Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Film is fun, and still very cheap compared to digital. I'm using 30-40 year old film cameras, but have been through maybe 10 digital cameras in the last 20 years. There are many Pentax film bodies out there that are just great bargains. The MX, the ZX series, I like the ZX-5N like many do, and bought one NOS at Adorama a few years ago for $70. And then there is the ME Super. The LX and MZ-S are expensive, and worth it if you need what they offer. Each body is different, I like the simplest. There's lots of information and reviews of these on the Forum, as well as for lenses that will work very well with them. Get a nice solid set-up and shoot some film!

11-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have just recently received a Pentax SV and been snapping away with it. This camera came in the early sixties and was the forerunner of the Spotmatics that followed. The Spotmatics incorporated a light meter behind the lens whereas the SV and S1a had one the was made to clip on the top. The SV is basic although it does have a timer on it. I love it. It is slightly smaller than the later Spotmatics but is even more jewel-like in feel. I want to tale it to bed with me, something I never felt for the plastic cameras that followed with all their electronic apparatus. I don't bother with a light meter with this SV as the "Sunny 16" rule is very helpful if used with experience. I am now awaiting delivery of an S1a which is an SV without a timer. I just love the manual cameras, and is it really so hard to do your own focusing, and aperture and speed selection? I have a K5, but it isn't my most joyful camera, even if it is a very good one.
11-16-2012, 04:15 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Few days ago i was at a party and my job was to take picture of all the people in the place. I just took my SuperA (SuperProgram on the US market), DA*55/1.4 and FA-J 18-35/4-5.6, 5 rolls of film.

And then : choose a speed that work everywhere ... 1/60 will do the job, body choose aperture for correct exposure (between f2 and 1.4) with a 3200 iso film, and let's rock and rolla !

out of 80 B&W picture : 60 are perfect / 10 slightly out of focus / 10 missed due to subject against the light.

Just check setting times to times, then frame / shoot / frame /shoot /frame ... is that a film camera ? Yep ! Shoot !!!

The simple joy of just focusing on what is the most important : the subject and the framing.

The stressful joy of discovering picture after the lab processing.

The grateful joy of the people on the picture.

All that have no price for me
11-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #19
Veteran Member

As mentioned above, the film cameras are all a matter of personal preference, but all work is pretty much the same way.

I very much love my ME, and my SP1000 both for different reasons, the ME is faster (aperture priority + nicer focus screen), but the SP also forces me to be more aware of what I'm doing.

When I want to focus on the result, I take the *ist.
When I want to focus on the method, I take the SP1000
When I want a balance of the two, I take the ME

As a result, pretty much every image on the walls of my house are from the ME