Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #16
Closed Account

Jakeblues, you may have missed out on another Pentax with ae lock . . . but you also invented one, the LX . . . if only that were true . . .

11-03-2012, 02:52 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hilo Quote
The needle metering of the OM1 is so simple and effective, it is the reason why I will always find the leds the lesser solution.
Yes! I haven't tried the OM1, but if it's anything like the match-needle system of the KX it is very good. And as you say, leds are not as easy to work with. Even worse though is the modern digital screen in the viewfinder that shows the shutter speed in digital numbers.

Anyway, back to the topic.

Favorite SLR system besides Pentax must be the Fuji GX680 system. It's not really comparable to a "normal" SLR system. It weighs about as much as an elephant, and you would need a smaller herd of donkeys to carry it around comfortably. But it's so versatile! Thanks to the movements of the lens(es), if you have an idea for a shot, the GX can most probably produce it. Also the control over DOF [sic] is something I really like, as I'm a fan of thin DOF.

The GX system is so different from the the Pentax system that I don't really have to think about which camera to take with me, the kind of shots that I'm going to take decides which camera I will take with me.

Some shots:

11-03-2012, 06:02 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My first SLR was an EOS3 with a few "L" lenses. That was a formidable machine and the Eye Control Focus - and auto focusing in general, were faultless. However, I always wondered why it would not aperture priority auto expose a scene longer then 30 seconds? This led me to explore others and I found out there were not many that do. Of all the brands I have tried, only Nikon, Olympus and the Pentax LX support really long auto exposures while all others I've tried - including current digitals, are capped to 30 seconds or less. For this purpose the Pentax LX is unmatched and second place is distant.

I also started exploring options for macro and magnifications much greater then 1:1 and discovered bellows and extension rings. I really like bellows!

I was initial apprehensive about using manual focus lenses. But after a couple of years into it, I no longer have any dependencies on AF due to the monstrously large viewfinders of manual focus cameras. I can quickly nail critical focus with my f1.2 lenses even in dimly lit settings.

Auto flash on the EOS system was another dependency I had to overcome. I found the auto flash units were quite reliable and the TTL flash on these post 80's Minolta, Nikon, Olympus and Pentax were more then accurate enough. I am still getting the hang of full manual flash.

Since my reference for lenses were the Canon 'L' series, I wasn't sure how used, old, manual focus lenses will be. I have not found any equivalent in zooms but I can say that I am not left wanting when it comes to primes. I have tested a few of these with Kodak Techpan and I know that there are no DSLR's to date that will outresolve some of these.

Well, after a couple of years of total immersion, I found out that there were some phenomenal tools made and my favorite non Pentax cameras are as follows:
  1. Nikon FM3A - automation and full manual without batteries
  2. Olympus OM-4T - spot metering reference camera
  3. Minolta XE-7 - smoothest film advance
  4. Yashica TL Electro X - beauty
  5. Olympus Stylus Epic - pocket camera

Link to larger version -> http://www.fototime.com/BDC680C8A6CF7E2/orig.jpg

I feel a need to explore rangefinders and large format . . .
11-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
My first SLR was an EOS3 with a few "L" lenses. That was a formidable machine and the Eye Control Focus - and auto focusing in general, were faultless.
Yep. I've used a friend's EOS 3 quite a bit and the eye controlled focus is pretty impressive. If I didn't care at all about size, portability, or cost (i.e. if I were a professional photographer), I'd shoot an EOS 3 with some of those totally epic L lenses.

I was initial apprehensive about using manual focus lenses. But after a couple of years into it, I no longer have any dependencies on AF due to the monstrously large viewfinders of manual focus cameras. I can quickly nail critical focus with my f1.2 lenses even in dimly lit settings.
I too find monsterous viewfinders addictive. I tend to get really frustrated when an AF camera doesn't know what I want to focus on, and lean towards manual focus for the type of leisure photography that I do.

And yes, f/1.2 takes some practice nailing, but when you get it right, it can produce some satisfying results.

Since my reference for lenses were the Canon 'L' series, I wasn't sure how used, old, manual focus lenses will be. I have not found any equivalent in zooms but I can say that I am not left wanting when it comes to primes. I have tested a few of these with Kodak Techpan and I know that there are no DSLR's to date that will outresolve some of these.
Yes, there certainly aren't any lenses from the manual era that come close to the zoom range and versatility of some of the L Wide zooms. The first time I used the 16-35 2.8 LII, I thought, "this lens exists? I thought only primes went beyond 20mm and down to 2.8."

Link to larger version -> http://www.fototime.com/BDC680C8A6CF7E2/orig.jpg

Wow. I love that photo. It's interesting to see those size comparisons! And yes, you need to explore rangefinders. By this time next year, I want that photo to include Voigt Bessa, Leica M7, Olympus XA, and range of other cameras

11-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I kind of like my Contax D.

11-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jakeblues Quote
Yes, there certainly aren't any lenses from the manual era that come close to the zoom range and versatility of some of the L Wide zooms. The first time I used the 16-35 2.8 LII, I thought, "this lens exists? I thought only primes went beyond 20mm and down to 2.8."
If you can believe it, I bought the 16-35 'L' lens just from seeing it and then the EOS3 to use it!
11-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Bronica ETR-Si.

Lightweight, modular, super lenses with electric shutters all with flash sync to 1/500.

I chose this system over the Pentax 645.

11-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #23
Pentaxian

My dad's camera, the first one I ever used. I still have some of the pictures taken with it. It's been years since I put a roll of film it, I wonder if I can even get film for it anymore. Ricoh/Pentax all the way.

You want a big viewfinder? I'll show you a big viewfinder...

You want focus peaking? I'll show you focus peeking...

11-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My dad's camera, the first one I ever used. I still have some of the pictures taken with it. It's been years since I put a roll of film it, I wonder if I can even get film for it anymore. Ricoh/Pentax all the way.

You want a big viewfinder? I'll show you a big viewfinder...

You want focus peaking? I'll show you focus peeking...
Cool photos.
11-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Cool photos.
Thanks for noticing....There is nothing I do today, that is even remotely like taking pictures with that camera. There used to be a mystique...

Ooops you said SLR, that's a TLR (Twin Lens Reflex). I wonder why there are no digital twins? I guess the sensors just aren't big enough yet.

Last edited by normhead; 11-03-2012 at 09:02 AM.
11-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #26
Pentaxian

My favorite besides Pentax is easy....my Mamiya RB67!
That is such a nice camera, perhaps even better as my AP67.......(also heavier by the way :-)

Henk
11-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I use a Minolta X-700 at least as much as I use my ME Super for that reason.
Another reason why I prefer my Ricoh XR7 to the Super Program. Funny thing is that I seldom use the AE lock on the K10D...I can never remember where the button is when the camera is at my eye
11-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote

Favorite SLR system besides Pentax must be the Fuji GX680 system...
You would have to bring up the GX system. Now I have a puddle of drool to mop up...

Steve
11-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It is a slippery slope...

Steve
11-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
... I wonder if I can even get film for it anymore...
Pretty sure this takes 120 roll film. In which case, you can definitely buy film for it. Careful though. Actually running film through my old film camera is how I broke loose of the digital chains...

Steve