Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Talk About Immaculate....

I just got that KX kit? It looks like the guy who had it never used it but once in his life. The camera and lenses look near factory. Tiny bit of brassing on the camera in places that look like he had it in a case the whole time. Unbelievable. From all the paperwork I see he must have had an ME Super as well because all the paperwork for that is in the bag along with the paperwork for most of the lenses, the flashes, et all. There's even a CLA estimate for the ME Super and the receipts for the lenses and the cameras are in the bag.

There's desiccant packs galore and there were several straps not just one. Two of the plastic ones from Pentax and two hippie straps. One yellow green and red like the one that came with my GAF and another rainbow weave type one. Both of them are nearly brand new. Oh, and I really loved this there were two body caps and two extra sets of front and back caps and every lens still had it's caps as well. There was even a thing of batteries and the full Pentax lens guide with color pics which is looking like it's going to be a fun read. There's also an ME Super guide for what it's worth. But unfortunately no KX guide like I was hoping. Thought the lens guide was that manual but unfortunately not. I guess I'll have to make do with my pdf version yet on that score.

I tried the shutter, works fine. Haven't tried the meter as yet but I'm betting from the looks of it that there won't be any problems there. This camera is practically new. The light seals, perfect. One of the zooms the Albinar has a little bit of dust but otherwise they're very, very clean. There are also several sets of leather lug rings and the camera still has some protectors as well. The only thing that's missing are the hotshoe cap and the lugs that go in the jacks. There is a hotshoe cap in there but it must be from the ME because it doesn't fit the KX. The bag? I don't know the maker but it's top notch and it's super clean. I'm going to vac it anyway but I doubt there will be problems there. I won't store the lenses and that in it. I'm too leery of going there these days even with desiccant inside, but it will be a great bag for other gear.

My $85 was very well spent indeed! I just love when that happens when I grab a kit of gear only to find that the person who owned it and donated it just totally babied it or maybe hardly used it. It's like I'm getting a brand new kit of retro gear myself. This kit with the receipts for the cameras in there. I even know who owned it and where and what he paid for it and his lenses. There's a lens and focus guide and all sorts of other interesting stuff to read. The guy was totally anal about keeping his documentation and his gear clean and I just love that.

So now I have a pair of nearly immaculate black KX's. Sweet!!!!!! I'm going to play with the Viv 28mm a bit on the Pen tonight though. I really want to see how it works on that before I put it all in a dry box. It will be a few days before I can take this camera out and put it through it's paces. It's likely raining all week here and I'm not quite up to running around outside besides but I will sometime soon. I really want to take both KX's out to shoot for a few. Pics later. I'll probably take some with the Oly...

12-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats!
Sounds like you scored.

Post some photos of it
12-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 nice find and yes do post some photos!

Phil.
12-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Congratulations on your haul.

12-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The Spottie kit with the Taks and the 400mm Viv got here today, again a day early. You can tell someone used the Spottie. There's a bit of scratching on the top of the camera and the battery cover is a bit ragged but otherwise it's in lovely condition. Pads et all look good and the camera looks to function though I haven't checked the meter as yet. No lens fungus that I can see. The Taks are very clear, very clean and the Viv is the T4 version. It's totally clean inside and out. Other than a bit of a paint scratch around the tripod jack from it actually being on a Tripod it looks brand new! Lens shades both of them look barely used and the square one even has a case. The strap is very similar to my favorite one but not exactly the same. The hooks are much nicer, solid and well crafted. It's going to take me a while to master that Viv. It looks a bit tricky but it also looks very decent. Alas it will not fit into a 50 size ammo/O-seal box. I'm going to have to figure out something else for that one. I'm not losing this lens. I like it already. :P Pics of both sets later. I wanted to wait for this one before I went there but I will shortly here. These kits they're both to die for though. Absolutely lovely stuff in excellent shape it looks like...
12-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good find. Hope it serves you well.
12-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
he battery cover is a bit ragged
That is pretty much the norm. I asked my local vintage camera dealer/repair guy about a replacement and he just laughed. From what I understand, the covers were designed to work with a small Japanese coin that has no convenient U.S. equivalent. As a result, most of the covers have mangled slots.

Steve