Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Touching up Pentax black bodies!

After some years of use Pentax black bodies begin to loose the black coat. The brassing on the cameras looks unsightly. I have seen some bodies where the owner has applied some kind of ink or coating on the areas where the paint is gone and hides the brass nicely! Does anybody know what this coating or marker is?

Thanks in advance.

12-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Just think, there are some Leica owners that take a Scotchbrite pad to their black bodies to give them the worn look.
12-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mxis#1 Quote
After some years of use Pentax black bodies begin to loose the black coat. The brassing on the cameras looks unsightly. I have seen some bodies where the owner has applied some kind of ink or coating on the areas where the paint is gone and hides the brass nicely! Does anybody know what this coating or marker is?

Thanks in advance.
It's probably a paint marker like this: Sharpie Paint Pens | Extra Fine Oil-Based Paint Marker

It's better than any other permanent marker because it is liquid oil based paint in a metal/plastic cylinder. When the paint is dry it is as tough as any other oil based paint but not as durable as the original paint on the camera. If you make a mistake while applying the paint marker, immediately wiping it with a dry clean cloth or paper towel should take off the still wet paint fairly well followed by an acetone soaked cloth should return the surface to the original brassed condition. These paint markers are inexpensive should you wish to experiment with them.
12-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #4

Maybe try this or try not to worry about what your camera looks like, it's a tool, not a fashion (or maybe it is to you...?) accessory...

http://www.darcyshobbyshop.com/wp-content/uploads/wpsc/product_images/testor...at%20black.jpg

12-31-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am afraid that the conventional logic regarding brassing is that it belongs there and is a fact of life.

Steve
12-31-2012, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use hard enamel paint and a good sealer. I'm not a huge fan of brassing but I don't think it's the end of the world either. I usually buy a black SLR camera though because I like the fact that it's black. If I didn't than obviously any version of that camera would do and I wouldn't pay more for black. But we do, don't we? Certain black SLR's go for more because they are black. I personally think it's a bit hypocritical to roast someone for wanting to maintain the black finish if they so choose. I mean part of the reason that black Pentax models are more coveted in some cases is because they are black, right? Either choice is fine. Keep up the paint, let it brass, but let's live and let live on the subject because giving the OP a hard time because he wants to keep his black camera black isn't very fair.
12-31-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am afraid that the conventional logic regarding brassing is that it belongs there and is a fact of life.

Steve
I loved it on my Canon EF.
12-31-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I have used this gloss black enamel paint marker effectively for small touch-ups on camera bodies:

Paint, Gloss Black Touch Up Pen

Fargo Enterprises/Micro-Tools also sells a flat black enamel paint marker and lacquer sticks.

Chris

12-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I have used this gloss black enamel paint marker effectively for small touch-ups on camera bodies:

Paint, Gloss Black Touch Up Pen

Fargo Enterprises/Micro-Tools also sells a flat black enamel paint marker and lacquer sticks.

Chris
Great thanks for all the good advice!
Happy New Year!
12-31-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
Pentaxian

If I were to buy an old body and discover that it has had said touchups applied and not disclosed to me before purchase I would probably be exceedingly irate and most likely ask for a demand of some or all of my money back.

Just sayin'.
12-31-2012, 10:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Touching up the paint is noticeable close up, It also will wear off quickly. I've used the pen Chris mentioned. It is one of the better options. Black fingernail polish lasts longer but is a bit more noticeable.

I eventually gave up. It is a losing battle. I now think the brassed black bodies look better. They've grown on me. I have three black Canon F1N AE bodies. I now use the brassed ones more than the "nicer" one.
01-02-2013, 04:35 AM   #12

I use a permanent ink pen to retouch my stuff like those for cd/dvd and the ink comes out very easily with alcohol.
01-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
If I were to buy an old body and discover that it has had said touchups applied and not disclosed to me before purchase I would probably be exceedingly irate and most likely ask for a demand of some or all of my money back.

Just sayin'.
Actually, invariably the touch-up paint comes off a lot easier than the original finish, so you can remove it without much fuss if you so choose. (Just take care that no solvent vapors get near any plastic/glass parts, of course)

I'm in the pro-brassing camp, myself. As long as it's honest wear and all, of course.

(Also, btw, if you happen to have it, a little bit of good black nail polish or model paint works nice on any shiny black trim. It's one thing I *will* touch up is if there's painted steel that has chips that might actually let it corrode. )

(Also, F-1N fistbumps. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-03-2013 at 05:19 PM.
01-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #14
Lens Buying Addict

This is a discussion between aesthetes and tool-users.

Personally I get as much enjoyment out of looking at an SV or any of the K bodies as I do using them, especially in black. I understand the wish to cover the worn-through areas, thought wouldn't do it.

I know a guy who has an original, unmolested 289 Street Shelby Cobra. He intentionally has driven it hard and left it unrestored.

Restored it is llikely worth $300,000 at the right auction. Until just very recently he was rarely offered more than $100,000 for his car (since it was assumed full restoration would cost at least $150,000) - but suddenly everyone realizes his may be the ONLY 289 Cobra left that has NOT been restored.

He's leaving it as-is - and still driving it more than weekly. He supposes his children will eventually settle the issue, once and for all (assuming gasoline is even legal to use by then).

I vote leave it alone. But that's just me.
01-08-2013, 05:23 AM   #15
Site Supporter

CameraLeather sells black paint touch up pens, one in gloss and one semi-matte.

While I wouldn't paint a brassed collector camera, I have cleaned up some beaten user cameras. I used to use black sharpies. They blend the best, but wear off quickly. The paint pens last much better, and having a choice of finish helps get a match to the original camera.