Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
I just noticed from specs that P3N viewfinder is even smaller than k-x (DSLR) which I wish was little bigger & brighter. So just wondering how good P3N would be for manual focus.
VF sizes are given with respect to the sensor size. The VF of the P30 series cameras is MUCH larger and brighter in real terms than that of any APS-C camera.

As for the limitation of DX coding, it's really, really easy to get around. Paper, tin-foil and glue will allow you to make your own DX-code slips to put over existing ones and the problem is solved.

12-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I remember at college we used P30s or something similar, and the technician used to put Dx coding stickers on the film cartridges after loading them. I didn't know you could make them, Blue-Peter fashion!
12-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
I didn't know you could make them, Blue-Peter fashion!
The spec is published (LINK & LINK). Any hack would consist of creating a readable surface on the canister that corresponds to the code you want. How about etching a pattern using flexible circuit material? Or maybe just strip the paint off the appropriate part of the canister and use non-conductive tape to make the pattern? Or maybe inkjet print to conductive foil label stock...

Hint: Google "DX Coded Film Labels"

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-23-2012 at 03:51 PM.
12-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Got it, thanks for clarifying.

Just bought a Super A with M50/1.7 and I can confirm that viewfinder is larger and much better than my k-x
Seems like finding a good source of negatives and to get it developed is getting more and more difficult. Quickly shot a role of cheap kodak supercolor 100 and got it processed in a local lab - colors in most pics turned out to be muddy and patchy. Good part is that all shots were in focus compared to my k-x, I just loved shooting with Super-A's viewfinder. Here is one shot, hope you like it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/209639-people-street-shot-film.html

12-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #50

Photos: Albums
I've recently started developing my own photos. It isn't that difficult, even for color film, as long as the film itself is a C41 process type. (Ex: Fuji Superia, Ilford XP2, many others).

Here are some links I have found really, really useful:

C41 Color Processing for Dummies
Home Processing of C-41 Color Negative Film ? defocus·blog
Developing C-41 Color Negative Film | pixelogist.me

You'll find they say the same things, more or less, but that's part of the charm: it really helped me get over the idea developing at home is something really eldritch.

Printing, of course, is a separate matter, but many people (myself included) scan the negatives, process them in Photoshop, Gimp, or any other one of a bunch of programs.

10 Excellent Open Source and Free Alternatives to Photoshop
12-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #51
Site Supporter

Yusuf, the OP, has bought a camera. I'm surprised no one mentioned the SFX (SF1 in the USA). It will shoot manual and, if needs be, Single (AF-S) and Servo (AF-C).

It's been my film camera since I replaced my Spotmatic in 1989. Was/is it that bad?
12-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #52

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
It's been my film camera since I replaced my Spotmatic in 1989. Was/is it that bad?
I think it hasn't been mentioned because Yusuf wanted a manual-focus camera. I've never used any of the Pentax auto-focusing cameras, so I'm not in a position to say anything about the SFX.
12-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #53
Site Supporter

There's an SFX (SF1) in the Markets for $20. How depressing how values have fallen.

01-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #54

The problem with the ProgramPlus and SuperProgram is the trend towards the electronics flaking out. This has been my experience with one of each.

The MX viewfinder is very high magnification, although that comes at the cost of eye relief, and perhaps brightness. I also wish the shutter dial was easier to turn. Given a CLA, an MX should last for ages.

The most amazing Pentax viewfinder has to be the LX, but it's pricey to buy, and somewhat maintenance-prone. It pushed my MX to the side.