Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax SF-1 & SF-10

Hi and Happy Thanksgiving!

I have both of these camera bodies and they are in good condition, but of no use to me. I purchased them new in 1987 and when digital came out I stopped using them approximately 1991 or 1992. Do I offer them for sale in the marketplace? They have been sitting in my camera bag protected since I stopped using them.

Thanks.

11-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, here's the link to list them:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/newthread.php?do=form

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Adam. I will try to determine some kind of price, make a donation, and get them out for sale.
11-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #4

Now here's the thing - SLRs are becoming the "New" DSLRs! People are realising that Pentax K-fit lenses are extremly versatile and can be used on almost any K-mount camera. I have at least 4 for my K5 plus my original KX body from the late 1970s with the superb 50mm SMC f1.4 prime lens - awesome! So have a backup 35mm camera body with you or go back to using film for certain occasions. A fully manual lens is fine for those who can remember how to focus and can read the info the camera tells them about aperture. Even better get a lens with an "A" setting. The big thing about all the "old" tech is that it's all as cheap as chips, as we say in the UK. I bought a Pentax SL-X with an auto lens for about 35 off eBay recently and I've started collecting other Pentax and Chinon bodies and lenses. One Chinon came with a beautiful, all manual, Carl Zeiss 35-70mm Macro Zoom lens. Actually, forget everything I've said or the demand and prices will go up!

11-23-2012, 02:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Graylion Quote
... Actually, forget everything I've said or the demand and prices will go up!
Actually the prices for older manual lenses has been rising sharply over the last few years. Stuff I bought only a couple of years back is now regularly selling for two or three times what I paid for it.

K.
11-23-2012, 03:54 AM   #6

Crikey!! I've recently paid 34 for an SFX camera with 28-90mm AF zoom lens; 33 for an MZ60 camera with Pentax AF Zoom lens, and 35 for a Tamron AF 28-80mm aspherical zom lens; 35 for a Chinon CP-7m camera with full kit of flash, 2 x Zeiss manual lenses (immaculate!) and shoulder bag! I call these prices "cheap as chips" and I have more bits on order whilst they're that cheap. So you were paying less than 10 for lenses before? AMAZING!!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Actually the prices for older manual lenses has been rising sharply over the last few years. Stuff I bought only a couple of years back is now regularly selling for two or three times what I paid for it.

K.

Last edited by Graylion; 11-23-2012 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Price mistake
11-23-2012, 04:43 AM   #7

That's a shame as digital shouldn't replace film any more than it should replace books. I have books 150 years old at home and they are still in good, readable condition. Hands up anyone who thinks they will be able to say that in 150 years time about digital replacements! DSLRs shouldn't replace film cameras even though commercial pressures are trying to force us in that direction.

QuoteOriginally posted by kiteman Quote
Hi and Happy Thanksgiving!

I have both of these camera bodies and they are in good condition, but of no use to me. I purchased them new in 1987 and when digital came out I stopped using them approximately 1991 or 1992. Do I offer them for sale in the marketplace? They have been sitting in my camera bag protected since I stopped using them.

Thanks.
11-24-2012, 04:16 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Graylion Quote
Crikey!! I've recently paid 34 for an SFX camera with 28-90mm AF zoom lens; 33 for an MZ60 camera with Pentax AF Zoom lens, and 35 for a Tamron AF 28-80mm aspherical zom lens; 35 for a Chinon CP-7m camera with full kit of flash, 2 x Zeiss manual lenses (immaculate!) and shoulder bag! I call these prices "cheap as chips" and I have more bits on order whilst they're that cheap. So you were paying less than 10 for lenses before? AMAZING!!!!
Actually, I said manual... most of those lenses you mention are AF (and consumer grade zooms). Quality manual primes like the SMC Pentax 135/2.5, any of the early 50mm f/1.4 lenses, almost any manual 85mm lens.... all those have shot up. Also, earlier manual cameras (like the MX for example) have held their value much better than the later AF/AE models like the S, Z and M series cameras (with the exception of the very top-end ones like the MZ-S which still commands a high price). My guess is that if you like using film you probably like using manual, solid, metal cameras. If your film camera has much the same whizz-bang features as a dSLR, many would feel "why bother"? I have a SF7 and a SFXn which I use occasionally, but my MX, FED2, Lubitel 2 etc. get much more use.

As to costing less than 10, actually I have been given plenty of kit for nothing. So many non-photographers are amazed to find that anyone actually makes film any more, let alone uses the stuff!

Cheers, Kris.

12-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #9

Comparing oranges with apples then? We're obviously both right! I said it's as cheap as chips to get back into SLR film to accompany your digital Pentax. It stands to reason it would be best (but not essential) to have AF lenses to share with your kit, but some manual primes are cheap also. This is excludes wide aperture primes of course. They always fetch a good price, which is why I'm keeping my old but immaculate Pentax SMC f1.4 which I bought in the late 70s with the KX - NEW! I use it on my K5 now as well. From the old days I also have a Bell & Howell f2.8 135mm and a Hoya f2.8 35mm.

I was keeping the SLXn I bought recently but, fickle as I am, I might now go for a Z1/PZ1 or similar.

So covering 35mm and digital is VERY cheap by anyone's standards mainly because people think digital has supoerceded film!
12-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #10
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DK if this contributes to the conversation. I guess that depends on who reads the Reply.

FWIW I purchased an SF1n 2-lens "kit" here (F35~70 and F70~210) with the EverReady case and a top loading Lowe Pro bag, 4 rolls of film, manuals for all three items in English and French and some additional bits like the flash shoe and VF covers - the entire lot - for $75.

Everything is like-new, spotless, exquisite.

I believe I essentially stole this from the seller, and PM'ed that in my "Received It" email, but he said ha had no use for it and wished me much enjoyment.

[EDIT:] After a PM from the OP I realize I wasn't clear in this post. My intention is to suggest if the cameras are working the OP just hang on to them. One never knows when the yen to shoot real film will pop up.

As you can read in my sig I have kept a few film cameras for just such an occurence.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-04-2012 at 07:23 AM.
12-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #11

PS. In an earlier post I mentioned my book that's 150 years old. Silly me!! A mistake - it's 250 years old!