Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2008, 04:47 AM   #31
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dantuyhoa Quote
I think film still be around for a while . The digital age actually gives people the confidence and knowledge to tackle the film again , not to mention that "romantic" notion of using a film camera .
My theory is...they still sell oilpaints, right? Watercolours? Clay? Pencils, pens, lined notepaper...

And film is romantic. There's nothing like having a neg (or tranny!) in your hands, weird in its way, a tiny moment, frozen and distilled down to colour and translucence.

And mechanical cameras...it's the same as buying a Swiss watch. Sure, no Valjoux or ETA in your Omega or your Doxa's as accurate as a twenty-dollar Lorus from a chemist, but people still buy, go for 'em. I do admire the mechanical Leicas, and any mesh of machinery so minute and so precise you'd swear it was alive still amazes me. Electronics, you can never tell. The useful lifespan of any digital camera is still gonna be less, way less, than a Spotmatic or an OM. But that's how we're bred these days.

02-25-2008, 06:49 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
The useful lifespan of any digital camera is still gonna be less, way less, than a Spotmatic or an OM. But that's how we're bred these days.
I figure I'll be using my Hasselblad (from 1969) long after my K100D has been assigned to the dustbin (or recycling center -- that's the other thing about digital, all the nasty shiznit in those things).

And how about the permanence of film? After we've finished raping the planet and destroying the human race in the process, I'll still be able to sit in my cave, holding my negs up to the moonlight.
02-25-2008, 07:17 AM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
And how about the permanence of film? After we've finished raping the planet and destroying the human race in the process, I'll still be able to sit in my cave, holding my negs up to the moonlight.
And if we get to that stage, I'll be there to beat your head in with an antelope femur bone and take your 'Blad...

Was searching for some scanning tips, as I've just devved some Tri-X from my ME Super (woo!) and came across a site for scanning services with the tagline "Scan Today, Preserve Forever."

Laughed my arse off at that one.
02-25-2008, 09:29 AM   #34
Veteran Member

And if we get to that stage, I'll be there to beat your head in with an antelope femur bone and take your 'Blad...

Was searching for some scanning tips, as I've just devved some Tri-X from my ME Super (woo!) and came across a site for scanning services with the tagline "Scan Today, Preserve Forever."

Laughed my arse off at that one.
Well you know, jpeg's are the new papyrus...

02-25-2008, 11:22 PM   #35
Veteran Member

My theory is...they still sell oilpaints, right? Watercolours? Clay? Pencils, pens, lined notepaper...

And film is romantic. There's nothing like having a neg (or tranny!) in your hands, weird in its way, a tiny moment, frozen and distilled down to colour and translucence.

And mechanical cameras...it's the same as buying a Swiss watch. Sure, no Valjoux or ETA in your Omega or your Doxa's as accurate as a twenty-dollar Lorus from a chemist, but people still buy, go for 'em. I do admire the mechanical Leicas, and any mesh of machinery so minute and so precise you'd swear it was alive still amazes me. Electronics, you can never tell. The useful lifespan of any digital camera is still gonna be less, way less, than a Spotmatic or an OM. But that's how we're bred these days.

Sure . But one more factor that helps : Forums like this will keep the fire in the belly afire . We are actually connecting with other shutterbugs sharing war stories . I lost the interest in photography for a while b/c it's was difficult to just talk to fellow clicker , not to mention a Pentax user . Heck up to this day I haven't seen one yet !!!
02-25-2008, 11:31 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
I figure I'll be using my Hasselblad (from 1969) long after my K100D has been assigned to the dustbin (or recycling center -- that's the other thing about digital, all the nasty shiznit in those things).

And I will be outside with my nasty expired dogfood , and see how much you love your film !

What part of IA ? I spent sometimes in that ADM area : Ames - Des Moines .

PS Note to self : I need to get some models for a shoot in that old movie .
02-26-2008, 03:54 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by dantuyhoa Quote
And I will be outside with my nasty expired dogfood , and see how much you love your film !

What part of IA ? I spent sometimes in that ADM area : Ames - Des Moines .

PS Note to self : I need to get some models for a shoot in that old movie .
Hi,

Using film is a great joy to me - cause photography my passion. Among many things, its greatest quality is its archival abilities.

