Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #16

Minolta Hi-Matic AF2. This is a bombproof P&S with the original Honeywell infrared autofocus system. This early model has manual film transport. The 35mm lens is very sharp. There were several other similar cameras from other manufacturers built around the same Honeywell autofocus system and lens.

12-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guy I used to work with gave me his old Pentax Espio 150SL last week as he knows I collect Pentax gear. I have not used it yet but had seen pictures he took with it and they’re very good.

Phil.
12-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used a Kodak Star 35 for a while, couple of different models, that did fairly well, and a Pentax IQ zoom that was very good. Can't remember the model #, and it's packed away in a box right now, needs batteries before I can finish up the partial roll of film in it. I found oiuyt when I pulled it out and was going to shoot up the last of the roll...been stored for a while and batteries are gone. I got a couple of rolls developed, it did a good job.

The other instamatics I used were all 110 film. One was a Keystone, with a telephoto flip switch, did well enough I got a print of two friends in a band that I blew up to 8x10 and gave them for Christmas presents. That's a film frame half the size of a postage stamp, and good enough for a nice 8x10. Pretty impressive...

All the other instamatics I've sued were pretty much crap...kodak Brownies, 126 instamatics, I've had a dozen of them, t
12-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In film, I always enjoyed my Olympus Stylus, good shots, very convenient, good to keep from dragging around my Canon F-1 which weighed a ton (actually it still weighs a ton, but I do not use it any more). Image quality was great with the fixed zoom lens. The zoom lens let you get most of the shots you wanted without doing my Pentax prime lens dance -- backup and sight, backup and sight, backup and uh-oh, at the edge of the room . . . take off the 77 mm and put on the 50mm.

In digital, I still have and enjoy a Canon G-12. It is still, I guess, classified as a point-and-shoot if you put the controls on Green Mode and just shoot away. The G-12 also has all the regular shooting modes of an SLR, plus a nice reticulating viewing screen along with a hot shoe to get a little extra light on the subject. You cannot exactly put it in your pocket, unless maybe you are coming out of the cold in a greatcoat. Shooting convenience is treat with the G-12, and image quality is generally quite acceptable so long as you don't start comparing shooting results to those from your K-5 with the 77 mm limited lens. The G-12 is a great party camera for crowded rooms where you are trying to get a wide variety of different shots and cannot more around too freely because of the crowds, and of course for these kinds of event image quality is not the number one priority (assuming you are not the hired photographer!).