Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2008, 08:40 PM   #1

Pentax K2 model that never existed?

In 1976 I bought a Pentax K2 black body camera from the Audio/Photo club at an air base in Germany. It was the best camera I ever had, unfortunately it was stolen years ago. But here is my question. "This" particular Pentax K2 was more like a K1000 or spotmatic because it had the same needle light meter, you just had to get the needle in the middle (Not the blue flag on most k2), also the ASA setting was like a K1000 or spotmatic because you set it on top where the shutter speed dial is, not on a ring around the lens. I cannot find this type of K2 anywhere. Was this a special edition or something. I tried google on K2, but none are like the K2 I had. This is really bothering me because Everything tells me this particular model never existed. But I am certain, it was a K2.

Thanks

02-13-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sure it wasn't a KX or KM?

KX

KM
02-13-2008, 08:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not the KX, it has a blue needle to match.
02-13-2008, 11:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gregt Quote
In 1976 I bought a Pentax K2 black body camera from the Audio/Photo club at an air base in Germany. It was the best camera I ever had, unfortunately it was stolen years ago. But here is my question. "This" particular Pentax K2 was more like a K1000 or spotmatic because it had the same needle light meter, you just had to get the needle in the middle (Not the blue flag on most k2), also the ASA setting was like a K1000 or spotmatic because you set it on top where the shutter speed dial is, not on a ring around the lens. I cannot find this type of K2 anywhere. Was this a special edition or something. I tried google on K2, but none are like the K2 I had. This is really bothering me because Everything tells me this particular model never existed. But I am certain, it was a K2.

Thanks
I think your memory is playing tricks on you. I think you are describing the KM. I bought a K2 as soon as they came out, and it was very 'k2ish' the ASA was set with an impossible to adjust ring behind the lens mount---as was was the exposre bias.

I selected the K2 out of the 3 when they came out because it was the only one that had
a fully automatic coupled lightmeter option. One system worked like the spotamatic where you moved the needle to the middle, and I believe ethe KX worked like the K2 in manual mode, but didn't have the auto mode though I never owned a KM or KX.

02-14-2008, 04:27 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
I think your memory is playing tricks on you. I think you are describing the KM. I bought a K2 as soon as they came out, and it was very 'k2ish' the ASA was set with an impossible to adjust ring behind the lens mount---as was was the exposre bias.

I selected the K2 out of the 3 when they came out because it was the only one that had
a fully automatic coupled lightmeter option. One system worked like the spotamatic where you moved the needle to the middle, and I believe ethe KX worked like the K2 in manual mode, but didn't have the auto mode though I never owned a KM or KX.
My much lamented KX had a periscope above the prism to display the f/stop set on the lens, a blue needle that showed me what shutter speed I had set and a black needle that the camera's light meter used to display the recommended exposure.
02-14-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
Forum Member

Did you buy it new or used? The K2 top plate appears dimensionally the same as the KM and K1000 (although it has different screw holes, plus the battery test button and the PC sockets); is it possible a repairman replaced the top plate on one of those with a K2 top plate he had laying around?
02-14-2008, 06:51 PM   #7

Original Poster
I bought it brand new. I had it for about 6 years and I'm pretty certain it was a K2. Probably a good thing I'm not a Gambling man, otherwise I would bet the farm it was a K2. The KM does describe it pretty well though. I guess the only way to know for sure is to ask the company. I do appreciate everyone's replies though. BTW I was stationed in Holland at the time. I still have lots of pics from the tulip farms and windmills.

Thanks
02-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Probably a good thing I'm not a Gambling man, otherwise I would bet the farm it was a K2.
Bet the farm! It will reveal the thief as he has the only one which ever existed

02-15-2008, 07:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Your description sounds like that of a Pentax KM.
The K1000 is a KM without self-timer and DOF preview.

Chris
02-15-2008, 09:25 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
My much lamented KX had a periscope above the prism to display the f/stop set on the lens, a blue needle that showed me what shutter speed I had set and a black needle that the camera's light meter used to display the recommended exposure.
Extremely similar to the K2, except the K2 had one more thing---an 'Automatic' position on the
shutter speed dial IN Auto, the blue flag went clear to the top out of the way, and the black needle was coupled, so the reccommended exposure 'happened'.
02-16-2008, 10:35 PM   #11

I could be way off base here but wasn’t there a Sears KS camera that could fit the bill of the description also? KS…K2 not a far stretch?
02-17-2008, 10:31 AM   #12

Thanks
The K2 was the top of the line K camera. It was an aperture priority automatic exposure camera (with full manual override unlike the later ME) where you can set the shutter speed dial to A, and let the camera choose the shutter speed based on the aperture you have set. Was your camera an automatic exposure camera? That should answer the question of whether it was the K2 or not.

The KM and KX were introduced along with the K2. The KX is basically a larger, heavier MX, with aperture readout in the viewfinder. The KM is a basic no thrills camera, fully manual exposure control and no readout of the aperture setting in the viewfinder.