Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
Forum Member

Asahiflex iia - The first roll

I've run the first roll through my little Asahiflex iia (58/2.4) and I am totally in love.

There is one tiny niggle. The operation is so much like my old, familiar K-1000 *except* for needing to close down the diaphragm that I kept forgetting. When I use, for example, my old Kodak iiiC of Nikon FT2, nothing is quite where I expect so I'm stepping through the whole process mentally. On the Asahiflex, I can *almost* stay in autopilot -- and so I do and forget to close the diaphragm. I was getting better about it by the end of the first roll though,

These were taken with Fuji Reala and scanned from negative with a Canoscan 8400F.

11-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #2

Looks like it is doing a good job.I have never shot one of them,my first Pentax was a Honeywell
11-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice pix! Especially the gravestone.
11-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice. I found in shooting mine that the waistlevel finder was too cumbersome for most shots (unless critical focus was needed), so I used scale focus more with the eye-level viewfinder. I also shoot a Leica model 1, which has to be scale focused (unless you have an accessory rangefinder) so I'm a bit used to guessing distance.
Did you have Eric give it a CLA? Mine had a stiff curtain, so Eric made a new one and went through it all.

11-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Very nice. I found in shooting mine that the waistlevel finder was too cumbersome for most shots (unless critical focus was needed), so I used scale focus more with the eye-level viewfinder. I also shoot a Leica model 1, which has to be scale focused (unless you have an accessory rangefinder) so I'm a bit used to guessing distance.
Did you have Eric give it a CLA? Mine had a stiff curtain, so Eric made a new one and went through it all.
After taking the picture below, I started to wonder if maybe I should be getting myself more comfortable with scale focusing. I wasn't so much going for an off-kilter look as I was struggling to focus with a waist level finder while holding the camera in a portrait orientation. I'm sure I also looked ridiculous.

The guts of this camera look beautiful -- far nicer than the worn pleasantly exterior. I suspect that Lucky's refurbed it a bit before it went on the shelf.

11-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I recall your thread telling us of your acquisition. I have my father's AsahiFlex and a few lenses, but the old warrior needs repair. They are sweet little machines. Good shot of your little child! That f2.4 has nice bokeh. I have many, many slides my father shot with his 'Flex, those old Takumars are good glass; the 83mm f1.9 is a gem for portraits, although verticals are a pain. He also had a 35mm Sears branded WA which did good work, and tubes and bellows for flower photography. Using the latter was a real chore, without TTL metering. Haul out the slide rule for exposure compensation.

Verticals? Focus horizontal, then shift to vertical. One way to take sneaky photos, though. LOL.

I can appreciate the adjustment to a pre set lens, and certainly the viewfinder is dimmer than we're used to. You have a piece of history in your hands.
11-27-2012, 12:48 AM   #7
Pentaxian

So good to see these old machines at work with such good results. I know what you mean about 'forgetting settings'. I have a 1949 Retinette folder, and finally made myself a mental checklist before I clicked:
Camera is awkward to use because one must remember 5 things after opening it.

Wind the film, cock the shutter, set the focus, get a light meter reading and set the aperture and then the speed. (If you half press the shutter and let it go, the double exposure lock prevention will lock the button until film is advanced.)

It's all part of the challenge.
11-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The results look very good, I like the Reala colours.

The oldest film camera I've used is an SP1000, and it takes more care and thought than any of the others, but that's part of the pleasure of using it. It's just a question of getting used to it.

11-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
So good to see these old machines at work with such good results. I know what you mean about 'forgetting settings'. I have a 1949 Retinette folder, and finally made myself a mental checklist before I clicked:
Camera is awkward to use because one must remember 5 things after opening it.

Wind the film, cock the shutter, set the focus, get a light meter reading and set the aperture and then the speed. (If you half press the shutter and let it go, the double exposure lock prevention will lock the button until film is advanced.)

It's all part of the challenge.
Yep, I have a Retina I, my first camera. Bought second hand, I assure you! I ain't old enough to have bought it new, although some mornings.... With that old gem, your list applies, plus when closing the camera must remember to set the focus to infinity or ... probably damage things! Does that apply to your Retinette?

Sadly when I put the camera away I left a fingerprint on the uncoated Ektar lens, which has etched itself into the glass. Anyone know whether repolishing is economically feasible, or even possible? I am further saddened by my carelessness, since the Compur shutter seems to work perfectly, even the 1 sec speed sounds good.
11-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Yep, I have a Retina I, my first camera. Bought second hand, I assure you! I ain't old enough to have bought it new, although some mornings.... With that old gem, your list applies, plus when closing the camera must remember to set the focus to infinity or ... probably damage things! Does that apply to your Retinette?

Sadly when I put the camera away I left a fingerprint on the uncoated Ektar lens, which has etched itself into the glass. Anyone know whether repolishing is economically feasible, or even possible? I am further saddened by my carelessness, since the Compur shutter seems to work perfectly, even the 1 sec speed sounds good.
Sorry to hear about the finger print. I would not try to polish it, because it will never show on the photos. I have been astounded at how much damage a lens can have before it affects the picture. As for folding it to put it away, yes, I think every Retina and Retinette have to be fully retracted (infinity focus) to fold away. I have a dozen restored Retina / Retinettes because they are little jewels I cannot resist.

11-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Sorry to hear about the finger print. I would not try to polish it, because it will never show on the photos. I have been astounded at how much damage a lens can have before it affects the picture. As for folding it to put it away, yes, I think every Retina and Retinette have to be fully retracted (infinity focus) to fold away. I have a dozen restored Retina / Retinettes because they are little jewels I cannot resist.
The Retina iiiC is infinitely that way and it took some getting use to, but it is still one of my favorites. The first one I handled was my husband's grandfather's. I really liked it, but wasn't comfortable running around with something with so much sentimental value attached -- especially when I could pick up my on eekBay for fifty bucks -- so I got my own.
11-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Retina help??

Since I am in the presence of Retina folk some advice please. I have a IIIc which needs work. It had been working fine - viewfinder clear, shutter good (1 sec a little slow, but no big deal), the meter is kaput, but I've got an ancient Norwood Director. I'd been able to score a case for it in virtually new condition, plus a lens hood and two filters. I was good to go. Then while using it one day, with Kodachrome, no less! it locked up. No film advance, no shutter release. Arrrgh!

Any recommendations for a repair person? I'd like to get it back on the road so I could go into full '50s mode with it and my Vitessa L f2. A brace of classic folders.
11-28-2012, 04:20 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Since I am in the presence of Retina folk some advice please. I have a IIIc which needs work. It had been working fine - viewfinder clear, shutter good (1 sec a little slow, but no big deal), the meter is kaput, but I've got an ancient Norwood Director. I'd been able to score a case for it in virtually new condition, plus a lens hood and two filters. I was good to go. Then while using it one day, with Kodachrome, no less! it locked up. No film advance, no shutter release. Arrrgh!

Any recommendations for a repair person? I'd like to get it back on the road so I could go into full '50s mode with it and my Vitessa L f2. A brace of classic folders.
I have had my Retinas repaired and serviced in New Zealand by Chris Sherlock. He once worked for Kodak and really knows his stuff. I doubt there is anyone who knows more about Retinas
Sounds like a cocking rack is stripped.

retinarepair@gmail.com
Chris Sherlock's Kodak Retina & Retinette camera repair service
11-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Thanks for the info. I'd heard of him but a user report is always good.