Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fujichrome, what to do with it?

I received some rolls of Fujichrome 100 in 120 rolls yesterday. Given that it's old stuff like 1990 (it's been frozen all this time) I know that it's not likely to perform like the original stuff (the color may be off etc.). I haven't checked with my local store yes but assuming that I can get it process (and I think I can) what do I do with it next. In my earlier film days, I shot all 35mm and mostly slides. I had the projector etc. to deal with it. I know that you could also get 2-1/4 slides from 120 film - typically shot with a 6x6 camera and there were projectors for things like that. However, as I have only 6x7 and 645 cameras available to me, what do I get after processing? Just get the images scanned? Are there different types of MF slides? This was not an area I ever dealt with back in the day.

Love to hear some thoughts on what to do with this film given my options today. (I do have a Minoltaflex TLR camera that I really don't know how to use. Might be an option.)

Oh, one option is the trash can too...

11-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am going to try Dwayne's mail service for some Fuji C41 color 120
They do the develop only for under $5 and make a cd for about $4 (I think the scans are about 4MB/shot) , plus postage , about $10 per roll.
I was also looking at 120Processing.com - similar prices and service, just specializing in 120 film
11-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I received some rolls of Fujichrome 100 in 120 rolls yesterday. Given that it's old stuff like 1990 (it's been frozen all this time) I know that it's not likely to perform like the original stuff (the color may be off etc.). I haven't checked with my local store yes but assuming that I can get it process (and I think I can) what do I do with it next. In my earlier film days, I shot all 35mm and mostly slides. I had the projector etc. to deal with it. I know that you could also get 2-1/4 slides from 120 film - typically shot with a 6x6 camera and there were projectors for things like that. However, as I have only 6x7 and 645 cameras available to me, what do I get after processing? Just get the images scanned? Are there different types of MF slides? This was not an area I ever dealt with back in the day.

Love to hear some thoughts on what to do with this film given my options today. (I do have a Minoltaflex TLR camera that I really don't know how to use. Might be an option.)

Oh, one option is the trash can too...
Send it to me before you put it in the trash

Just shoot it and get scans. Not sure if they mount 120 slides.
I typically send out my E6, get the lab to develop and long sleeve, then I cut and scan at home.
11-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
However, as I have only 6x7 and 645 cameras available to me, what do I get after processing? Just get the images scanned? Are there different types of MF slides? This was not an area I ever dealt with back in the day.
In the past you could make Cibachrome prints. Now days you scan them or have laser internegatives made for c prints. Medium format slide projectors do exist, but they are probably not a good solution.

Steve

11-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

shoot and scan is the way to go now. MF slide mounts are tough to come by now. you might try cross processing if you are worried about colour performance. then the wonkiness is intentional
11-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Maybe your example will fare better then this garage kept Kodak Ektar 125 with expiration date of 1992. What I did is I shot a roll under various controlled exposure to determine what it's "real" ISO is now. In this case, at ISO32 it gives me some latitude on either side which is typical of negatives.

11-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Interesting responses, thanks for this input. I think scanning will be my preferred approach.