Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2012, 01:42 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Favorite non-pentax SLR System

Hey guys,

Of course we all love Pentax film cameras, and Pentax lenses. Duh.

I'm wondering what your favorite non-pentax film camera rig is. What do you prefer about it over your Pentax system?

11-02-2012, 02:58 AM   #2
icy

Photos: Gallery | Albums
May be ... Ricoh cameras and lenses ...
11-02-2012, 03:30 AM   #3
Banned

For SLR's it would have to be Nikon. The Nikon bodies have some of the best sensors in the industry along with remarkable levels of build quality. Add to that, if they do not make a camera part for Nikon; chances are it simply isn't made for most any camera system in production. The lens variety is beyond belief - directly from Nikon, and also… There are more third party lens' for Nikon then are available for the entire Pentax system.

It also does not hurt to have all of those lighting options available and also items like extension tubes and other converters
11-02-2012, 05:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
some of the best sensors in the industry
Of course, as we're in the film section, ALL SLRs share the best sensors in the industry

Nikon film cameras are indeed nice, and everyone has their own favorite period... Ultimately for me the Nikon is too much 'reversed' from everyone else, the way you mount the lenses... Minolta is very nice indeed, they stuck with the SR-T for a really long time, but then they got the design right. I do like Minolta a lot, though my chosen time period (XE, of the Leica connection era) are way large.

The Olympus OM is my favorite non-Pentax system, actually Oly is my first love, so Pentax takes a back seat when it comes to film only. Elegantly designed, small bodies, small lenses, nice flash integration... (Disclosure: I learned photography with an Olympus Pen FT, so when it came time to go full frame, the OM felt 'right' while the Pentax and Minolta I tried were both a bit intimidating, being different enough...)

11-02-2012, 06:00 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, besides Pentax models my collection of SLRs includes Exakta, Nikon (original F - Nippon Kogaku era), Canon, Minolta, Mamiya/Sekor, Yashica, and several Leicaflex/Leica-R. These are from the 60s-80s and most were collected in the last few years. I repair and use them as I get time, and there are nice things about all of them.
The classic Pentax SLRs have wonderful feel to use, fit the hands well and just work like they should. In college I went from Pentax to the (then) new Canon FT, and having refurbished a few lately I have new respect for that series - but they still have a musical "ping" after the shutter release, which is why I went from Canon to Leicaflex SL after college. I've seen lovely images from the Canon FL lenses though.
Mechanically the Leicaflex SL can't be beat. It's a solid precision tank, and the lenses are excellent. The later R models - based on Minolta body castings - are smaller and fit my hands better, but don't hold up as well. I've used Leica SLRs (and rangefinders) since 1969, but although the lenses are better than Pentax, I tend to get better pictures with Pentax, as Pentax handles faster, focuses easier, and makes the process more natural.
11-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

canon 1 series bodies are some of my favorites. could be that i have been using them for some time but i have always liked the control layout. quick and easy without a whole lot of extra stuff on the surface. i still have my stable of L glass but pentax keeps drawing me back from all that BIG equipment.
11-02-2012, 06:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

BTW, an excellent book on classic (mechanical, metal) SLRs is Ivor Matanle's Collecting and Using Classic SLRs Collecting and Using Classic SLRs: Ivor Matanle: 9780500279014: Amazon.com: Books

11-02-2012, 06:26 AM   #8

I use my pentax K10 formfamily and events. I love my Rollei 6008 for landscape. Used it as well for weddings, but I do not much of those nowadays. Got an older 22 mp untethered back for it, which is very nice.

Love the feel and weight of the lenses even more than my K and M lenses...
11-02-2012, 06:51 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like my Canon EOS 1V, the auto focus is really nice.
11-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

My fave ever film camera for 35mm was the Minolta 9Xi. Boy was it underated. Superb metering and autofucus and you could use it to knock nails in it was so tough. Even the flash system was second to none. My fave medium format was my Bronica RF645 with its three lenses and little dedicated flash. It was like a medium format version of the Fuji XPro 1 lol. Simplr a wonderful and beautifuly built bit of kit
11-02-2012, 07:14 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by icy Quote
May be ... Ricoh cameras and lenses ...
What he said. I have 4 Pentax film bodies and 3 Ricohs.

Steve
11-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I learned photography with an Olympus Pen FT, so when it came time to go full frame, the OM felt 'right'
Wow, people were still upgrading to full frame 35 years ago! I hope you kept your PEN FT...a fascinating camera system and worth quite a bit these days. I personally would love to get my hands on one. My sister has the Pen D2, which is quite a nice camera as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by ebahle Quote
canon 1 series bodies are some of my favorites. could be that i have been using them for some time but i have always liked the control layout. quick and easy without a whole lot of extra stuff on the surface. i still have my stable of L glass but pentax keeps drawing me back from all that BIG equipment.
I hear you... Canon cameras from the end of the film era are impressive. I took an EOS 3 out shooting one day, and loved the eye-controlled focus (with something like 95 AF points). I keep a Canon Elan 7 around because on the rare occasions that I get hired as a photographer, I need a body to shoot with a friend's L-series lenses. They're amazing performers (especially the 24/1.4 and 50/1.2 primes, 16-35/2.8 and 24-70/2.8 zooms), but enormous and heavy.

