Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax ES II Battery Compartment

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am having trouble opening the battery compartment of my ESII (I bought it and had it serviced by Eric, and never had to change batteries until now).

Anyway, I tried following the instruction here:

But I couldn't find the "cover release pin (1)", which is supposed to be activated by a "matchstick or the like". My camera looks like the following - the centre part of the battery compartment door shows no sign of any pin or groove that would fit a "matchstick or the link":

I didn't want to risk it with a screwdriver. Any advice would be appreciated!

Perhaps I need a video demo????

10-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Is the battery in the ES different to the ES II ? The ES has its battery in a small screw cylinder on the front of the camera.
10-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
iht
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Is the battery in the ES different to the ES II ? The ES has its battery in a small screw cylinder on the front of the camera.
Yeah, the ES II has its battery compartment at the base instead to make room for the conventional self timer.
10-23-2012, 01:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter

ES11 battery compartment is viewable from the bottom view of the camera, & is below the lens mount.
There is a little slit visible which encloses a lever which has to be moved to the left to release the battery cover.
When refitting batteries, refit cover then push lever to the right.
Cheers, Pickles.

10-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
iht
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
There is a little slit visible which encloses a lever which has to be moved to the left to release the battery cover.
Thanks Pickles, but honestly I can't find that "slit"! Do you think you can highlight this in a photo? I find the photo in the manual a bit small, and I just can't see it on my camera!!

Thanks again in advance.
10-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I'm not too flash on the digital stuff so a photo is difficult....BUT, turn your camera upside down, & on the underside of the painted rectangular part of the lensmount(which actually is the battery cover!), if you look closely you'll see "battery open" imprinted into the battery cover, & then adjacent to the camera base, dead centre, there's a little slit with a small (very small) "lever" sticking up......you move this lever, with the help of a matchstick etc to the left to open the cover.....the little lever is dead in line with the tripod mount.
If this doesn't work for you, get an ES11 Manual, which may even be somewhere on this forum!
Cheers, Pickles.
10-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I received my second hand ESII the previous owner had told me that the batteries had been changed for new ones - but on looking at the base the owner had not been able to see the 'catch' either as he had used tape to keep the battery door shut.It was a simple fix to remove the tape and use a fine screw driver blade to close the catch and all was good.

Being made with metal, as opposed to plastic, tolerances are much smaller and material is much stronger so the catch is quite small and doesn't look like a catch as we are now accustomed to see them.

Use Pickles instructions - they are accurate.
10-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax ESII instruction manual, user manual <----Link to the ES II manual. I have one, and love it !!