Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PENTAX SF1N camera data back?

Hi,

I recently got a SF1N camera from a box of PENTAX glasses.
The camera is in good working condition. I was lucky that it come with the "optional AA battery grip" so battery is not a problem. It also come with a "data back F" - I cannot find any information on the camera manual and later I realize this is also "optional" accessory for the camera. I was surprise to find out this is an auto focus SLR. it's ugly but it seem to be pretty 'advance' SLR, that you can do shutter priority and aperture priority shooting with it.

So did anyone know what exactly this data back do? Also, what kind of battery this data back use (need to button size batteries)? I plan to use it to shoot couple rolls.

Much thanks,
Lee

12-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The data back will optionally print the time/date on the negative. It uses the coin-size batteries, I believe. It is not necessary that it work to take pictures.

You can find a manual for it at Digital Cameras by PENTAX - Waterproof Digital Camera - Digital SLR. Click on Support and follow the links to get where you want. The data backs are listed under "Camera Accessories" and "MIscellaneous".

The SF1n was, at one time, Pentax's flagship camera. I have its immediate predecessor, the SF1 and I can tell you its built like a tank and works very well. Any Pentax lens should work with it.

As with any Pentax AF camera, watch out for lenses with the dreaded Ricoh pin. This is an extra pin that Ricoh added for some of their cameras. Unfortunately, it can become jammed in the AF drive mechanism of the camera, making it difficult to remove the lens.
12-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Data Back F Accessories Manual :: Photo-Manuals.com
12-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
The data back will optionally print the time/date on the negative. It uses the coin-size batteries, I believe. It is not necessary that it work to take pictures.

You can find a manual for it at Digital Cameras by PENTAX - Waterproof Digital Camera - Digital SLR. Click on Support and follow the links to get where you want. The data backs are listed under "Camera Accessories" and "MIscellaneous".

The SF1n was, at one time, Pentax's flagship camera. I have its immediate predecessor, the SF1 and I can tell you its built like a tank and works very well. Any Pentax lens should work with it.

As with any Pentax AF camera, watch out for lenses with the dreaded Ricoh pin. This is an extra pin that Ricoh added for some of their cameras. Unfortunately, it can become jammed in the AF drive mechanism of the camera, making it difficult to remove the lens.
Thanks! Great to know! I only have PENTAX lenses, so I should be fine.

Thank you! thank you!!

03-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #5

You are right it is a ugly camera, you should give it to me
03-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #6

Ricoh pin

What do you do if it happens ? More important what are you looking for to spot that pin before you mess up a sf1 or sf1n?
10-11-2017, 06:37 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
For anyone contemplating adding the data back to their SF1x, know that the manual above states that it only supports dates thru 2009. They assumed we'd have left film in the dust by 2017...

10-12-2017, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #8

I owned both the SF1 and SF1n in the late 1980's. Far from looking "clunky", they had a very much modern look to them. The controls were very clean, and it took very little reading of the owner's manuals to be proficient out of the box.

The auto focus systems were very advanced, and in fact, were superior to similar Nikon models. Nikon only had the N4004 and N6006 at the time, and the Pentax was miles ahead of them. I bought mine with a couple of Pentax A/F zooms, and added from there. While primitive by today's standards, they brought me a slew of good photographs. As time passed, and the SF1's technology started to seem "old", I traded for the PZ1, both the PZ1 and PZ1n.

The attached photo is the very first I took with the SF1 (35-70mm A/F Pentax). A couple of miles from my home I saw a huge smoke plume which turned out to be a fire at a scrap tire yard. I got there in time to follow the firemen into the area. At the bottom of the photo is a tangle foot of steel belts. I liked the image, and worked with a couple of labs for a good print. This spring I finally scanned the negative, and cropped to fit a 8.5x10 print. No other edits were needed. Titled "Into The Smoke".

Last edited by pendennis; 10-12-2017 at 11:27 AM. Reason: caption the photo