Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K1000 Problem?

I just got a K1000 in the mail today and, like most people would, started playing with it. I then had the advance lever jam and opened it up to try to see what was wrong. (No film in it)

The rubbery-cloth bits (sorry, I don't know the name) are in between transitions. That's all I can see. Then I noticed that the advance lever wasn't springing back properly.

I don't know what to do... Any advice?

11-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter

The shutter may be stuck open, have you tried turning the shutter speed dial? What happens when you press the shutter button?

Phil.
11-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The shutter may be stuck open, have you tried turning the shutter speed dial? What happens when you press the shutter button?

Phil.
Nothing happens when I turn the speed dial. When I press the shutter button, I can only depress it about half way and nothing happens.
11-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Here's a picture if it'll help.

11-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter

That would be a shutter stuck mid-way, apparently during cocking. Alternatively the leading curtain may have jammed on release and the following is jammed up against it. Either way, it will need some skilled attention.

Steve
11-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That would be a shutter stuck mid-way, apparently during cocking. Alternatively the leading curtain may have jammed on release and the following is jammed up against it. Either way, it will need some skilled attention.

Steve
By "skilled attention" I assume you mean someone who (unlike me) actually knows what they are doing?
11-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I would contact Eric. I don't have his link at hand, but can get it if you are interested. He is good ,reasonable, and highly recommended here on the Forums
11-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I would contact Eric. I don't have his link at hand, but can get it if you are interested. He is good ,reasonable, and highly recommended here on the Forums
He can be found at: Home

11-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
Giveaway winner!

I noticed that the inside is very dusty. In the front of the camera under the lens is the mirror. Is it in the up position or is it still in the down and you can look through?
11-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
I noticed that the inside is very dusty. In the front of the camera under the lens is the mirror. Is it in the up position or is it still in the down and you can look through?
I thought it was down. It is up.

Last edited by SpartanD63; 11-13-2012 at 08:14 PM.
11-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #11
Giveaway winner!

If the mirror is up, it is either supposed to go up allow to fire the shutter or to come back down to finish and unblock the winding system.
Since you reported the winding being stuck, then we must have a issue with the release of the shutter. The picture seems to show both the curtains. So the first curtain must be stuck or the second curtain release prematurely. Do you know what speed or number the shutter dial (that would be the dial on the top part of the camera that has a B and numbers 1 to 1000) was set to when it stopped working?
11-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I do believe that it was either "B" or 60. At least, those were what I'd been playing around with most...
11-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Is this the K1000 you bought from me on the marketplace? It worked before I sent it! Try pressing the shutter button, then pulling the film advance lever all the way forward, then try the shutter button again. It should fire!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Is this the K1000 you bought from me on the marketplace? It worked before I sent it! Try pressing the shutter button, then pulling the film advance lever all the way forward, then try the shutter button again. It should fire!
It was working... It just kinda... stopped while I was playing with it.

While typing this, I freed it. I used a bit more force (I was afraid to til now) It works now.
11-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanD63 Quote
It was working... It just kinda... stopped while I was playing with it. While typing this, I freed it. I used a bit more force (I was afraid to til now) It works now.
Ok- but please do shoot me a PM if you have any further issues with it

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: