Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by henkvanzuylen Quote
My favorite besides Pentax is easy....my Mamiya RB67!
That is such a nice camera, perhaps even better as my AP67.......(also heavier by the way :-)
Henk
Weight and size are always relative.

For a half size 35mm film camera, the FT is not all that small . . .

While these two are similar in size and weight, there is a huge difference in film area . . .

11-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Weight and size are always relative
True!

One great benefit from the Mamiya comparing to the AP67 is the rotating back...that works so nice.
And I find it easier to focus.

Henk
11-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Not my favorite...but a cute camera :-)

And a picture from my favorite, non Pentax (put the Cannot besides it for the size :-)

11-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You would have to bring up the GX system. Now I have a puddle of drool to mop up...

Steve
I lasted about three months from first knowing about the system, to owning it... and I think I held up pretty good

11-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Mamiya 645M...... Ok fine, OM-1 and a Zuiko 35mm f2.
11-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I have to say, I quite like a lot of the Eastern European ones.

Zenit especially.

There's just something about the design of them, the uncompromising "I am a lightproof box designed to take pictures, nothing more"

(granted, I've never used one, so for all I know they're rubbish to use)
11-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For SLRs, I love my Pentax 645, Auto 110, K-mount and M42-mount systems. Aside from those, I had a Minolta SRT-101 and 3 lenses that was fun. By far my favorite real "system" besides the Pentaxes was a set of Konica AR-mount cameras, including an Autoreflex TC and T4. Good times. I ended up getting those because I found an AR-mount 400/5.6 in a thrift shop. Bought a whole system to go around it. Ended up selling the lot. The best lens in the Konica system was the 40/1.8.

I currently have a Canon AE-1 Program, which I kinda don't like. At all. I'd much rather a Super Program. I have an OM-10 with 50/1.8 that's fun. I may expand that. I may also expand my Minolta XG-M system beyond just the 50/1.4 I have for it. (The oly and minolta cameras were gifts.)

Outside of SLRs, my favorite system by far is my 4x5 system, comprised of about 7 lenses, a Monorail camera and a Super Graphic. I also have a Leica M system I'm fond of.

11-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Another vote for the EOS 3. My DSLR kit is Canon so I can use the same good lenses. But as someone else has said, it is a bit on the large size compared to my Pentax SLR bodies.
11-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
Another vote for the EOS 3. My DSLR kit is Canon so I can use the same good lenses. But as someone else has said, it is a bit on the large size compared to my Pentax SLR bodies.
My last 35mm was the EOS 3 It was claimed by many to be the best 35mm ever built. I must admit, it was exceedingly good. Although I think the Minolta 9Xi was better and in my opinion was the best 35mm ever made. It never really caught on though. It was too modern for the day I thought. it looked and handled like a modern day DSLR when you look back on it now lol.
11-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
(granted, I've never used one, so for all I know they're rubbish to use)
I have handled a Zenit and I believe that it must be an acquired taste. I like my FSU rangefinders (the Zenit handled and felt so much like my Zorki...scary), but the Zenit is pretty clunky compared to most M42 bodies. I would much rather have a Practika if one must dabble in former Eastern Block M42 bodies.

Steve
11-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Adding on, I think I might actually like a MF Nikon body if I could ever afford one. The EM is really cute, but I don't like the lack of full manual controls. One of my nieces has that one now and the few Nikon lenses I have and she's having fun with it but one of these days I've really got to swing a full manual body for myself. I like the lenses I've got. I just don't much like the camera's limitations.

It's funny all the cameras I've managed to collect and I've yet to grab me a decent Nikon. I've got 6-7 brands worth of gear, but nothing truly good as yet to put the Nikon lenses on. If that EM had full manual capacity I'd probably be using it all the time. It makes the perfect purse camera, or would if I could control it more. It's kind of like the ME Supers for me. Love the size, the look of the camera, but not so much the rest.

Used Nikons are just too expensive when I see them though. That's one of the reasons I don't like Canon and Nikon as much as Pentax actually. It costs so much more to make up a kit. I never did end up getting any FD stuff either for the AE-1's because it's just too darned costly compared to Pentax gear....

Last edited by magkelly; 11-08-2012 at 10:01 PM.
11-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
The best lens in the Konica system was the 40/1.8.
Yep - a 40/1.8, one of the sharpest lenses made in that length, and cheap as chips. Too bad it can't be adapted to Pentax. I still have one (had a brief Konica affair but came back to Pentax). It's the last AR lens I own. Sigh.
11-09-2012, 05:11 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gabriel_bc Quote
Yep - a 40/1.8, one of the sharpest lenses made in that length, and cheap as chips. Too bad it can't be adapted to Pentax. I still have one (had a brief Konica affair but came back to Pentax). It's the last AR lens I own. Sigh.
At the right price I might consider getting another Konica just to mount that lens.
11-09-2012, 05:32 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Adding on, I think I might actually like a MF Nikon body if I could ever afford one. The EM is really cute, but I don't like the lack of full manual controls.
The FG is same size as the EM and has full manual + aperture priority + TTL flash.
11-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Adding on, I think I might actually like a MF Nikon body if I could ever afford one. The EM is really cute, but I don't like the lack of full manual controls. One of my nieces has that one now and the few Nikon lenses I have and she's having fun with it but one of these days I've really got to swing a full manual body for myself. I like the lenses I've got. I just don't much like the camera's limitations.

It's funny all the cameras I've managed to collect and I've yet to grab me a decent Nikon. I've got 6-7 brands worth of gear, but nothing truly good as yet to put the Nikon lenses on. If that EM had full manual capacity I'd probably be using it all the time. It makes the perfect purse camera, or would if I could control it more. It's kind of like the ME Supers for me. Love the size, the look of the camera, but not so much the rest.

Used Nikons are just too expensive when I see them though. That's one of the reasons I don't like Canon and Nikon as much as Pentax actually. It costs so much more to make up a kit. I never did end up getting any FD stuff either for the AE-1's because it's just too darned costly compared to Pentax gear....

I see nice clean Nikkormat all the time selling for under $50, sometimes with lenses. Nikkormats are a great entry into the Nikon/Nikkor world.
I also see the odd FE or FM selling around $50. The FM is basically Nikon's version of the KX and clean working KXs often sell for much more.
I've even seen the odd F and F2 selling w/finder for under $100, and some F3s selling for not much more.

If I was going to put together another system, I would probably look at Nikon, mostly because I know more about Nikon than some of the other systems. Nikons handle more like a Pentax IMO as well. I used a Canon AE-1 Progam, and while I was very impressed with the FD 50/1.8, I didn't like the handling of the body at all. I've used a Nikon FE a bit as well as a Nikkormat EL, and they both operate and handle nearly the same as my K2.
I've been using a Minolta XE-7 a bit lately which also handles very much like a K2, but my is it smooth. Winding it with film is easier and smoother than most cameras without film.
For AF, I've been using an EOS Elan II and an EOS A2e lately and I've been very impressed. If I were healthy, I would be seriously looking at the EOS-3 and maybe a USM 50/1.4