Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2008, 09:18 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Just got my K2 from package, got it from evilbay. Wow it is heavy really built like a tank, mine's timer lever looks like having touble.. but other than that everything look good. Come with a 135mm f2.8 and 50mm f2 lens, I don't even know that the old lens are that heavy :P I put them in my K10D and i feel the heavy is much heavier then my K10D... Anyways will post picture later. Thanks you guys for the help,

03-04-2008, 09:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just finished shooting with it, going to develop the film in the weekend looking forward to see how the photo turn out.

Last edited by vizjerei; 07-29-2008 at 08:06 PM.
03-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Finally I got the film scanned hehe, here some of the first photos I took with my K2.

03-30-2008, 11:40 AM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
The only gripe I've heard about them is that it is difficult to use the film speed collar around the lens mount.
Oh, that's notorious. Why I gave up on mine - that, and I have an ME Super...

03-31-2008, 01:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
But you only set it once per roll, right? unless you want to change its metering that much?

But I do agree that changing the ISO/ASA is a 2 hands job for sure.. :ugh:
03-31-2008, 09:27 PM   #21
Inactive Account

No, the fun part is if you get one which is jammed in such a way that you can only twist it to higher film speeds, and the EV dial moves with it.

So you end up shooting everything at, say, ISO 640, with the EV up two stops as well...

Try getting the lab to process Velvia fifty shot like that.

Not Pentax's smartest idea.
04-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #22
Site Supporter

The film speed selector is indeed this models weak point.
But since Eric Hendrickson serviced mine it works well.

Chris
04-01-2008, 05:59 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eric

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The film speed selector is indeed this models weak point.
But since Eric Hendrickson serviced mine it works well.

Chris
Everything I own (except the K10D - duh) including a fair number of lenses works better since Eric fixed it - including the K2 I let go in 2005 (kept the KX for "whatever" reason).

04-02-2008, 07:02 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe I should always keep my K2 clean since mine doesn't have problem yet..
04-02-2008, 07:24 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
No, the fun part is if you get one which is jammed in such a way that you can only twist it to higher film speeds, and the EV dial moves with it.

The film speed dial is why I was able to pick up my K2 for only $20. I think it was stuck somewhere around ASA 200, if I remember right. I just sat around messing with the dial until I was eventually able to get it down to ASA 50. That was great because I was shooting Velvia. I never tried to move the ASA dial again and my K2 worked great for the next 10-15 years.
04-02-2008, 08:21 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

From experience: It's something like 30,000 mile maintenance on a Honda Accord. If you do it, you'll have 5 or 6 opportunities to do it. If you don't . . .

About the time the mirror bumpers give out and the light seals break down, the lubricant between the ASA ring and the body dries out - no matter what you do.

The permanent solution is to have a CLA by a competent Pentax technician when you need it for the other stuff that goes bad, and be sure to have the ASA ring lubricated.

Then you're good for another 30,000 miles.
04-09-2008, 07:41 AM   #27

I had a K2 from the mid-1980s 'forgotten' by a friend in his closet (I lent it to him--I had my MXs to keep me happy) when it came back to me something messed up the electronics that it no longer function apart from the 1/125 & B. 'Unrepairable'--so local repair people said; so it sat in a box since.

About a year ago (March 2007), while surfing through KEH, there was this K2 in EX condition with a 'missing ASA tab' going for over $70. My broken K2 had an ASA tab so I gave it some hard thought--but not. Six or so months later, dropping into KEH again, it was still there but marked down to over $50. Hmmm...but no.

Early this year (about February), it was marked down to about $30 or so--I bought it. When it arrived I thought I would be performing some transplant moving the ASA tab from my broken K2. Turns out all that was missing was the PLASTIC tab and it actually looked aesthetically more pleasing to have a bare metal ASA tab which equally worked anyway--so why fix it if it ain't broke?