For personal use, Pentax, Minolta, and a Contax T2 win the day.
11-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't favor any camera system above anything Pentax, and by Pentax I also mean my Chinon GAF because it's a Pentax mount camera, part of the family, like Ricoh stuff, but I do like Yashica gear a lot. I think the ergonomics of Yashica cameras are very similar to that of Pentax and the lenses are very good to excellent. I've recently acquired some Minolta gear too and I think it's pretty nice for much the same reasons. I actually intend to sell it but I could see myself using it a lot if I didn't have too much stuff by way of Pentax gear. I just cannot give it enough time though for it to be fair that I keep it. I'm way too invested into my Pentax kit at this point. I'm not even using my Yashica cams as much as I could be lately. I totally love my FRI but my black Spotties, my K-X, and my GAF have totally taken over my film SLR time. The K-X in particular. I just totally fell in love with it and the rest of my cameras kind of went away for a while as a result. For me nothing is "better" than my Pentax gear but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate a good camera by another manufacturer when I see one. I'm not a camera snob. Whatever works for you is fine by me...

Last edited by magkelly; 11-02-2012 at 10:31 AM.
11-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #14
Closed Account

Olympus OM and in particular the OM1 and OM4Ti - since 1978.

Today I have both cameras still and use them as often (read every day) as my Pentax LX, and recently the ME Super. It is a dangerous question as one cannot escape to compare cameras, within one brand already, and for sure between brands. For me the perfect camera does not exist.

One large plus for OM in general is the placing of the shutter speeds ring around the lens mount. It means one can operate the shutter speeds in the exact same way as one operates the aperture ring. And that means you do not take your eye away from the finder anymore.

The needle metering of the OM1 is so simple and effective, it is the reason why I will always find the leds the lesser solution.

The viewfinder of the OM1 is what I find most special. It is so large and bright. I installed a Beattie screen and had the lightmeter adjusted for that. With the Zuiko 40/2 this is a lot brighter than my LX with 50/1.4. Not all brighter finders focus more easy, but this OM1/Beattie combination is really something.

The Olympus OM1 has the reputation of setting the trend for the smaller slr in the 70ties. And the quieter one. Perhaps they started it, the OM1 is from 1972, but it is the Pentax ME (1976) that is the smaller one, in size and weight. And it is more quiet. Personally, I am not looking for the smallest camera, I find the OM cameras exactly right. Let's say they are the same size as the Pentax LX, a little less wide and a little lighter perhaps.

The OM4Ti is another story. Almost the same metering range as the LX, also with off-the-film metering. But with a beautiful combination of spot metering and ae lock. I am not going to explain here how it works, but it is totally easy and, once used to it, intuitive. For an automatic mode camera (one can btw also use it in manual) I find this one coming close to being perfect.
Except it has turned out to be a fragile camera for me. The body I am using now is the last remaining of 4 bodies, that all got electronical problems in the past 7 years. Perhaps it is because I am not very careful with cameras. Anyway, it is the reason why I got the Pentax LX and why after that the different Pentax cameras became alive for me.

The lenses are a different story. I find all Zuiko and all Pentax lenses fine. For me the focal length is more critical and over the years the 40mm has become the lens I simply leave on the cameras. The Zuiko 40/2 is not as small as the Pentax 40/2.8 and it is why I prefer the Zuiko.

So, like Nesster here, OM and yes also Pen FT, are impossible to imagine to be without. Having said all this, the LX is great and so is the ME Super . . .

PS: between OM4 and OM4Ti I had the Leica R4s for almost two years, also quite nice. Except people always fuzzed about the brand being so great, etc . . . I quickly went back to nice anonymous OM

Last edited by Hilo; 11-02-2012 at 11:47 PM.
11-03-2012, 12:10 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hilo Quote
The needle metering of the OM1 is so simple and effective, it is the reason why I will always find the leds the lesser solution.
I could not agree more. My review of the K1000 says exactly the same thing.

The OM4Ti is another story. Almost the same metering range as the LX, also with off-the-film metering. But with a beautiful combination of spot metering and ae lock. I am not going to explain here how it works, but it is totally easy and, once used to it, intuitive. For an automatic mode camera (one can btw also use it in manual) I find this one coming close to being perfect.
I am also a big fan of shooting using AE lock. I use a Minolta X-700 at least as much as I use my ME Super for that reason. I've never owned a Pentax camera with AE Lock...To my knowledge, only the K2 DMD and the LX have it. Maybe someone here can enlighten me if I've missed a camera with this feature.

For me the focal length is more critical and over the years the 40mm has become the lens I simply leave on the cameras. The Zuiko 40/2 is not as small as the Pentax 40/2.8 and it is why I prefer the Zuiko.
Here again I agree with you. 40mm is my favorite focal length, with 45mm being a close second. I shot a Canonet QL 17 almost exclusively for about 6 months because I found the 40 1.7 to be a pretty perfect lens. I also had a weekend with a friend's Leica CL and 40/2, which was a neat experience.

I love 45mm so much that I adapted a Minolta 45/2 for use on my Canon film system. It was a lot of work, and I'm not sure it was worth it, but the MD 45 is one of the great small lenses IMHO.