Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #1

Herbert Spencer's Pentax work in the 60's

Some of you film camera buffs might appreciate this article and the pictures that go along with with it.

12-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I remember reading his columns away back when. Thanks for the link.
12-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Used to read his stuff all the time in Modern and Popular Photography.

Tom G.
12-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's hard to appreciate images and style that are clichés. It's possible when the images were originally created, as they reflected a new and avant garde style. Today, "artists" take a picture of a texture, throw it into black and white or the newer "IR" or "HDR" and voilà. Art prints. Sure there is a pleasing aesthetic to these images, but the "Artistic treatment" in the above article, complete with dates and references to other "artists", reeks of pretentiousness and puffery.

It reminds me of the food critic of Olive Garden from a few months back and how the review of Olive Garden was laughed at and how some people didn't understand why people were laughing.

If you've ever read reviews of restaurants, written by food critics, you start to see a writing style that is meant for "other" food critics. It's like they try and out do each other on the descriptions of "prepared sirloin, with an enhanced ratio of adipose, carefully placed on a metallic surface, turned at intervals to reveal the opposite surface of the circular shaped delicacy".

Yeah, we are talking about a hamburger patty.

I am always cautious when I read about an "artist" and being told what is great about their work.
In the article above, they talk about the man displaying other works that influenced him along side his work. How wrong is that? Kinda like attempting to have other's work validate your own.

In the music world, they call that sampling, and there is a time limit, after which they call it - stealing.

Art from an artist should stand on it's own without need for referencing other artists or showing other artist's work in a context of your own.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 12-13-2012 at 12:35 PM.
12-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
. . . . . reeks of pretentiousness and puffery. . . .
Stop sitting on the fence Lauren - you should just say what you mean . . . . although uneducated in such matters, I think I know what you mean thanks to the hamburger patty analogy - I'm a big fan of 'plain speaking' - saying more by talking less.

(And a belated happy birthday to you too)
12-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by garythesnail Quote
Stop sitting on the fence Lauren - you should just say what you mean . . . . although uneducated in such matters, I think I know what you mean thanks to the hamburger patty analogy - I'm a big fan of 'plain speaking' - saying more by talking less.

(And a belated happy birthday to you too)
I thought about deleting my post above. It wasn't kind in the least, and I'm sure to attract some flames for it. I'll stand ready or be ignored. Either way.

As for my birthday?

Thanks! The only way my birthday could have been better would have been to have celebrated it in the UK - England, Scotland, Wales - anyplace over there!

I so miss it already.