Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Replacing a spotmeter, Spotmatic

I just replaced the battery in my Spotmatic and I can't seem to get any positive readings on the meter. I am wondering if the battery is any good or if the meter is shot. Can you get a replacement meter anymore from Pentax and if so can the average person do the work or is this definitely a job for a professional ?

02-18-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Don Nestor Quote
I just replaced the battery in my Spotmatic and I can't seem to get any positive readings on the meter. I am wondering if the battery is any good or if the meter is shot. Can you get a replacement meter anymore from Pentax and if so can the average person do the work or is this definitely a job for a professional ?
Might want to play w/ the battery a bit. Seems there are issues w/ newer types:
Pentax Spotmatic Meter Help - Rangefinderforum.com
02-19-2008, 06:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Not to mention, the service manual recommends using some tweezers to lift the battery contact tab. Be careful though as if it's brittle it could break.
02-19-2008, 09:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Replacement meter

[QUOTE=Don Nestor;179824].... Can you get a replacement meter anymore from Pentax and if so can the average person do the work or is this definitely a job for a professional ?/QUOTE]

AFAIK, Pentax no longer provides parts or service for any screwmount cameras. For that matter, I don't think they will service many of the oldest K-mount cameras (K1000, KM, ME, etc.), either. Your only source of parts is to buy a parts camera. Unfortunately, the meter seems to be the first thing to go in many cases.

Paul Noble

02-19-2008, 05:11 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Don Nestor Quote
Could be the wrong battery, but the meter on my Spotmatic died. I found Eric Hendrickson in this forum, and he was highly recommended. He seems to have all the parts he needs.

Go here Home
02-22-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry. I ordered 2 of the Wein Batts. after I wrote about my battery problem. I had ordered from Adorama in NY but they shipped me 1 PX400 and 1 PX625. Somewhere in this forum I started reading about batteries and discovered
that the "regular" Spotmatic took the 400 type and not the 625 which was for Spotmatic F's.
Their invoice indicates 2 of the 400's shipped. Will call them for either refund or exchange.
The meter must be history because I can't get any readings even with the new batt . Guess I'll be using a hand-held light meter for my pics!! Is there much to getting the old meter out?
Thanks for all your help,guys.
02-22-2008, 07:27 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well I learned a couple of lessons tonight. When all else fails---READ INSTRUCTIONS.
First I had neglected to remove a piece of green film on the battery plus side and then installation was easy except it still wouldn't work the meter. After fumbling with the battery cap and battery I thought I'd reverse the way the mfg. suggested I install it and lo and behold the blasted thing is in business again!!!! I LIVE AND LEARN.

02-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Same as it ever was...we've all been there, Don. When working with unfamiliar, complex systems and devices, the best advice ever given has always been RTFM, assuming there is one available.

I've only had to replace the battery on my Spotmatic three times in over 30 years (400 series) as they seem to last and last. That's been my experience with the built-in spot meter, too. Had it calibrated when I first bought the camera in the '70s, and it's been spot on (sorry) every time it's been checked since.

If yours hasn't been checked, I'd suggest you find a pro camera service shop in your area with long-term Pentax experience (ask around at local camera stores for recommendations) and get it calibrated; that simple servicing will really increase your success ratio when using the spotmeter. (As will practice learning to recognize medium-toned areas within your viewfinder to use when metering.) Finally, if your meter ever stops working for real, pro service replacement is definitely the way to go, as the new meter components will need calibration after they're installed.