Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2012, 05:02 AM   #1

Lens release gummed up

I'm a little embarassed to say this, but someone spilled their drink on my ME super freshly CLA'd by Eric. Now the lens release is very stiff and it makes a clicking sound when it's pressed down. Any idea how to fix this?

11-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Before trying the below thing... consider washing some of the sticky remains with rubbing alcohol. The thing is that you should tilt the camera so that the release button is the lowest position and using a cotton sway/Q-tip/cotton stick, wet it to near soaking and dab it at the metal tang of the button and allow it to soak in. Then remove the excess and let dry and repeat until you loosen up the release. Make sure you do this with the batteries out just in case you over soak it. After a satisfactory amount of freeing up is achieved, let the camera dry out for a long while in case of over soaked areas. Note that this is not going to prevent some of the syrup from soaking further and possibly corroding something, but it will dilute some of it... depending on how much travels out in this process.

Disassembly
:
If you are will to remove the mount and try to clean out the release tab and spring. The basic rule is that the mount plate is possibly supported by washers that are to keep the mount accurately position. Removing and finding these washers will mean noting their positions to return them back to correct alignment. I can try and give picture by picture steps later if you would like.
11-28-2012, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
... consider washing some of the sticky remains with rubbing alcohol.
I would not use rubbing alcohol; it contains too much water (30% I think). Instead, use denatured alcohol, available at the paint department of hardware stores.

It's good to have some denatured alcohol around anyway. It's good at cleaning glass and metal. It's flammable, so treat it with respect.

The mount and the lens release button is simple to dissemble for cleaning. Just remember the order to put them back together. A camcorder is great to record the sequence.
11-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the correction SOldBear.

Oh... speaking corrections...

The screws are sometimes difficult to remove due to a thread-lock applied in some cases. The use of a proper fitting driver is best (JIS type) and some heat to break the adhesion... I've used the tip of a hot soldering iron, but don't leave it on too long...more like 15 secs at a time to heat it up.

11-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter

If this was a sugary drink like soda, I wouldn't use any alcohol at all, just plain water. If you get alcohol in the mechanical bits, it could dissolve grease from the wrong places and carry it to places you don't want it to go. Water works fine to dissolve sugar, while not greatly affecting most lubricants.

A waiter once spilled a whole soda right into my pants pocket, where I carried my cell phone. I pulled the battery off right away to de-energize the sensitive circuits, then submerged the body of the phone into a glass of water, stirring it around for the next hour or so while my co-workers laughed. After I got home, I put it in front of a fan for about 5 days. That was a year ago and it's still working great today.

Most electronic components don't mind water (many circuit boards are washed during manufacture), so long as they aren't powered when wet, and provided you let them dry completely before repowering them. If you leave any kind of syrupy or salty residue, it will just attract moisture and cause more corrosion later.

I don't mean to suggest you have to dip your camera in water. I guess if you are actually going to disassemble the shutter release, then any liquid cleaner will do fine assuming you wipe it off all components afterwards.

Good luck!
12-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #6

Original Poster
I put an alcohol soaked piece of tissue into the slot for the tang overnight, and again the next day. Seems to be free now but still not as smooth as the lens release on my super program (exact same mechanism).