Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which free light meter Android app?

I downloaded 3 free light meter apps for my fiancee Samsung Galaxy S2, from https://play.google.com/store/search?q=light+meter&c=apps&price=1

I downloaded:
1. Beecam Light Meter;
2. Rex Light Meter;
3. Light meter by Images_Illuminated;

So far 2, and 3 give same light meter reading but the beecam light meter always a stop lower than the other two. Anyone tried them as well?

Thanks,
Lee

01-08-2013, 11:51 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
none, better get a cheep real light meter
01-09-2013, 12:44 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I believe the light meter from those apps are reflected light meters meaning they work the same way your camera does or maybe even poorer considering it's a phone camera. Unless your phone has a white shiny ball on top of the screen, it'll be otherwise. i83N is right, get a real incident light meter. Cheers.
01-09-2013, 12:49 AM   #4

So I was shopping for a pedometer...

and realized that android has an app for this.... no need to get one since the app is pretty accurate.

Now I saw your post and have to say I'll have to give a light meter app a try.

01-09-2013, 04:26 AM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
The light meter app only accurate less than seventy percent of the time
01-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter

None...

I widely sampled the available Android meter apps and found them all to be highly inaccurate and also highly imprecise. They seldom give the same measurement twice and also seldom agree with hand-held or in-camera meters. I have my theories about why that might be, but don't have time to do the technical analysis.

Steve

(Hint: The light meter apps don't measure light...they extrapolate from the embedded EXIF on a photo taken by the phone's camera.)
01-11-2013, 07:02 AM   #7

Forget the apps; either buy a cheap meter on Ebay (something like a Leningrad 4) or use 'Sunny 16' rule. Either would be more satisfying than trying to aim a phone at your subject. Leningrad 4 can be used for incident readings with a clip-in diffuser that fixes to the case when not in use - watch this is present if you buy one.
01-13-2013, 12:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

You can also buy a digital LUX meter, it's as cheap as $10 and the same thing (companies charges in the name of photography). You can then use a small handy lux to exposure table for whatever ISO you are shooting.

01-14-2013, 02:32 AM   #9

Not sure I'd trust a $10 lux meter any more than the Android app; decent lux meters cost hundreds of dollars.
01-14-2013, 03:10 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mzsaunders Quote
Not sure I'd trust a $10 lux meter any more than the Android app; decent lux meters cost hundreds of dollars.
have you tried it? I have calibrated against Sekonik 358 and one I have pretty accurate for incident metering. The only thing you can't use it is for flash.
01-14-2013, 07:36 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The problem is your samsung Gal S2. Its a known problem with that model, (affects the Nexus S, and the newer Galaxy S3 and the Galaxy Nexus).

They have changed the physical light meter from previous devices, 3rd party apps can't access it like they could previously (I'm looking at you HTC Desire HD, Huawie 8310, HTC Legend etc etc etc.

It's explained in the app notes for most of those apps you mentioned... You did need the release notes right? :P

For the record, BeeCam Light Meter I used with great success on my Huawie X3. You have to be careful to point it towards what you were looking at it, the sensor input is small so it was surprisingly directional.

Anyway, the fun is over with current handsets (i.e handsets worth owning) until they change the sensor maybe..
01-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Hee. Interesting. I don't have a smartphone yet, but I sure wouldn't mind if they put one in a real lightmeter.

And it should make Dr. Mc Coy tricorder sounds when I take incident readings.
01-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #13
Pentaxian

hehehehe :P
01-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
The problem is your samsung Gal S2. Its a known problem with that model, (affects the Nexus S, and the newer Galaxy S3 and the Galaxy Nexus).

They have changed the physical light meter from previous devices, 3rd party apps can't access it like they could previously (I'm looking at you HTC Desire HD, Huawie 8310, HTC Legend etc etc etc.

It's explained in the app notes for most of those apps you mentioned... You did need the release notes right? :P

For the record, BeeCam Light Meter I used with great success on my Huawie X3. You have to be careful to point it towards what you were looking at it, the sensor input is small so it was surprisingly directional.

Anyway, the fun is over with current handsets (i.e handsets worth owning) until they change the sensor maybe..
I see... the problem is with the camera.