of the camera, at the front. It's never really seemed to affect exposure; when do I notice it I cover that area when checking the needle. Not shooting toward bright light, it doesn't seem to happen. Difference is maybe one stop, if that.
So I just thought I'd ask, if you have a light leak up there, it's not really affecting the exposing of the film, is it? It's just my meter, & if I know about it & watch for it, it seems to be ok.
Yes, the camera is old & could probably do with having light seals checked, but I've just had a $100 repair thanks to a lens falling out of a badly designed Lowepro bag, so there's no $$ at the moment for more repairs, especially if things will work ok without.
Just curious.

10-22-2012, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
...affected by putting my hand over the top of the camera, at the front.
Do you mean that when your hand is about over the pentax name and yet behind the view of the lens that you get a "wonky" reading?

Is the black plastic trim missing?
It is normally located between the mount face trim and the pentaprism/under name.
If yes, you could tape it shut.

The rare possibility is that the edge along the upper shell is warped and the light travels up and is able to bounce off the inward facing of the eyepiece due to missing foam.

Otherwise, the common cause is stray light coming through the eyepiece itself. This could be light that bounces off your face and is able to shine in... very common if you are an eyeglasses wearer.

... thats my best guess?

Oh... so otherwise it is mostly accurate?

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 10-22-2012 at 10:13 AM.
10-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would try a Pentax rubber eye-cup.
This should help a bit, do'nt get the "M" series one as it will be too big.
The K series or the older screw mount are the ones you want.

Phil
10-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
Do you mean that when your hand is about over the pentax name and yet behind the view of the lens that you get a "wonky" reading?
Yes, that. The trim is not missing, but now that I look closely at it, on that side the trim appears to be 1.5-2mm short -- it's a tiny gap but the trim piece on the side seems a tad bit loose too.

[5 minute intermission....]

.... Shees... nailed it in one... I got my eeny flashlight & put it right against the trim line all the way around, & when it gets to that side, Mr Light Meter jumps way up.
Electrical tape? Which could get sticky... but I could put a very thin strip along it, I guess.
I don't wear glasses; I do have an eyecup but don't use it religiously.

Does light coming in there, reach the film? This seems like a stupid question for someone who's been taking pictures this long, but...? Since the meter is otherwise pretty accurate, I'm guessing not, cos it doesn't seem to affect the photos.
And if you have it repaired, is that a major job? Camera repair place starts at about $50 just to say hi...
I'm glad I asked. That was easy. Thank you!

10-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Hey... your welcome, good job describing the problem!

QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
Does light coming in there, reach the film?
No, not stupid... Some chance from that gap in your case, there are certain gap along the body chassis that can allow light to slip through near the shutter curtain. Those true vulnerable spot are usually near the sides of the mount and usually due to loose fitting from damage. Worth noting is that enough light leaking into the meter will trigger the meter to turn on and drain your battery quickly.

Enjoy that film camera!
10-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm. I've had long life out of the batteries. I last changed it 2 yrs ago, & the previous one was in there forever.
Must be just wear & tear... I wonder if it's been rubbed loose in the bag. It rests against the divider.
Well, I guess I'm off to find some tape. I might even have to buy some. I think the electrical tape in the workshop is kinda old & grotty