Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
Inactive Account

ME Super

i have a problem i was hoping someone could help me with. i recently got a m e super, it is in great condition, with one minor problem, the exposure counter does not work. i need to know how many times i have to crank the advance to get to the first exposure. is it 2 or 3? i have enjoyed taking pictures since i was a kid and this is my first "real" film camera.

11-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I think it's 3 from memory on the ME (should be the same on ME super)

The counter goes . . 0 1

Here's a pic:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/203352-what-do-pentax-me-2.html
11-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still have my ME Super i purchased last century...I even use it from time to time...thought not much since I finally purchased a K-30.

Once you spool your film and close the back, snap the shutter, but keep an eye on the winder knob on the left. If it doesn't rotate, the film has not likely taken hold on the winder. It should rotate each time you activate the shutter. Usually two snaps is fine, three for sure. Also, I developed the habit of gently winding the left winder knob to "tighten" the film gently, but firmly. It may be a wives tale, but when I learned this, the rationale was that by doing so, it assures that the film is properly positioned for a flat exposure.

Bottom line is that you can start out with two cranks, if it works, great. If not, three should do the trick.

PS. I just pulled out my ME Super.

I closed the back, snapped the shutter, and on the second, my counter was zero. On the third, it moved to 1.

So the official answer is "3".

Just like the owl answering the age old question, "how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?"

Last edited by Tonyr99; 11-19-2012 at 09:06 PM. Reason: To be more precise
11-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax ME Super manual and film loading pg 8-9
http://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_me_super-1.pdf

Hope this helps....Cliff

11-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you for your help