Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #1

Pentax LX shutter problem and batteries.

I wonder if anyone can advise with regard to another pentax LX problem I am having.

If I shoot with fresh batteries in manual mode 4 seconds shutter speed is 4 seconds. However, if I do it in Automatic it seems always longer, perhaps 6 or 7 seconds. I wondered whether this was actual not a fault but something to do with OFT although the shots were taken under controlled circumstances and I dont think that the light was changing.

I am hoping that the meter isnt playing up in auto and surely if it was it would play up in manual too?

Incidentally the AG13 batteries seem to drain very quickly after a couple of weeks or so and I fear the worse but wonder whether there are any better batteries I could be using?

John

12-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The battery should last several months if not several years...
I wonder if the meter is somehow in a constant on mode?
Are you covering the lens with a dark cap or using a dark body cap? That could possibly moderate meter drain if the meter is staying "hot" even with the power off...
12-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
The battery should last several months if not several years...
I wonder if the meter is somehow in a constant on mode?
Are you covering the lens with a dark cap or using a dark body cap? That could possibly moderate meter drain if the meter is staying "hot" even with the power off...
I am certainly not getting months. I will make sure I keep a note of how long these £ shop batteries last and yes I cover the lens with a cap.

I did do a lot of night exposures possibly 30-40 when the camera was working for a couple of minutes at a time. Perhaps this has worn down the batteries?

John
12-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #4

Original Poster
I believe that the AG13 batteries are alkaline and lr44. I am wondering wether SR44 batteries ae the answer or one 3volt battery perhaps?

John

12-28-2012, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would recommend - and use, the CR1/3N (or compatible) 3V lithium type as they allow operation in much wider temperature range, have a long shelf life and higher power density that should last longer. They are more costly then using two of the regular 1.5 volt cels.
12-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #6

Original Poster
Yes. How strange I have just bought an Olympus (am I allowed to say that here?) OM40 and the seller has told me the same thing for that! Thanks
12-28-2012, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #7
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Snapper_UK Quote
I wonder if anyone can advise with regard to another pentax LX problem I am having.

If I shoot with fresh batteries in manual mode 4 seconds shutter speed is 4 seconds. However, if I do it in Automatic it seems always longer, perhaps 6 or 7 seconds. I wondered whether this was actual not a fault but something to do with OFT although the shots were taken under controlled circumstances and I dont think that the light was changing.

John
In manual mode a timer controls the shutter speed and if you set it to 4 seconds that's what you get.

In automatic mode the meter read out prior to you taking the shot shows you an approximation of the shutter speed that will be used. The actual shutter speed is determined during the exposure by a sensor reading the light reflected from the film during the exposure. The actual shutter speed is not restricted to the 1s, 2s, 4s,etc. displayed in the viewfinder, but can be any value, also 6 or 7 seconds as you have experienced.

12-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #8

Original Poster
Ole. Thank you.

Regards

John
12-28-2012, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

BTW, if you didn't already know, the LX can aperture priority autoexpose a scene for as long as it takes or batteries die - while monitoring the scene in realtime and making adjustments accordingly. I have conducted tests 2+ hours. It is the only camera - of any brand, past or present that can do this.

Kodak Ektar 100 with Pentax LX + Pentax M 28mm f2.8 in aperture priority autoexposure mode resulting in a 30+ minute exposure of the Hoover Dam.

12-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thats quite a shot

John
12-29-2012, 02:51 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

The Aperture priority AE of the LX is superb!
In my film days, I shot with 3 of them simultaneously on several locations, mostly industry, on FUJI Provia, H400 and Tungsten.
I had two tripods with an LX on each and had them shoot the darkest parts of the production halls in AE for hours, and, meanwhile, used the third one handheld for details (if possible). Having 9 lenses, this was easily done.
In order to control the working status of the camera, I made an little LED light that was connected to the sync port of the camera showing if the exposure was still going on. The sync port contact is closed while exposing...
Do use the silver oxide batteries!
But, the release button can shortcut and drain the batteries, I had this happening once, the little switch inside the button was worn out...
12-29-2012, 03:19 AM   #12
Forum Member

Please excuse what follows if it turns out to be a dull comment (I've never used, let alone owned, an LX)

Presuming that the film speed and aperture remain constant, it's only the shutterspeed that is varied by the camera. 6 seconds, when compared to 4, is only half a stop - so the LX is only really making a very minor adjustment when it automatically exposes for you. I wouldn't really consider this to be 'excessive' variation from the manually metered scene . . . but it does hint at some sort of inconsistency in the operation of the metering of the camera.

Do you know how this manifests itself on the developed film / prints yet, or have you not had the opportunity to get the processing done yet?

The battery drain would leave me a little more concerned - (bear in mind that I don't even know how the meter on the LX is activated!)

Battery drain is only something I've experienced (very limited experience!) with a P30 . . . . . . which has been left switched on . . . . . . . . more than once - hardly a camera problem in my case - just an issue with the idiot using it (something that limited use of a K1000 has never revealed as a problem - I seem paranoid about getting the cap back on if using that). It took over a week of being left 'on' for the P30 to kill its battery - so not that long really.
12-29-2012, 07:15 AM   #13

Original Poster
I will be developing soon so will see what difference if any the difference makes

The batteies worry me. I am placing my faith in a 3v battery but do have a niggling worry at back of mind

John
12-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Given the extreme latitude of most C41 or b&w film, you would be hard pressed to see an exposure difference between 4 seconds vs 6 seconds.
12-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you have film in the camera? The LX reads reflectance from the film plane and if theres no film in the camera it will expose from the black pressure plate. Hence, longer shutterspeeds...