Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-27-2012, 03:47 AM   #1

Pentax LX Unwanted Light in shot

Hello. I have the LX and recently and when I take photos and develop them, every now and again- maybe 2 or 3 shots in 24- night or day, inside or out- I am getting what can only be described as a ray of light at the top or side of the shot. It is like a band of light and if I didnt know better I would think that the shot was carelseely taken with a high powered spotlight shining onto the scene which was definetly not the case.

I wondered whether I have a leak ? Or whether I need to block the viewfinder, but thought that the LX didn't require this.

I am assuming that it isnt my chemistry or developing technique but, then again, I am not ruling this out.

I thought that I would put this out there as I am hoping someone recognises the symptoms and can tell me what is happening.

Any advice would be welcomed once again

John

12-27-2012, 04:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It sounds like a light leak! It's more likely to show up when you leave the camera out for a long while. So until you can do a repair, keep the camera out of the light whenever a film is loaded! (Except for taking a shot!)

Replacing the seals can be done with a kit, but with an LX I'd be tempted to get it done professionally. Why not have a clean, lube and adjust done at the same time.
12-27-2012, 05:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

John, I didn't notice your LX post when I mentioned light leaks on your ME Super post. Are these marks on the negs in the same position each time it happens? Don't forget, the image on the film is inverted so if the marks are on the top edge of the negs then the leak is at the bottom of the camera.

On the development side, make sure there is enough developer in the tank to completely cover the reel and personally, I use inversions to agitate rather than the plastic twirl stick (if you are using a patterson tank)
12-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for advice. am half way through a fil and will see what the state of play is when I have developed. And yes, I invert.

John

12-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #5

Original Poster
I may have the answer. I was concerned as the camera was serviced within the last 6 months and so hoped for operator error as opposed to a return to the menders.

When I used the winder I purchased recently, that involved taking out a cap at the bottom of the camera and screwing it into the winder for safe keeping. When I took the winder off later, I didn't put the cap back and there is a big hole right into the bowels of the camera. It may or may not be this but it could well be. I have posted a link to a review where the reviewer highlights this as a potential problem.

I mention all this as it may help other people in due course, if not me.

The reviewer is choeN a Expert from London & KL

and the relavant prose is under "weaknesses"

The link is

Pentax LX Reviews

John
12-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
choeN a Expert from London & KL, Date Reviewed: December 30, 2002 stated . . .
I was just going to respond to the one item regarding motor drive coupling design when I read the rest of the so called expert's responses and found the rest of the comments to be . . .

A more properly framed perspective is comparing it to it's peers - the professional, interchangeable viewfinder class of 1980 include the Nikon F3, Canon F-1N and the Pentax LX.

With regards to the motordrive coupling design, all three require a body cover to be removed under the film cassette. All the same size.
12-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #7

Original Poster
Well hopefully by failing to screw the cap on again after removal I have found my leak?!

John

12-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian

On both of my Pentax LX's, I removed the covers under the film cassette, shined a powerful light into it, fire in bulb mode and looked through the lens mount and cannot see any illumination coming in. This is without a film cassette blocking the light. Perhaps you can do the same and apply the light everywhere looking for a light leak. Given the "high powered spotlight shining onto the scene" you are experiencing, this may be obvious in this test.
12-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #9

Original Poster
I am going to shoot another film with the cap back in place and see what happens.

John
12-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Snapper_UK Quote
Well hopefully by failing to screw the cap on again after removal I have found my leak?!

John
Highly unlikely. With almost all cameras the film chamber and light path are quite nicely isolated from non-light-tight-box sections. I would say all except that my FSU rangefinder cameras have the most amazing way of transmitting light from places like the rangefinder window to the film plane.

Steve
12-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #11

Original Poster
Noted. We shall see.
12-31-2012, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
From the LX Motordrive manual, page 10:

QuoteQuote:
CAUTION: If you attach the motor drive with the film mid-roll, always hold the base of the camera away from sunlight or other bright light sources. Until the unit is fully coupled with the camera, there is a possibility that bright light seeping through the auto rewind coupling could adversely affect exposures. Likewise, when detaching the motor drive mid-roll, avoid direct light and replace the auto rewind coupling cap on the camera immediately.
K.
12-31-2012, 11:19 AM   #13

Original Poster
I am hoping this is what it is ... operator error.. sounds plausible but it would just be too convenient!

John
01-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #14
Giveaway winner!

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapper_UK Quote
...now and again- maybe 2 or 3 shots in 24- night or day, inside or out- I am getting what can only be described as a ray of light at the top or side of the shot. It is like a band of light...
Curious if you could show an example of the issue?

It is possible that light can leak in through the curtain edges due to wrinkles or holes. Consider locking the mirror up and shining a bright light into the mirror chamber at the curtain... with the lens off. Inspect camera film plane, but shroud view to see better. I had long time ago sent my LX body to a so called "camera repair craftsmen" who cheated me on the repair and punctured my curtain and taped it down to hide it. The tear was so small that it is very hard to see without a high-powered magnifier. Long story short is that when the two sided tape fell off, I started to have random burned pictures day or night depending on how long the lens cap was off or duration of light between shots.
01-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #15

Original Poster
I am sending Camera for a CLA for this and other issues then hopefully after spending £120 I can relax!

John