Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Film camera purely for Manual Focus

I am looking to buy a Film camera purely for using with manual focus lenses (or AF lenses in MF mode). So the requirements are

- Good viewfinder
- Focusing screen
- K mount

This will be used for fund and I am not looking for any expensive options like LX - What are your suggestions?

Thanks

12-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The smallest manual 35mm SLR - the MX, also happens to have the largest viewfinder. It makes nailing critical focus with an f1.2 lens easy. If you want aperture priority, then check out the ME Super which is equally small and also with a huge viewfinder.
12-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
The smallest manual 35mm SLR - the MX, also happens to have the largest viewfinder. It makes nailing critical focus with an f1.2 lens easy. If you want aperture priority, then check out the ME Super which is equally small and also with a huge viewfinder.
That's a good input. Yes, 99% of time shoot aperture priority so would prefer that. Doesn't MX has Av?

Yusuf
12-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #4

Don't think DA lens will work correctly on the older film cameras.Someone correct me if this is wrong.

12-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If you should at times wish to shoot with a no-aperture-ring lens, either of the Program cameras are great - you can shoot in Program.

MX is all manual metering.

ME Super and the two Program cameras do AV simply by selecting the aperture on the lens.
12-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter

No, the MX is awesome (I'm still wondering if I like it better than the LX) but it's real old school, only M mode. Completely manual and mechanical (can run without batteries too!)
ME Super is very a good compromise allowing for Av and keeping the smaller size and all metal construction. For a bigger body and similar vintage experience (with Av) you might also consider the K2, but it's far less common. Then there are the "newer" bodies, A3, Super Program etc. Check out the camera database here!
And have fun!
Victor
12-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter

The ME super is a great choice. These are good little cameras and are not very expensive. If you wanted AV only with an exposure comp dial you could go with an ME.
As with any camera this old you may want to have it serviced.
12-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
I am looking to buy a Film camera purely for using with manual focus lenses (or AF lenses in MF mode). So the requirements are

- Good viewfinder
- Focusing screen
- K mount

This will be used for fund and I am not looking for any expensive options like LX - What are your suggestions?

Thanks
I'd say go with the super A, as it gives you the flexibility of shooting in any mode.

The MX's VF is too large IMO, the ME super is fine but doesn't offer auto aperture.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The MX's VF is too large IMO . . .
I am assuming this is due to wearing glasses?

For those who don't wear glasses, the huge viewfinder is the best.
Also, the MX has changeable focusing screens and shares this with the LX. The LX screens are typically a bit brighter too.
12-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I am assuming this is due to wearing glasses?

For those who don't wear glasses, the huge viewfinder is the best.
Also, the MX has changeable focusing screens and shares this with the LX. The LX screens are typically a bit brighter too.
No, I don't wear glasses, but it's straining to look at the corners for prolonged periods, at least for me. IMO the MX goes overboard, the ME's VF is about right though. The super A's is a bit smaller, but I don't mind it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
Pentaxian

No doubt it is a personal preference. I am just glad that Pentax as a lineup - starting with the original AP, opted to provide huge magnifications especially compared to other brands.
12-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #12
Pentaxian

If your lenses have an aperture ring I'll add my vote to the MX. If you plan on using lenses without an aperture ring, go for the Super Program/Super A. The Super Program is the first Pentax camera allowing the use of A-series lenses and newer lenses with an A setting on the aperture ring, or no aperture ring at all.

Both are great cameras.
12-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemock Quote
The ME super is a great choice. These are good little cameras and are not very expensive. If you wanted AV only with an exposure comp dial you could go with an ME.
As with any camera this old you may want to have it serviced.
I'd actually suggest an ME Super any day.

The ME is a great camera, and I love mine. But the ME super and the ME are pretty much the same price, so you may as well get the ME and have the option on manual shutter speed if needed/wanted
12-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd say go with the super A, as it gives you the flexibility of shooting in any mode.

The MX's VF is too large IMO, the ME super is fine but doesn't offer auto aperture.
+1 on all but the MX's VF being too large. What's wrong with you, Adam?
12-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Why not go newer and get a PZ1. You can use it in full manual but also for AF and with DA lenses, except HSM