Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
Forum Member

Spotmatic II

I recently got a spotmatic II , however sometimes it's a bit sticky, and the mirror doesn't come back down, and you have to wind and fire again for it to come back down again, this mainly happen's alot on the slower speeds, not really on the faster speeds there all fine, the mirror bumper is a bit grubby, however it's not goo yet, and it's not marking the mirror stick at all, however the camera has been in stoarge for 10+ years, any ideas? will winding it on and firing eventually get rid of this?

Last edited by Hayob; 01-29-2013 at 11:53 AM.
11-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Hard to say. But a CLA for a camera of that vintage is often necessary.
11-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hayob Quote
...the mirror doesn't come back down, and you have to wind and fire again for it to come back down again, this inly happen's alot on the slower speeds...has been in stoarge for 10+ years...
As Tuco said... CLA needed.
What is usually happening is the camera may be dried out over time.
Not only the foam being gooey and plain yuck, but the grease and oils turn to crud and dust.
The slowing down of the action of the return to the mirror is part due to the shutter rollers loosing momentum as well as the friction and contact points no-longer sliding well against each other.
The overhaul to clean out the parts and dried out lubes should be done.

Also, to preempt the suggestion to hose the camera with WD40 or lighter fluid... NO, Don't Do That! I just recently received a camera from a person that dripped lighter fluid inside a Spotty F from the bottom and when that didn't work, he gave it who knows how many shots of WD40 and finally the lube caused the curtain to fall off the spindle.

Do search around for past threads on the CLA for Pentax and Essex. "Camera Repair .COM" not sure if they are any good?

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 11-06-2012 at 12:57 PM.
11-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replys, i have bought some seals for it and seeming that it will likely be my main workhorse for film now ( replacing my ME ), so i reckon that a CLA is needed, Thanks again guys,

Hayden

11-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Thanks for the replys, i have bought some seals for it and seeming that it will likely be my main workhorse for film now ( replacing my ME ), so i reckon that a CLA is needed, Thanks again guys,

Hayden
A few years ago I picked up a Spotmatic F. The body was in good shape. But the meter was off, bad foam seals and I'm sure pretty gummy inside. I bucked up for a CLA and meter calibration. It made the camera rather expensive in the end but I did it not for the economics of it all but rather in perserving a camera that for each one that is tossed out means one less existing in the world.

Last edited by tuco; 11-07-2012 at 12:32 PM.
11-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
Giveaway winner!

replacing my ME )
what happened to the ME?
11-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
what happened to the ME?
Nothing has happened to my ME, i couldn't bear to part with it, after all it was my first SLR , he has been resorted on my shelf of cameras, i will use the Spotmatic more now though
11-08-2012, 03:29 AM   #8
J8B

I had exactly the same problem with my Spotmatic II and I followed the instructions
here to fix this. Its also discussed in this thread here.

It worked for me and has been fine ever since. Good luck!