Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Got an SF1 today, and it will not load film! Help please?

I bought an entire Pentax kit that someone had sitting around for years today, and one of the things was a Pentax SF1 camera. I got a new battery for it, and I got some film for it. I found out it has a problem though. I load the film into it and it will not pull it along and advance it! I can hear the motor run, but well, here's a video of it. Any ideas?

http://www.scottyspot.com/collection/messedup.mp4

I bought a few rolls of film so I can five film SLR photography a try. I hope I'll be able to do it!

12-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I bought an entire Pentax kit that someone had sitting around for years today, and one of the things was a Pentax SF1 camera. I got a new battery for it, and I got some film for it. I found out it has a problem though. I load the film into it and it will not pull it along and advance it! I can hear the motor run, but well, here's a video of it. Any ideas?

http://www.scottyspot.com/collection/messedup.mp4

I bought a few rolls of film so I can five film SLR photography a try. I hope I'll be able to do it!
The video is downloading, so I will take a look at it in a moment, but 90% of the time the reason this happens is that you're putting the film in incorrectly, or that something is misaligned.

Edit: I would try pulling the film a bit farther forward.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I did it, and still have the same thing happen. The battery is brand new. I tried putting the film farther forward too to no avail. I have another video of what it is doing, but with the film removed. It's also much shorter.

http://www.scottyspot.com/collection/messup2.m2t

Last edited by VoiceOfReason; 12-14-2012 at 07:20 PM.
12-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Anyone have any ideas? The camera also doesn't seem to shut off unless the battery is removed.

12-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't know enough about the SF1 to be helpful, but you could try writing to Eric Hendrickson. Home He might know something about it and he may be able to repair it.
FWIW, the SF1 is a great camera but unfortunately they hold very little value. I'm pretty sure you could by a very nice working example for much less than the cost of repairs.
12-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Looks like film isn't something I'm going to be messing with. I'll probably go ahead and list it with the flash it came with, the 35mm f/2.8 that the aperture seems to be working on now, and the 2 filters that were on that lens. I guess I need to stick with the K5.
12-21-2012, 07:37 AM   #7

Why on earth would anyone spend good money on a camera that requires batteries to operate?

12-22-2012, 06:39 AM   #8

First thing I would check is to make sure the rewind switch isn't stuck in the rewind position. I just looked at mine with the back open, the take up spool should turn when fired, I then held the rewind switch and the sprockets and take up spool freewheeled like they are supposed to. I hope this helps.