Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-15-2013, 05:43 AM   #1

SD-11 focusing screen

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello everyone,
I want to use my Pentax MX for some macro photography, but with extension rings and lens stopped down, the stock split screen becomes too dark and almost unusable in the center. So I was searching for a matte focusing screen and as I wandered on ebay I found an SD-11 screen:
Asahi Pentax M Focusing Screen SD 11 with Case and Install Tool Used EXC Boxed | eBay
(some of you may think "Another fool trying to use an LX focusing screen on MX" but, please, hold it for a minute) I know that SD-1 was dedicated to MX and SD-11 for LX (according to Bojidar Dimitrovs page).
The interesting part: The screen comes with a dark plastic case and an original box labeled "Pentax focusing screen -M" and it says M SD-11 on both of them. I saw pentax MX screens in such cases. As far as I know LX screens came with a pale case (sorry I am colorblind) and a box that clearly stated its for LX.
Im scratching my head, is this some SD-11 for MX, or will it still overexpose? Have you seen something similar before?
Thanks for any help.

01-15-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I've bought a few focusing screens for my LX (managed to scratch a few before I finally found out how to interpret the instructions on how to insert them ), and they all came in a gray box with the Pentax logo on it, and a pale gray casing. I haven't bought the SD11 screen, though, so I don't know if that screen comes in a different box/casing.
01-15-2013, 07:35 AM   #3

Original Poster
Exactly what I was thinking about the cases. I had never seen an LX screen in a dark case. (but I was not looking for them, maybe they exist)
But I made a mistake. SD-11 is clear glass with a cross and SD-1 (SD-21) is matte... And according to Bojidar Dimitrov they were only made for LX. And If there ever was such a screen for MX, they would have changed the name, I suppose.
I think I will buy it anyway and try my luck
01-15-2013, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ajo1993 Quote
Exactly what I was thinking about the cases. I had never seen an LX screen in a dark case. (but I was not looking for them, maybe they exist)
But I made a mistake. SD-11 is clear glass with a cross and SD-1 (SD-21) is matte... And according to Bojidar Dimitrov they were only made for LX. And If there ever was such a screen for MX, they would have changed the name, I suppose.
I think I will buy it anyway and try my luck
I have a Pentax Accessories book from May 1988 and it has all the focusing screens. It indicates SD-11 can be used for the LX and MX.

Phil.

01-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #5

Original Poster
Wow, thank you very much. That is the most exact answer i could think of.
Now the question is if the case actually contains what is written on it.
01-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ajo1993 Quote
Wow, thank you very much. That is the most exact answer i could think of.
Now the question is if the case actually contains what is written on it.
No problem, I also found a copy of the MX focusing screen manual which may help:

http://c758710.r10.cf2.rackcdn.com/files/support/manual/221_1314744943-2017653916_manual.pdf

Phil.
01-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks again.

01-16-2013, 02:59 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I bought the SG screen for the MX, and it came in a grey box. I found it easy to change the MX screen.
05-22-2017, 02:09 PM   #9

Hello-

I stumbled on this thread trying to research a replacement screen for my MX. I'm not going to complain - it's big and bright, however I'm not crazy about the matte aspect of it, and would prefer a clear one similar to the one on my Canon AE-1. It's just my preference for focusing on subjects not centered. Found a used one in England for a reasonable price, so I went ahead and ordered it.

So, my question - I've searched for any additional info, but I'm still unclear (pun 100% intended) as to what this screen actually looks and functions like. This link: Pentax Focusing Screens gives a good diagram, but if anyone has any practical, real-life experience with this screen, I'd love to know if there's anything which would hinder me from using it in conventional photography applications. The chart specifies only "astronomy and microscopy", neither of which I do.

Thanks in advance?