Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #1

pentax K5

Hello everyone.this is my first post hope I'm clear enough on my questions. I have a pentax K5 from the 70's what is a good brand of telephoto lens to buy, maybe 200 or 300mm, what are the prices on the use market, is ebay a good place to buy lenses. I'm new to photography and want to use this camera to take wildlife photos, any help will be very appreciated. Thanks

01-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You mean you have a K2? There are lots of lenses available on the Marketplace, so I'd recommend you start there:
The Pentax Marketplace | Sell Pentax | Photographic Equipment for Sale - PentaxForums.com

All Pentax lenses are listed here:
Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

And third-party lenses are listed here:
Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database

You have a lot of research ahead of you IMO, but I'd recommend the Pentax K 300mm F4 if you want to shoot wildlife with film. More details on this lens can be found in the lens database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-02-2013, 01:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The K200/2.5 is also a very good lens (which I have), but it's generally considered a little short for wildlife, so Adam's suggestion is probably better. Besides Adam's links, make sure you also check out:

PENTAX : Select a PENTAX interchangeable lens camera or a lens model

To partially answer your other question, if you buy on eBay, your chance of getting a good lens is maybe 60-65%, in my experience. If you buy here in the Marketplace, your chances are closer to 90%+.
01-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #4

Original Poster
Pentax K2

Thanks for correcting me, you are right it is a K2, now on the lenses, should I look for telephoto or fixed? on telephoto what is a good magnification? Thanks again for all your help. All of you are very helpful.

01-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #5

A film telephoto lens will be about 80 - 200mm most commonly (I also have a 75-205), and you'd be using the 200+ portion if you want to bring in the image of wildlife from afar. I found this to be adequate for most shots. See my album on here for my chipmunk photo - this was @ 205mm of my Vivitar 75-205 f3.8 manual lens. I bought that lens used from a local store for under $200 in the 80's.

When I found this to be not enough, I add a 2x teleconverter, so this gave me in effect 410mm. The image darkens a bit but you do get the shot.

A recently inherited from a friend who passed away a Vivitar 500mm mirror lens, but I haven't used it yet. But I was with him when he bought it, and in the 80's it cost him about $300 new. They come up in the used market every now and then and compared with much more expensive prime lenses of the same focal length, it has its drawbacks, but most times, in bright outdoor light he got an acceptable image.

Higher than that, and then things start to get pricey..

Hope it helps!

Last edited by Reliant K1000; 01-03-2013 at 11:12 PM. Reason: added pic