Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax MX mirror lockup lever mod?

Note the question mark.

The DIY mirror-lockup by flicking the shutter button has been discussed a thousand times. My post is not about that. I can make my MX do it without fail, but as I understand it, the ability of a given MX to do MLU depends on the exact angle at which the upper half of the shutter actuating assembly has been screwed tight. This clearly makes the finger-flick an unsatisfactory universal method.

What I am wondering about is whether anyone has ever gone to the trouble of MODIFYING an MX to add a mirror lockup lever/crank, something like the one on a KX.

And if that's been done, I'm wondering whether the tinkerer would be willing to share their knowledge and insights.

12-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asaru Quote
something like the one on a KX.
Now that would be a trick. The KX mechanism is pretty complicated and involves dual-purposing the DOF preview button.

Steve
12-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
It seems that the Spottie has been modified to support lockup by attaching a selftimer-type crank to something on the opposite, RIGHT side of the camera.

I wondered if something similar has been done on the MX -- without necessarily overloading any existing external controls further.

(Of course the MX is not the Spottie, much less so than the K-series cameras. In any case the MX shutter actuation rods are on the LEFT side of the camera, right by the self-timer.)
12-24-2012, 05:53 AM   #4
Giveaway winner!

I've found that all of my cloth shuttered Pentax bodies will respond to the "Pentax-Flick"... tested on the SV, Sa1, Spotmatic II, KX, KM, K1000, MX.

QuoteOriginally posted by asaru Quote
The DIY mirror-lockup by flicking the shutter button has been discussed a thousand times. My post is not about that. I can make my MX do it without fail, but as I understand it, the ability of a given MX to do MLU depends on the exact angle at which the upper half of the shutter actuating assembly has been screwed tight. This clearly makes the finger-flick an unsatisfactory universal method.
The required action to accomplish having the mirror release first and not the shutter is to have an arm that reaches under the front panel where the timer is at. The rod that fires the shutter is not the same as the what fires the mirror... from above it to fire the mirror. What usually happens is not actually that complicated... I would think a lever could be installed that would perform the same way as by trigger with the OEM internal lever.

12-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #5

Original Poster
My thinking is that since the self-timer lifts the mirror a couple of seconds prior to the shutter firing, perhaps an extra dial placed right around the self-timer, with an inner cog in the appropriate place, could be made to lift the mirror. If space permits, this could even be spring-loaded so that the user would not have to move it back.