Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by garythesnail Quote
That's how it starts!
I crossed the "starts" line long, long time ago ... I have about 20 film cameras in my collection ... and more to come I am sure.
Currently, from Ricoh/Pentax line I have 5 Ricoh cameras and 4 Pentax (film only) ... and I'm currently eye-balling another Ricoh ...

My collection has more of the affordable odd/interesting ducks and tend not to adventure in the very expensive territories ...

01-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #32

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I crossed the "starts" line long, long time ago
Same here...I had a good collection all by myself and a good buddy's dad died suddenly a few years ago. The friend just last month found out I was still shooting film, and gave me his dad's collection. I couldn't have received a better Christmas gift, as he was the guy who taught me all about photography.

It comprises of ME Super & SuperProgram bodies, various zooms, prime lenses, flashes, filters and a few cool special effect filters along with non-Pentax 35mm point and shoot cameras as well. Only proviso was that I never sell them.

This adds to my collection of a K1000 ("borrowed" by my nephew's friend for about 4 years), P3n, Program+ and a similar arsenal of lenses - mostly just zooms so I'm pleased with the new additions.

I didn't set out to be a collector of cameras, but it sure turned out that way!
01-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry to hear about your mentor, but it sure nice to get a Christmas gift like that .
01-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
After using it for a long while I will confidently say that the Super Program (not the program plus) stomps all over any other 35mm film camera except the LX, and even then its only because of the LX's light meter, the S.P. is actually a more capable camera than the LX for other features.

Look in the reviews at all the technical details for all involved.

The Super Programs view finder is a freaking sunny day through a bay window compared to most other stuff.

The little film pocket on the back is incorporated into the rear grip and when combined with the front grip allows you to easily hold the camera one handed and even depress the shutter that way which is pretty hard to do with many others.

Super Program + Pentax A35-105 F3.5 would cover 90% of your film photography perfectly. You can also get a Pentax 280T ttl flash that works perfect with it for dirt cheap.

01-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Super Program (not the program plus) stomps all over any other 35mm film camera except the LX,
Glad you like your Super Program! It is has a decent feature set to be sure, but I have to be honest with you, mine sits on the shelf most of the time. Maybe it is because I typically don't use the P and Sv modes and don't do much flash work, TTL or otherwise. I can't say for sure. I even like the way it fits the hand and handles, but it is a wallflower, none-the-less.

Having confessed my lack of resonance with the Super Program, you can take the following comment for what its worth. I can definitely compile a fairly long list of 35mm film SLRs that are similarly or better featured with equal or better build and utility. Don't get me wrong, it is a decent camera and represents a high point for value for electronic Pentax SLRs and I would recommend it for anyone considering purchase, though I would not go further than that. To be concise, it does not "stomp" on any of its shelf-mates...not even close.

Steve
01-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #36

I have both an ME Super and a Program Plus (and the inherited Super Program as mentioned before) and I like to do metered manual fairly often, so I find that that feature in these cameras is a bit clunky...pressing buttons etc. Not arguing with anyone's opinion, just my 2 cents.

It's an unpopular choice, but I like my P3n (the sort-of replacement to the Program Plus) because it has manual modes I can see, and I'm not doing a lot of TTL flash, or pushing the ASA value either. And it can take a few knocks and not look worse for wear with the coating it has on it.
01-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #37
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So, I end up getting the ME Super.
It came with the winder and a Sears 2.0 50mm lens.

Anyone know who could do it and how much might cost?

Thanks!
I sent my Spotmatic
01-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #38
Veteran Member

If you're using exposure compensation, I find the plastic dial on the Program Plus / Super Program much easier to grip & operate than the too-thin-and-stiff dials on all the ME/ME Supers I've held.

Also, I don't particularly care for the way the manual mode metering is indicated in the ME Super viewfinder -- you can't see how many stops above/under you are -- it just has a pair of LED's to indicate over/under, so you have to go to 0 then count steps. Most of Pentax's other models that include a manual mode have some way of seeing just how far off from zero you are.

The grips on the A and P-series cameras are a bit more comfortable as well, though if you're sticking to small lenses, this doesn't matter so much.

The Super Program also adds a top-panel shutter speed LCD that the Program Plus and ME Super lack.

The electronic self-timers on the A and P series are a lot more reliable than the cranky old mechanical self timers on cameras that are now over 30 years old.

The A series (Super Program, Program Plus) have a slightly wider meter coupling range (includes ISO 3200) while the M and P series only went to 1600. Oddly enough the KX and K2 could handle 6400.

01-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mike7fa Quote
I sent my Spotmatic
Where did you sent it?
I've sent the ME to Eric ... and I guess expecting to be shipped back sometime next week.

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
If you're using exposure compensation, I find the plastic dial on the Program Plus / Super Program much easier to grip & operate than the too-thin-and-stiff dials on all the ME/ME Supers I've held.

Also, I don't particularly care for the way the manual mode metering is indicated in the ME Super viewfinder -- you can't see how many stops above/under you are -- it just has a pair of LED's to indicate over/under, so you have to go to 0 then count steps. Most of Pentax's other models that include a manual mode have some way of seeing just how far off from zero you are.

The grips on the A and P-series cameras are a bit more comfortable as well, though if you're sticking to small lenses, this doesn't matter so much.

The Super Program also adds a top-panel shutter speed LCD that the Program Plus and ME Super lack.

The electronic self-timers on the A and P series are a lot more reliable than the cranky old mechanical self timers on cameras that are now over 30 years old.

The A series (Super Program, Program Plus) have a slightly wider meter coupling range (includes ISO 3200) while the M and P series only went to 1600. Oddly enough the KX and K2 could handle 6400.
Thanks for the added information!
01-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #40
Site Supporter

So, I end up getting the ME Super.
It came with the winder and a Sears 2.0 50mm lens.

Everything is almost in mint condition except that darn foam that the mirror hits it. Mirror gets stuck on it ... so I guess I will have to service it.

Anyone know who could do it and how much might cost?

Thanks!
Eric did a CLA and replaced the foam on my Spotmatic F, and returned it to me in Toronto within 3 weeks. Email him for shipping instructions and a quote.
PM me if you need contact info
01-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Where did you sent it?
I've sent the ME to Eric ... and I guess expecting to be shipped back sometime next week.
QuoteOriginally posted by mike7fa Quote
Eric did a CLA and replaced the foam on my Spotmatic F, and returned it to me in Toronto within 3 weeks. Email him for shipping instructions and a quote.
PM me if you need contact info
See above
01-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Baby got back from the LCA.
Everything works like butter - can't wait to test a new roll.