There are photo libraries now who when obtaining digital photos are having them copied to film because digital is still not archival. I've had jobs doing archival work for libraries and they still want film.

Indeed, a colleague was telling me that NASA take their space photos digitally and transfer them to colour seperated negatives so that in a 100 years the photos can be seen and used without any problem.

Film photography is a niche now, but it is proven, reliable and delivers the results.

Some of the most interesting photography being done in the art world is largely film based. So don't be put off by those who think technological advances is the same thing as progress. If you want to do fine art photography, film is definitely the way to go.

I just like old cameras and they use film. And as the old saying goes - Film makes good cameras better!!!

03-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #38
Veteran Member

The "expired dog food " refers to to world of Mad Max movies -Mel Gibson . In such a world , however violent or unreal , the demand will keep even the nasty expired dog food alive ! Film is no more different in this context . If enough users around , buying and shooting regularly , film still be alive .

Film is "standard " , easily to be stored and viewed . Digital storage formats changing constantly , not a good long term solution .
03-06-2008, 05:06 PM   #39
Inactive Account

[/QUOTE] Film is "standard " , easily to be stored and viewed . Digital storage formats changing constantly , not a good long term solution .[/QUOTE]

As I sat here reading this last post of dantuyhoa's on this thread regarding the decades old debate of "Film vs. Digital", "Will Film Survive??", etc......

It occurred to me that if the planet were to experience another period of extreme solar flare activity such as the ones that caused the power blackouts in the North East United States several decades ago, there would be a very high probability that all computer chip related devices in the effected parts of the planet would fail to one degree or another..

Including storage devices containing all of those precious images & memories that we digital photographers have spent so much time creating..

Something to think about when comparing the long-term archival qualities of digital media to film media..
03-06-2008, 06:03 PM   #40
Veteran Member

to quote the late great Herbert Keppler

QuoteQuote:
"No, no, dammit, film is not going to disappear, so stop writing me scaredycat letter about how 'we duffers are gonna fade away silently clutching the last rolls of kodachrome to our breasts'"
03-06-2008, 08:29 PM   #41
Veteran Member

baltochef920 ,

Good point ! I guess there might be possible protections against that much I doubt that it will be cheap . Cost is also another factor in choosing which medium to use in long term storage .

I'm using both film and digital . Each has it own "charms " . I don't have time for those debates .

-=JoN=-

Thanks for a great quote !
03-06-2008, 09:55 PM   #42
Inactive Account

A thought:

Digital, methinks, hasn't really converted old film photographers, turning them from film shooters into militant, born-again digital crusaders, deriding film like someone denouncing their neighbour in McCarthy-era America or the Soviet Union. (Sorry, don't mean to get political, but it's what I was aming for.)

What it has done, really, is make photography more accessible to those who would have never pick up a camera in their life, in the film-only days, and, as time's are a-wearin' on, given a camera to people who've no idea of film photography and are barely aware of its existence.

I shoot both - a lot of the times in situations where most people would consider me insane for wasting film on difficult shots.
03-07-2008, 01:57 AM   #43
Veteran Member

baltochef920, you raise a valid point, but your long-term archival film could be wiped away as easily by fire.

There are so many ways to digitally store your pictures. Personally, I keep the shots made with my digicam on my HDD, on DVDs and on my gmail drive (bit of software which makes Explorer see your Gmail account as removable storage). The latter is by far the best option because it's available from virtually anywhere around the globe, and since Google stores copies on multiple servers [citation needed], I'm pretty much covered.
03-10-2008, 12:08 PM   #44

Maybe because I'm not a professional, I photograph only with film. But, the true is that I can't get no satisfaction with digital photography. And that’s because I don’t want to loose the chemical process that involves film photography. I want my 645 Pentax camera see the world like me: with chemical eyes! But that doesn’t mean I hate or disrespect the work of digital photographers. After all, I’m only afraid to loose the possibility to buying film in the future!
03-26-2008, 09:17 PM   #45
Inactive Account

You say you need a changing bag?

Hi, I just read your thread on developing and where you need a changing bag. I have one that I'll let you have. Please contact me @ Daiseyn77@aol.com for details while I go search for the thing in the basement. LOL