Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Negatives are discarded unless instructed otherwise??
We work customers on a one on one bases. Some just want the digital files, others it's more economical for us to save the negs and then mail them back once a month or every few months depending on how much is coming in. Return shipping on the negatives is $5 so it saves people money. But most people we deal with just want the files, so that is what has worked for us.

11-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Sorry, what does it mean to not cut the negatives? I assume this means not to cut the film strip into segments each around 6 exposures or so, if memory serves me right (it's been a long time). And if the whole thing is a long strip, how should they return the film if not in a film can?
My local lab puts them in sleeves and hangs them up for my pick up. For E6 I take them to London Drugs which has to send them out of town, They arrive in a sleeve and the sleeve is in either a tube like posters come in or a box, again loosely wound. A film can is just too tight, I must add as well that most of my film is 120 so there is no can but a film cannister is simply too small
11-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Thanks for clarifying! I've seen the sleeves for cut negatives, but not for a whole long strip. Makes sense to me now.
11-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Sorry, what does it mean to not cut the negatives? I assume this means not to cut the film strip into segments each around 6 exposures or so, if memory serves me right (it's been a long time). And if the whole thing is a long strip, how should they return the film if not in a film can?
Guess I wasn't clear. These folks used to put the uncut negs into that continuous folder-like poly strip sleeve, great stuff. The whole shebang could then be gently put into a plastic shopping bag, or merely hung up on the rack in the back of the store used for hanging negs prior to printing, or whatever. I probably should have asked them to cut into strips of six. When they printed after development the negs came back in varying lengths, some as short as 3 frames.

I was able to remove the negs with little damage, but...

BTW, my father, who should have know better, left a lot of negs he processed in the '30s rolled and stored in metal film cans. Any suggestions about removing them without damage, and then uncurling them? Maybe re-wash and dry?

11-29-2012, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by montman Quote
We work customers on a one on one bases. Some just want the digital files, others it's more economical for us to save the negs and then mail them back once a month or every few months depending on how much is coming in. Return shipping on the negatives is $5 so it saves people money. But most people we deal with just want the files, so that is what has worked for us.
Thanks for the clarification. I'd heard elsewhere that WalMart was developing, scanning and then discarding the negs, apparently without asking the patron. Sad that so many folk nowdays don't realize that CDs or DVDs "permanence" is uncertain. Better a shoebox full of loose negs than an ureadable shiny disk.

As a retired librarian I worry about these things.
11-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Guess I wasn't clear. These folks used to put the uncut negs into that continuous folder-like poly strip sleeve, great stuff.
My lab does the same. The sleeve has a fold-over on one edge to make extraction easy and apparently is slipped over the negative strip by the processor as it exits the machine. They roll it all up into a small box. Excellent!

Steve
12-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Dwayne's is great - plus, you can order a great T-Shirt commemorating Kodachrome, for anyone that shot with that slide film.
12-12-2012, 12:26 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I recommend North Coast Photographic Services in Carlsbad, California (near San Diego).

They develop film, scan the developed negatives or slides to CDs, make prints... everything you need. Good people, highly professional, top-notch equipment and operators. Used by professionals across the country, and by amateurs like me. Took a tour of their facility a few days ago, after dropping off some film. Takeaway -- clean, neat, tidy. Processing chemicals changed regularly. Very costly new circuit boards in the developing machines. Extremely knowledgeable person doing scans... getting each frame just right. Several large photo printers, different paper sizes up to very large... gloss, matte, whatever you need.

Recommended!

Last edited by jon404; 12-12-2012 at 12:28 AM. Reason: forgot to mention...
12-12-2012, 12:32 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Also - they develop - scan - print 220 film... when I was there, they were finishing up a 99-roll order for a photographer in New York. Medium format is very much alive and well!

The scans are very useful to me -- I can take them right into Photoshop or Xara Designer. I get their hi-res scans, from 35mm film, that are large enough to still allow cropping even after a 50% reduction in Photoshop.

35mm 5035 x 3339 pixels $11.95 / roll ... if you get the scans when the film is developed.
120 4824 x 3533 pixels $11.95 / roll (size for 6 x 4.5)
220 4824 x 3533 pixels $23.90 / roll (size for 6 x 4.5)

Hope this helps, Jon

Last edited by jon404; 12-12-2012 at 12:42 AM.
12-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #25

Sad that so many folk nowdays don't realize that CDs or DVDs "permanence" is uncertain. Better a shoebox full of loose negs than an ureadable shiny disk.
Unreadable CD's, and those AOL "come on" discs that used to be plentiful at the supermarket checkout counter make great devices for keeping the birds out of my fruit trees. Drill a small hole near the edge, hang them from various places around the trees and let the breeze spin them about!

The birds hate it and move on to the neighbor's garden.

12-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Here's another possible lab: PRO-LAB,INC. I ran across them mentioned in a Flickr group, I called up and the pleasant woman, the proprietor I think, said she'd be glad to do mail order! 120 C 41 develop only is $3.00, she said that if cut into strips ordinary post would be "Perhaps a dollar"!! They'll take checks, or charge card. Apparently they wait a few days to crank up the line, so turn-around could be a week or 10 days.

Here's what was said on the 120 Flickr group:
The problem with most labs is that they use roller transport minilab systems that will embed tons of crud in your emulsion, giving you hours of spotting to do when you scan.

I'm in NJ and use a local lab in Clifton that has a very clean dip and dunk machine for color negs. I get development only and it's $5 a roll, as I don't need prints and I scan myself. You can easily mail your film to them. PRO-LAB,INC.

The owner is very nice, and if you visit, she will likely have fresh baked cupcakes or brownies on the counter. However, due to the low volume, she usually only develops film when she has enough to run the machine, and that is generally one day a week.

Shoot more film everyone, and send it to Prolab and she can run it more often. Otherwise, I'm content to wait for it. If I need instant gratification, then I shoot digital.
Sounds good to me!
12-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hollywoodfred Quote
I highly recommend Dwayne's Photo, A trusted name in photo processing for over 50 years - Dwayne's Photo. They have order forms available on the web site.

I switched to them this spring after my local WalMart stopped developing in-house. The results are much, much better, and the price was about the same. Turnaround time for me (Maryland to Kansas) has been about two weeks.

+1 on Dwayne's. Another mail option is Blue Moon Camera and Machine.
12-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #28

. . . . . Arrangements can be made if you need your negs mailed back but we typically provide images via FTP. Turnaround time is 1-2 weeks. . . . .
Negatives are discarded unless instructed otherwise??
So @montman do you reclaim the silver from the film before discarding it?

Last edited by Racer X 69; 12-12-2012 at 02:43 PM.
12-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #29

In los angeles, I've used Richard Photo Lab (too expensive for me, great for pros, apparently) and now use Pro Photo Connection in Irvine. They charge $7.50 to develop and scan C41, $10 to develop and scan BW ($1 for push/pull), and $12.50 for E6.
12-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
So @montman do you reclaim the silver from the film before discarding it?
From the chemicals. I will be leaving that up to someone else. The negs we just discard if people don't want them.