Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ME disaster :(

I've been slowly working my way through a $7.00 roll of Ilford FP4 Plus with my No.2 ME w/winder. I have about 6 frames left, but today I brought the camera in from the car, set it on the counter and noticed the back had somehow opened
Maybe the back hooked on something that I didn't notice. My sister had an ME Super years ago that had a slightly bent back and it would pop open on her but my ME is perfect and I've had it for years, never been dropped, so I can't explain it
I'm pretty sure the entire roll is ruined, not sure I want to spend $7.50 on developing a ruined roll.

12-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh, reading the title I thought it was more than a $7 disaster Not sure how light hit the film, but say pictures 1-20 may still be usable, with some luck. And of course the unshot 30-36 should also be fine. However it's your call if you decide to spend the $7 to see what's remained of your pictures
12-15-2012, 05:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I opened my ME Super a couple of weeks ago to load up with some film and found to my horror that there was a roll of Neopan 1600 already in there I quicky shut the back again and I will shoot off the remainder of the film. I can't remember loading the film or how many shots I had taken on the roll (the counter reset when the back was opened). I hope that some of the frames that had already been exposed might still be ok if the film was tightly rolled. The annoying thing is that it is my last roll of Neopan 1600 and its now out of production
12-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I opened the back of the camera once after finishing a roll, but before I rewinding. It only ruined the last 2 shots.

Phil.

12-16-2012, 12:56 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
We've all done it, I'm sure... I know I have. I say develop the roll and you most likely only lost a couple frames. Not sure where you develop, but maybe mention the situation and they might discount if there is significant light damage. Worth a try! I say bring it in and hope for the best!
12-16-2012, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

The unexposed film remaining in the film cannister will be okay and much of the exposed film on the take-up spool will be mildy fogged if even that. The lemonade-from-lemons approach here would be to think of the two or three affected frames as being experimental veiling flare shots. Or you've performed your burning in-camera instead of in the darkroom. Might as well see what you get.

I've mistakenly opened a camera with loaded film inside only a couple of times over the years but it was enough to train me to check the rewind knob for tension before opening a camera I haven't used for some time. Gaffer tape, maybe, for confidence with a camera back that opens on its own?
12-16-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Cheer up, fogging some film will probably be on Instagram in a few! You are probably ahead of the curve! It will be the new aesthetic!
12-18-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I think I'll finish the roll and get it developed.
We'll see whats lefts.