Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One side severly underexposed ... help!

I developed my very first roll of film, black and white ilford 100. Out of the 36 exposures about 6 of them showed severe darkening on the right side of the photo covering about 1/4 of the image. I can not quite figure out why this happened. If light was leaking then I would expect some "burning" of certain sides not darkening. I am quite sure I did not let the strap flop over part of the lens nor would I have been clumsy enough to put a finger or hand over part of the frame...

I am absolutely new to film development, can anyone offer up any explanations for this occurance?

Thank you for any thoughts,
Cory

Last edited by The dog walker; 11-17-2013 at 07:40 PM.
11-19-2012, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #2

That's usually a symptom of the shutter sticking. The camera probably needs a CLA.
11-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
That's usually a symptom of the shutter sticking. The camera probably needs a CLA.
Great diagnosis, I suppose I have a body that needs some TLC after seeing this Q&A.......

love the posed dogs and fellow at the picnic table - very dignified.
11-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thx,
self portrait .... attempt, great exposure is why I am so ticked at the side underexposed problem!!!

11-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yup - the uneven exposure shows the gap between the shutter curtains doesn't stay the same width as it moves across the frame. Chances are these are the shots taken at high shutter speeds, where the gap is smaller and a small difference is more obvious. When the 2nd (closing) curtain catches up to the first (leading) curtain before it crosses the frame it is called "capping". Either the first curtain is a bit slow from gummy lubricant, or the second is too fast from drying out.
People often try to fix this by increasing the spring tension on the first curtain to make it move faster, which is a mistake. Need to disassemble and clean out the old lube, the reassemble with the correct lubes and adjust curtain speeds and gap.
A trip to Eric would fix it.
11-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yup, My intuition was that the camera was the culpirt. Anyone know of a good Canadian CLR company - hate to pay border tax both ways,
Cory
11-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The dog walker Quote
Yup, My intuition was that the camera was the culpirt. Anyone know of a good Canadian CLR company - hate to pay border tax both ways,
Cory
You should not have to pay border tax either way. There is no tariff between the U.S. and Canada (and vice versa) on cameras or lenses. Use Canada Post. UPS will charge a customs brokerage fee even though it is totally unneeded.

Steve

11-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

By the way...what camera was used for your photos? Looks like sticky leading curtain.

Steve
11-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
It was a Canon F1 with a 50mm FD 1.4 lens. I have a k1000 with a few lenses as well, debating whether I want to keep the Canon and its added complexity or go with the much more simple k1000 only with my assortment of lenses.
11-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Canon F1 is a great camera, and the 1.4 FD has nice resolution and contrast. I picked up two F1s in the last couple of years, and both had shutter capping like yours shows until getting cleaned and lubricated. But if the K1000 suits your needs, you could likely sell the F1 for a reasonable amount and stay with one system. I don't know of an "Eric" equivalent for Canon, but they are not hard to work on - so a general camera tech should do well with it.