Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2019, 07:44 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Olympus Stylus Epic aka mju II is very capable but has its foibles.
I gave mine away but kept my original Stylus mju I with 35/3.5 lens.

Chris

04-01-2019, 08:08 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Olympus Stylus Epic aka mju II is very capable but has its foibles.
I gave mine away but kept my original Stylus mju I with 35/3.5 lens.

Chris
The original variant was the first compact camera I ever saw that passed the ‘drunk test’

I was working for a large American camera chain at the time, and the lab people had a saying that if you give a drunk person a camera, they will invariably try to take their own picture.

Before the Stylus/Mju, those pictures would be overexposed from flash (or underexposed since most of these would be taken indoors), out of focus, and have the head mostly cut off.

The Stylus/Mju was the first camera I ever saw that would nail the focus with a sharp lens (that guy should have shaved this morning) and do perfect exposure at <1m. Really nice results.

Of course it did nothing for the subject matter, and the heads were still generally cut off...

But still, impressive pictures for the era. Especially for the price ($100 at the time)

-Eric
04-14-2019, 06:19 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had and often used an Olympus Stylus Epic years ago. Amazing little camera! Accurate focus and exposure almost every time. The lens was amazing too.
04-14-2019, 06:54 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Olympus Trip.

04-19-2019, 06:52 PM   #35
Forum Member

While not quite a point and shoot I have a German Rollie 35 with a 40mm Tessar lens. It small but solid though a bit heavy. Down side is focus is scale focus and the meter battery was the mercury cell. I use a zinc-air replacement, which work but are short lived. There is a planar version out there, but the Tessar is still a great lens stopped down ..by f/8 is as good as any lens. I picked up my Rollei 35 in a junk bin for $25 and I was able to fix it and find parts. It had a plastic coupling gear between the metal wind gear that stripped (metal on plastic...who'd a thunk) but I was able to find a brass replacement gear and it's worked fine ever since.