Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #61

Photos: Gallery
Minolta dynax 7 and Minolta Dynax 9 .. two awesome SLRs

11-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #62

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I share the Rokkor love. The pic below is missing the 58/1.2 that's on my fiancee's X-700.

11-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Easily so! The SRT bodies were bricks! Very excellent bricks, to be sure. My dad has an SRT 102 with jammed shutter languishing in a drawer somewhere and I am always trying to talk him into letting me get int CLA'd for him. No deal. He won't part with it.

Steve
That's just greedy on his part, I think. If the damn thing doesn't work, let it find a new life, even if that's with a new owner.

If it worked and he refused to let it go, that's one thing...

If he were my dad, I'd steal it from him and give it back, fixed, as a present.
11-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Easily so! The SRT bodies were bricks! Very excellent bricks, to be sure. My dad has an SRT 102 with jammed shutter languishing in a drawer somewhere and I am always trying to talk him into letting me get int CLA'd for him. No deal. He won't part with it. Steve
Why would any-one want to part with one of these, I couldn't part with mine, it was my first SLR and it still works and meters perfectly. But if you own one you have to have it in working condition.
These bodies were great because they would keep working when others would stop. Mine travelled every-where with me, from glaciers to volcanoes,extreme cold to heat and dust storms to high
humidity, it now gets cosseted.
Glenn

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
11-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #65

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
Why would any-one want to part with one of these
Glenn
I parted with a Rokkor 58/1.4 a year or so ago (happily, I gave it to a friend, so it's still nearby). Every time I look at this picture, I kinda regret it:

11-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
Why would any-one want to part with one of these, I couldn't part with mine, it was my first SLR and it still works and meters perfectly. But if you own one you have to have it in working condition.
These bodies were great because they would keep working when others would stop. Mine travelled every-where with me, from glaciers to volcanoes,extreme cold to heat and dust storms to high
humidity, it now gets cosseted.
Glenn
What a gem this model is. So solid it is wonderful to just hold and click.
12-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #67

Prefered camera system

I bought into the Nikon system in '70. No doubt the best 35mm system.

A slight correction to previous posts: Tha Nikon systen is the standard, All the others are reversed!

The Pentax system went downhill after the screw mount was abandoned.

12-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #68
Site Supporter

Easily so! The SRT bodies were bricks! Very excellent bricks, to be sure. My dad has an SRT 102 with jammed shutter languishing in a drawer somewhere and I am always trying to talk him into letting me get int CLA'd for him. No deal. He won't part with it.

Steve
I have an SRT 201 and the only reason I consider selling it is because I have some many 135 bodies.
12-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by puderse Quote
I bought into the Nikon system in '70. No doubt the best 35mm system.

The Pentax system went downhill after the screw mount was abandoned.
The 1980 released K Mount Pentax LX is unequaled by any Nikon. Or for that matter by any other brand . . .

However, Nikon probably sold more manual focus 35mm SLRs in their markets during the era of the 60's, 70's & 80's.
12-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
Yes! I haven't tried the OM1, but if it's anything like the match-needle system of the KX it is very good. And as you say, leds are not as easy to work with. Even worse though is the modern digital screen in the viewfinder that shows the shutter speed in digital numbers.

Anyway, back to the topic.

Favorite SLR system besides Pentax must be the Fuji GX680 system. It's not really comparable to a "normal" SLR system. It weighs about as much as an elephant, and you would need a smaller herd of donkeys to carry it around comfortably. But it's so versatile! Thanks to the movements of the lens(es), if you have an idea for a shot, the GX can most probably produce it. Also the control over DOF [sic] is something I really like, as I'm a fan of thin DOF.

The GX system is so different from the the Pentax system that I don't really have to think about which camera to take with me, the kind of shots that I'm going to take decides which camera I will take with me.
We borrowed a GX680 for an producing very large (60X80) prints for an exhibition. It was the original model and had to have the battery rebuilt as it would not take a charge and new ones are not available. Best $40 on gear ever spent. The GX680 is outstanding in a studio situation. I have read of some one who takes their's on hikes. Sort of like taking a large dog on a hike but you have to carry the dog the entire time

I much perfer my Hasselblad 500 C/M. To me it is the perfect camera for when I am working on a tripod. They may be overrated and over priced but to me i just feels right. And as far as price goes if I spent the amount on a digital camera that I have on the Hasselblad and lenses, and I think almost all full frame dslr are more than I paid for my system, it would now be worth much less than what my system cost and it is not going down anytime soon.

I hope to borrow a Nikon F100 to try it out as it should feel similar to the D200 I use at work. There are so many great film cameras out there for so little money that most of us could afford to have any one or even more than one if we so wished. I perfer to borrow though so not to have cameras still around not being used. I like being able to use the same lenses for my digital and 35mm and the MZ5n is so light and compact. I never liked the Nikormats or the Canon FTb series.

We will be borrowing the GX680 again as the owner never uses it and there are I think 3 or maybe 4 lenses and boy are they sharp. This time I plan on shooting some black and white film as well as colour, perhaps in the field as well as there are some interesting locations where one can park near. For any distance I will take the 4X5 over it but that is not a SLR.
12-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Minolta.
The SRT 102 was my first camera and I continued with Minolta.
Alas, the SRT is no longer around but still use a few of the Minolta bodies from time to time. Love the XE-7. Silky smooth.

12-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #72

I can't wait. I have a Minolta x-570 on the way. Plus I plan on picking up an XE-7 and XD-11. I don't know which one I'll like more.
12-04-2012, 06:33 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
The 1980 released K Mount Pentax LX is unequaled by any Nikon. Or for that matter by any other brand . . .

However, Nikon probably sold more manual focus 35mm SLRs in their markets during the era of the 60's, 70's & 80's.
All things considered, the LX is the best manual-focus 35mm SLR in the whole of human history.

When you consider the interchangeable finders, the off-the-film-plane light metering, the backwards-counting rewind, the weather sealing and the sheer tank-like build of the thing, I can't think of another SLR with as much to offer its user.
12-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jools Quote
Minolta.
The SRT 102 was my first camera and I continued with Minolta.
Alas, the SRT is no longer around but still use a few of the Minolta bodies from time to time. Love the XE-7. Silky smooth.
The smoothness of the XE-7 really has to be experienced!

Here is my Minolta Family shot . . .

12-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #75
Veteran Member

I am a bit odd. I currently kept my 135 to the minimal with one K-mount body -- Ricoh xr-p. I took it out two weeks ago seeing the mirror getting stuck upon shutter. For a moment, I fretted about losing my one film body that I love using. A week later, I found I have the metering on A and the mirror does flip down after seconds -- the silliest film newbie never stops amazing himself. Until the days come that do us apart, I will keep it as my K-mount film buddy.

And I have not used this body that come with lens purhase

The Konica TC is amuzingly loud in the shutter and I hear better comments on the Konica T3/T4.

If I ever found a better way to scan 135, the few film bodies that I have kept will likely give me more excitement than my digital bodies. It is a shame none of my current digital bodies excite me as much as the film bodies that I see in this thread. Call me bias and such is my thought .....

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 12-04-2012 at 10:12 AM.