Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
JScottH

Pentax Z70

I wonder if any one can give me any advice/feedback.

I'm planning on picking up my first DSLR - the K10D and have decided I'd like to also pick up a Pentax SLR while I'm at it and do a photography course.

I would like the SLR to be as compatible with the Pentax legacy lenses as the K10D, so I can buy 2nd hand lenses and use them on both cameras.

I would also like the operation of the two cameras to be similar (if this is possible) in terms of control layout.

I live in Canberra, Australia. There seem to be many 2nd hand MZ50 and MZ60's for sale locally or on Ebay Australia, but as I understand, those two aren't compatible with the K mount lenses.

From my reading of these forums, the Z-1p, PZ-1p, Z-1, PZ-1, appear to be highly recommended, although I haven't come across any of those yet.

I have a few questions.

I have seen a couple of Z-70's. Are these considered to be any good? Is the lens mount plastic or metal?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jeremy

02-19-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
Forum Member

Hello Jeremy,

From Bojidar's website - Z-70 / PZ-70 - the lens mount appears to be plastic.
02-21-2008, 05:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Z-70/PZ-70 was the entry-level model in this series with a somewhat stripped-down specification. The lens mount is plastic indeed.
Generally people have some reservations about plastic mounts. However, I have never heard of a problem with them. Of course a lot depends on how it is used. An entry-level body is unlikely to see a massive lens attached to it.
02-23-2008, 07:21 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hey, now that's odd! I thought I was having a stroke and couldn't remember writing this post.

*Whew* I'm ok now.

Jeremy - check out a Pentax Mz-5n. It has a metal lens mount and a lightweight plastic body. The shutter speed is set by turning a knob on top of the camera - just like old time SLR's! It can be used as shutter priority, aperture priority or manual. I am in the process of purchasing one now. Here is a great resource for Pentax equipment. The PZ-1P apparently is a brute on batteries. My suggestion is to aim for a model that can utilize an AA battery pack.

Last edited by J.Scott; 02-23-2008 at 07:27 AM.
02-25-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
JScottH

I just wanted to thank everyone who provided advice and assistance regading my first slr camera purchase. I've decided to go with the PZ-1 (thanks Gruoso), which is winging its way from Chicago as I type this. I've also picked up two lenses - the SMC Pentax-M 50mm F2, and SMC Pentax-M 28mm F3.5 locally here in Australia.

I have armed myself with half a dozen photography books and I'm looking forward to getting to grips with my new (old) camera.

Also -a quick apology to the other J Scott for the apparent but totally unintended 'identity theft'.

Thanks again. It's a pleasure to find such a friendly and informative forum.

Cheers,

Jeremy
02-25-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Just a word of warning. There's no focusing aid (split-image or microprism) on the standard PZ-1 screen. Manual focusing may be a bit tricky, if you're not used to it.

Also, if you're using a dedicated flash for it, I find (at least on the PZ-1p) that the camera really likes to use the lens on wide open and with a slow slow shutter speed (example f 4.5 and 1/30). Just manually override it and the flash will figure it out.